Help me fit in my Jeep. Don't want to buy another car! I'm super tall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rock_minute

Reaction score
Hi!

Up front, I'm 6'9" and all legs.

I've had this '05 Liberty coming up on a year, and driving it has been a literal pain. I've developed a wicked case of IT Band Syndrome, per my physical therapist, by having my leg at a > angle (where my knee is where the point is), instead of, you know, straight as possible, like the I letter, thigh and knee and foot aligned.

He has given me physical therapy, but said the only real way to stop hurting is to find a way to drive where my leg is aligned.

Right now, this is absolutely an impossibility with this Jeep. If I keep my leg straight, my knee comes right up against the steering wheel and stops me from turning it.

So I have 3 thoughts:

1. Buy an extender. I found one online, and it's one the way.

2. HOWEVER, if I extend the seat back to where I may need it, then the steering wheel gets further and further away. Is there an extender for a steering wheel, as well?

3. Is it possible to lower the seat at all? Even by just an inch? I don't think so. I gave a good luck on the underside and don't see where the room would come from. But figured I'd ask anyways.

I've spent the weekend vehicle shopping because of how bad the pain is, but in this market, used cars are SO expensive against the mileage on them. It's insane. I was able to fit in the '21 Forester with my knee straight like 95% of the time test driving it, primarily because it has the telescopic steering wheel and has lots of leg room. But it's far outside my budget.

I'd much rather keep this Jeep, and try to mod it until buying a car is the last option.

Any help?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A seat extender is the only option I have heard of over the years
I suppose you could remove the frame and weld up your own lower mounts to lower it an inch

rock_minute

Reaction score
A seat extender is the only option I have heard of over the years
I suppose you could remove the frame and weld up your own lower mounts to lower it an inch
Huh. So no steering wheel extender? Just need two inches. If not, maybe the seat extender rails aren't worth it.

rock_minute

Reaction score
I bought the Mische Big Boy Bracket worth every penny!
Lensman, or anyone.

My Mische bracket came in the mail today! Quick question. Can this just be done with a long / large enough socket wrench? Or to tighten the bolts should I buy / rent a torque wrench?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lensman, or anyone.

My Mische bracket came in the mail today! Quick question. Can this just be done with a long / large enough socket wrench? Or to tighten the bolts should I buy / rent a torque wrench?
no torque wrench needed

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Are there any aftermarket steering wheels with a deeper dish that might help your fit?

I saw many tall Americans trying to find a good fit in Fiats and Alfas when I lived in Italy. The pedals were so close and the steering wheel so far away!

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 6ft and it's a tight fit for me in the driver's seat, so I feel what you're saying. Matters are even worse in the front passenger's seat, especially with that dumb bar above the glove box. I always have felt power seats seem to limit the amount of fore/aft adjustment even more.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 6ft and it's a tight fit for me in the driver's seat, so I feel what you're saying. Matters are even worse in the front passenger's seat, especially with that dumb bar above the glove box. I always have felt power seats seem to limit the amount of fore/aft adjustment even more.
I hate that grab bar too. The earlier models had a flat panel there. I pulled one last time I was in the parts yard. I haven't messed with it yet. I'll have to figure something out for the airbag light. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: JRB

Latest posts

Members online