Local shops recommending 245/75/16 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the info on this site, such as that summarized on the wiki, the 245/75 will rub with a lift. How is it that numerous local shops are then recommending this size for a stock setup replacement, knowing full well the car is a 2007 which is probably pretty sagged down by now? For a sale, or will it actually work? I have the stock Goodyear Wrangler ST 225/75/16 on stock 16x7 steelies now and at full lock, I can get some very very minor rub.

I've been trying to find a good price on the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs and the above is what I kept running into from the local shops.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After being in the tire business for quite a few years I know from experience that a lot of so called salesmen actually know nothing of what sizes will fit what when it comes to going bigger or anything besides stock and what it says in their little book. .
Much like a local 4 Wheel Drive shop telling me one day the only lift made for a KJ was a Daystar. Or the Goodyear salesman who told me they did not make a tire called a Duratrac, I didn't buy from them.....:whip:
Do they own or drive a KJ? Ask them how many they have sold and installed on stock KJs ?? Tell them you'd like to talk to the owners to see how they liked them :happy175:
Just between here , LOSTJEEPS and JeepForum say you have a vast knowledge of what works and what doesn't from actual people who have done it, seen it and heard it pop!:shrug::happy175:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wont fit. Don't know why they said it would. Like tom said above, many sales folk don't know their ass from their elbow. I have a 2.5 inch lift and 245/75/16's rub and required a fair amount of trimming and other mods. Don't get them.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I totally went spontaneous on this one and have bit the bullet. :Boo: on me for jumping the gun but gonna ride it out.

I have them on my jeep and have done some testing. The only way I've gotten them to noticibly rub so far is sharp turning, which in fairness, so did my stocks. I tried taking them over small boulders(about 8" high), brutal speed bumps, and any mounds I could find, while going straight then also turning and nothing happened at any speed. I kept speeding up until it felt like I was just punishing the car for rubbing satisfaction, but it never rubbed. I hit a speed bump straight on at way more speed than I ever hit them to see if that rubbed, and it did not. I drove over some moguls in this dirt area at about 30mph which is beyond reasonable for how that would have been travelled by me. I also tried every which way possible in this off road area to max out the articulation at turn to see what I could get to rub, but I never got it to. So, straight wise, I think short of damaging the car, they aint gonna rub. Believing the issue will probably show itself while turning in with articulation or racing into a steep parking lot driveway type scenario, I decided to climb various curbs of height at or above 80degree of turn-in at various low speeds(not trying to break an alignment over the test). No rub so far. I guess I will get bit eventually on something or other, but I just don't wheel hard enough to probably see the issue so far. I guess pull up a chair, grab your popcorn, and wait for the picture of my ripped off plastics, cause at least we can all have a laugh when it happens. :icon_lol: I bet it happens on a simple U-turn with a bunch of passengers, but not while doing anything I do off road which is mainly mud, snow, and light stuff. I should also mention, I chose these tires based on looks and review/rating, but I am not what you guys would call an off roader.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had 255-70s on mine before i lifted it and it was sagged to pieces, they rubbed, not bad enough that it wasnt like 20k miles before i pounded the pinch.. the rubbing actually ate through the plastic over the pinch on both sides.. sort of saved me part of the plastic trimming

they rubbed on the fog light doors too

rubbed after i lifted too but at that point i was also running spacers, after the pounded pinch they didn't rub anywhere except the fog light doors. Most people running anything over 245-70 are running a M/T which usually have some sort of protruding side lug rather than a square cap street tire style edge, and.. to top it off some tire designs while marked a 245-75 (30.5") measure out closer to something 1/2" shorter

but hey, it's whatever, i'm pretty certain if i had been running my mastercraft m/t's in 245-75 instead of the mich ltx m/s style street tire in 255-70 i was running at the time.. it would have ripped my fenderliners right out with the side lugs on the pinch weld

the street tires with their smoother edge where it was rubbing just didnt catch much and it was just "right there.." it did make my fender flares loose which.. i still havent fixed entirely but never lost one

btw

Pics or it didn't happen!

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up swapping them out with some street tires. Suppose to put them on tomorrow. The 225/75 Duratrac was a 10ply and that was just way too overkill for my needs. I was fortunate in that Certified Tire took them back and allowed the swap.