Line-x the roof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep got hit pretty good in the hail last year, instead of them chopping off my roof and welding another one on I opted for them to just pop the big dents out and touch up the cracks in the paint. After almost a year I have started to notice what I believe is rust coming thru microscopic cracks in the roof around a few of the smaller dents. Instead of sanding it down and getting every bit out I am thinking about taking it to a local line-x dealer and see what their opinion is. Anyone have a line-x'd roof? Experience with line-x? I'm curious about the cost and all but still just inquiring. Let me know of any line-x experiences, or painted roofs. Oh yeah. My jeep is red, and I am thinking about just going with a black or dark gray so I don't have to worry too much about color matching.

Last edited:

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple members have bedlined their KJ's roof and I'm sure they will chime in here.

You could do it yourself fairly easily with one of the spray on bedliners.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Elmer, and that's one thing I want to inquire about. I'm probably gonna have the jeep another 5 years. What is the durability of a DIY liner. I don't have a spray gun or a place to spray myself though.

Dangerousdave26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mythbusters did an episode about spray on bedliner last year. It turns out it is pretty much BOMB proof.

[YT]MnsZFb1dDSA [/YT]

I think your real problem will be the rust will still grow under the liner on the roof. Still it might make another 5 years with it.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that's why I want to catch it and work on it before any deep rust, you should be able to sand down and treat minor surface rust.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I DIY'ed it using DupliColor bedliner.

Pretty easy stuff to work with - being water based it cleans up easily. I bought the gallon size kit, comes with everything you need to do the job. Depending on where you live it might be getting too cold to do right now unless you have a heated space to use. I did mine this summer.

Some pics:

Prep:

You must be registered for see images

More prep:

Prep again, but also gives an idea of what it looks like when finished:

I had some mild rust and deep scratches on my roof and since I figured few see it due to the lift that I'd go ahead and bedline it. I stole the idea from tjkj2002... :party52:

Bob

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've used the duplicolor truck bed liner from advanced auto parts in a can, its really easy, just sand down a little on what you want to paint, tape off windows and things you see like above and paint it. i've painted my fender flares, my front and back bumper, grill, a strip on the bottom of the door (from the line below LIBERTY all the way to the bottom of the door) and also the hood (painted the 3 low spots on my hood and left the 2 high points tan) i love the way it looks, lasts a long time and super easy to do. if you get overspray, once u notice it, you can take your hand and rub it off before it becomes too dry. i'll post pics after i get back from the field for training tomorrow

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duplicolor is junk,will shrink and crack and no UV protection at all,same goes for that plasticdip junk,hurculiner,and basically any others bought at places like advance auto or autozone.

Had my roof bedlined for 10 years,also covering hail damage but no cracked paint or rust.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used this stuff.........
U.S. Chemical & Plastics

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, Troy - can you clarify your thoughts on the product I used to improve the appearance and usability of my Jeep? I'm not quite clear on whether I made a bonehead decision after a lot of time researching my purchase...

:disgust:

A simple "keep an eye out for shrinkage and UV fading..." would've done the job.

Bob

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the cold is a major concern of mine. If I do it myself it will have to wait for spring and all the salt and crap. But thank all of you for your responses, I will definitely be doing more research on different products and everything.

Members online

No members online now.