Lightbar switch connector/molex help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Any wiring experts out there? My 03' Renegade came with a broken lightbar switch (literally, the physical switch cap was missing, exposing the circuitboard). I pulled a switch from an old Range Rover, but the prongs that fit into the molex connector are different.

Can I use the Rover switch anyway? Do I need to cap off some of the wires somehow? Switch out the molex?

My wiring know-how extends only to fixing/re-routing things. I've no idea what different wire colors etc represent. :( I would just buy a new switch, but I'm broke. (Anybody want to hire someone odd for odd jobs? I'm well qualified, hehe.)

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

You must be registered for see images attach

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some side jobs and replace it with factory parts. It's not worth cutting the connector off, and that land rover switch likely isn't up to ***** for proper amp draw anyways.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some side jobs and replace it with factory parts. It's not worth cutting the connector off

Eh...unfortunately paying off medical bills takes priority. Also, I'd lose my membership in the Die-Hard DIY-ers Club if I didn't try everything to fix it myself first. I've seen a lot of threads about folks installing after-market switches, so I'm sure something can be rigged. I just don't know which wires are what.

And cut the wires?! :eek: Sacrilege! I'd just use a pin-extractor and pop 'em in a new molex.

Thanks, though!

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction, at least?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to cut connectors, because those pins aren't going to fit into that molex.

The switch you want to use is not a viable option.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to cut connectors, because those pins aren't going to fit into that molex.

Okay...I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing. The 'pins' I'm referring to are the crimped silver wire-caps in the pic below, and the molex is the white plastic piece. Molex connectors come in every shape and size imaginable, so 'fit' isn't an issue. It's just a frame to keep a firm connection and to make it easier to connect/disconnect components.

I can extract the pins/wires and put them in a new molex that will fit onto the back of the rover switch. However, I need to know which wires are the 'ground' etc because that determines which prong on the rover switch I line them up to.
*sigh* Maybe I need to look for some kind of visual dictionary of wire types. sad2.gif Oh well. It was worth a shot.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet Billwill has the answer. He's the resident electrical guru and has every wiring diagram there is for the Liberty. Shoot him a PM.

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can only switch pins if the pins are the same style, which they are not. not every pin is the same. they are specific to their connectors.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet Billwill has the answer. He's the resident electrical guru and has every wiring diagram there is for the Liberty. Shoot him a PM.

Bob

Thanks, Bob! I will definitely do that. My head is hurting from staring at too many diagrams.

JeepCoMJ: I didn't realize the pins were different as I haven't pulled 'em out yet. That was just one idea I had. All that matters to me is getting a switch hooked up and functioning.

Since starting the thread, I've discovered a few things about my 'original' switch that have thrown me for a loop.
-One: none of the wire colors seem to match the wiring diagram or any photographs I've seen.
-Second: I've seen three different pin configurations.
-Third: I didn't know at first that the OEM switch has a relay built in to it.

So...I still need to figure out which wire is what. I can't use the photos or diagrams to translate the colors, because they are all pinned differently. (At least, I can't without knowing more about every pin-hole.) So, I'm undecided on whether I should rip out the whole piece of harness from the switch to the connector by the window and make one that actually looks like the diagram, or try my luck and guess. Either way, I'll need to scrounge up a relay somewhere too.

Anybody out there with an aftermarket lightbar switch and pics of how you plugged in the wires?

Thanks, all!

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a relay, or you're going to start your dash on fire and melt it down.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a relay, or you're going to start your dash on fire and melt it down.
Either way, I'll need to scrounge up a relay somewhere too.
Er...yeah...got that covered already. :-s

All I need to know is what the correct pin-out is, and ideally what the wires are. Then I will be able to attach the wires to my relay, fuses, and switch correctly. Already got my hands on a relay and a pair of inline fuses, so it's just a matter of hooking it all up.