Little Red Light in dash-I want it to flash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, with the Liberty almost getting ripped off a few days ago (separate thread) I have a couple of questions.

I think I'm mad. Upon purchasing my Jeep, the financial person (the one that attempts to sell us all kinds of crap) suggested a disk type key that fits into a little slot prior to starting your car. Interested, but not sold, on the idea, I asked if what it's purpose was...seeings how the keys are the Sentry type and the car can not be started (or so it's designed to be).

So I passed on it, as she finally confessed it does nothing more than the key.

But my question is the little red light inside the instrument panel. Mine doesn't ever blink.

With all of my other vehicles...none of which have alarms on them, they all have the blinking light on them. The Ranger blinks theft in the instrument panel. The Focus blinks a red light on the dash next to the hazard lights, the Expedition blinks on top of the dash near the windshield.

So what's missing here? Though it might sound stupid, I have a feeling that little blinking worthless light might have given my wanna-be thieves a second thought of tampering with my Jeep. But being it doesn't blink, or do anything, it was almost an invitiation.

I've never owned a car that didn't come with this...and can't imagine Jeep would do this.

So what's the deal? Does everybody else's little red light blink, regardless of if you have the "actual" alarm or not?

If my dealer had something to do with canceling that one penny light because they wanted me to buy some junk...heads are going to roll.

And lastly, that "disk drive", for a lack of better terms, where you slide that keychain card into...do they come from the factory, or is that a dealer add-on? If it's dealer add on, then they basically leave it on there...and hope you buy the little card
The odd thing was, when I said I didn't want it, they stuck a similar small little disk in there but it just doesn't come out (too tiny to actually pull out by hand)? I'm guessing it's some kind of canceling mechanism but you folks know better than I.

I know it's a lot of questions but after getting my door handle half torn off, along with some sheet metal pried in, I'm questioning myself on what to do.

I think that little red light, though it doesn't actually do anything on my other cars, might serve more purpose than I initially gave it.

Thanks for reading my book! =D>

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Mine blinks... that's because I have the Security Group. If you do not have this, you do not have the alarm, which means no blinky light. You do have keyless entry though, I'm sure. Security Group would be on your window sticker. The light is located in the instrument cluster, bottom left. It activates when:

1. You lock the doors on the driver's side door, before closing it.
2. You lock the doors using your key.

What the dealer was trying to sell you does NOT come from the factory...

jimheem

Reaction score
Those sentry key things are annoying as hell, and easier to bypass then the factory key system.

Keep in mind, if someone wants to steal your car, it's gone no matter what.

But.. that said, if you want a blinky light

http://www.action-electronics.com/leds.htm

scroll down about half way. for $2.50 there is a blinking LED module with a good deal of wiring already connecting.

add a normally open relay http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=789849&page=1

and you can wire it to a fuse that comes on with the ignition so it's only blinking when the car is not running - or.. skip the relay and just have it blink all the time.

Pretty simple modification for under $10 and about 30 minutes of your time.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lizzys07Liberty said:
With all of my other vehicles...none of which have alarms on them, they all have the blinking light on them. The Ranger blinks theft in the instrument panel. The Focus blinks a red light on the dash next to the hazard lights, the Expedition blinks on top of the dash near the windshield. So what's missing here?

A Ford emblem. Leave it to ford to have the alarm light be active when there's no alarm to be armed ](*,) . You'd be best served by getting a real alarm system Check out Viper's systems, one of my friends installs them and everybody loves them.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jimheem said:
Those sentry key things are annoying as hell, and easier to bypass then the factory key system.

Keep in mind, if someone wants to steal your car, it's gone no matter what.

I have to respectfully disagree... I added the sentry key thing to my Liberty and it works very nicely. Yes, it may be bypassable, but I like that its a nice easy passive system that affords a degree of protection.

When the sentry key is enabled the red light on the dash does indeed blink when the doors are locked with the key fob.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think he's just confused. Sentry Key is the name of the engine immobilizer that's offered from the FACTORY for Chrysler vehicles.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So essentially, there's no way to actually activate the factory red light within the instrument cluster? It appears that it doesn't light up when I look the doors prior to closing them either.

I found the Mopar alarm EVS I (82209700AB) system, but that states that a light will be blinking out of the dashboard. I'm assuming this is the correct Mopar alarm everybody is recommending?

I don't mind spending the $140 for the alarm, but would just prefer the original light start going on rather then the dealer drilling a hole in the dash and installing another light on top. I guess on the bright side, with the whole "perimeter/interior" protection the horn would go off if someone started prying at the door handle again?

Guess I can't have it both ways? [-X

Any guesses on what the dealer will charge to install it?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For making the light blink w/o an alarm, I really doubt that you'd find a way to do it that didnt involve lots of effort. (i.e. pulling the dashboard apart, etc). Installing the correct EVS module and having the sentry keys programmed will, indeed, enable the blinky light (at least for my model year).

The one you're looking at there looks like it has the blinky light separately, and doesnt add sentry keys (I dont know, are sentry keys now standard?) I added the EVS II module to my 2002, it was less expensive than that if memory serves. I had to have the dealer reprogram the BCM to recognize the Sentry Keys and cut them for me, I think that was another $25 or $30. I bought the part elsewhere and they just installed it.

Having said all that, I did a quick search and cant find anything similar to what I have for a 2oo7.

-Blu

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2005 model. If I remember right without the correct key this is what will happen if someone takes the Liberty for a ride:

1. After 30 sec. the engine will die & not restart without the key fob.
2. Lights will flash on & off.
3. The horns starts blowing on & off.

I have an extra key without the fob so when I tow the Liberty behind my motorhome I can have the steering unlocked. But if someone tries to steal the car using that key...numbers 1 to 3 happens!

Terry

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fulltimer said:
I have the 2005 model. If I remember right without the correct key this is what will happen if someone takes the Liberty for a ride:

1. After 30 sec. the engine will die & not restart without the key fob.
2. Lights will flash on & off.
3. The horns starts blowing on & off.

I have an extra key without the fob so when I tow the Liberty behind my motorhome I can have the steering unlocked. But if someone tries to steal the car using that key...numbers 1 to 3 happens!

Terry

Its 3sec.. Not 30sec. O:)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lizzys07Liberty said:
With all of my other vehicles...none of which have alarms on them, they all have the blinking light on them. The Ranger blinks theft in the instrument panel. The Focus blinks a red light on the dash next to the hazard lights, the Expedition blinks on top of the dash near the windshield.

Your Fords do have an Alarm if there's a blinking light, and it's basically the same thing as the Sentry key in the Chryslers. It's called PATS, Passive AntiTheft System. It's a transponder key, and the vehicle will not run unless started with the programmed keys. It arms itself every time the vehicle isn't running, nothing to dowith locking the doors, that's why it's passive. It's definately better than nothing.

Oh, and you can buy the Sentry key system for your Jeep separately and have it installed... this place carries it. http://www.mydodgeparts.com/

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Lizzys07Liberty said:

Your Fords do have an Alarm if there's a blinking light, and it's basically the same thing as the Sentry key in the Chryslers. It's called PATS, Passive AntiTheft System. It's a transponder key, and the vehicle will not run unless started with the programmed keys. It arms itself every time the vehicle isn't running, nothing to dowith locking the doors, that's why it's passive. It's definately better than nothing.

Oh, and you can buy the Sentry key system for your Jeep separately and have it installed... this place carries it. http://www.mydodgeparts.com/

Good to know about the Fords, thanks! I also read your thread regarding having your Jeep stolen. I'm glad you got it back in fairly good condition...that must have been a nightmare to have to go through that.

Through the information I've gathered upon this forum, along with Marlon's confirmation, I have the Sentry key thing. It's just the oddball dealer chip thing they attempted to sell me...that I passed on. The financial person couldn't really explain what it did more than the actual Sentry key itself. Plus, I'm the type of person that would lose that little "slide-in chip" thing at the worst time. I can just imagine calling AAA and explaining that I have the key, the battery is good, have gas, but I lost a little chip that allows my car to start.

As stated prior, I think I'll just go with this Mopar alarm EVS I (82209700AB) system.

I realize that if thieves want the Jeep bad enough, they'll find a way, but hope with the Mopar alarm, it'll at least keep some of the so-call thieves away from it.

Thanks again to all that chimed in! =D>

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of OT but I heard some municipalities are banning car alarms under noise pollution bylaws... I mean really... when was the last time you even turned your head when a car alarm was going off...

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hauntedyards said:
Kind of OT but I heard some municipalities are banning car alarms under noise pollution bylaws... I mean really... when was the last time you even turned your head when a car alarm was going off...

I agree with that, then again, I wouldn't expect someone else to intervene while a thief is tampering with my car.
But if I notice it going off in front of my house, at two in the morning, I'll be greeting somebody with a Louisville Slugger in my left hand and a Smith and Wesson in my right. A couple of ***** of the Jeep crying out for help is all it will take.