Lifting a Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I am planning larger tires, I should look into 4.10 gears? I know right now it runs 3.73s and when I go to the larger tires my speedometer will be incorrect. Will my gas mileage suffer because of the 3.73s? And will 4.10s help with that and get my speedometer closer to being correct?

Yes it will help A LOT with 4.10s

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it will help A LOT with 4.10s

X2 on what Tom said.

I ran the stock 3.73's with 255/70-16's and mileage dropped to the 15mpg range on the highway and the 255's aren't that much bigger than stock. But it was enough to throw the gearing out of whack and cause the engine to either lug or force me to turn off the OD.

Now I'm running 265/70's with 4.10's and mileage is up to 18 to 20 depending on speed on the highway and I rarely turn off the OD now during normal driving. My speedo is off by 5% according to GPS measurement but not a big deal. The EVIC-reported mpg ain't even close :happy175:

And don't tell anyone, but my odometer is also 5% off :gr_grin:

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I am planning larger tires, I should look into 4.10 gears? I know right now it runs 3.73s and when I go to the larger tires my speedometer will be incorrect. Will my gas mileage suffer because of the 3.73s? And will 4.10s help with that and get my speedometer closer to being correct?

Is yours auto or stick?

Our KJ's speedo became more accurate after the larger tires. Never did a 'before' calc for fuel economy, but now it pulls down 18mpg (hwy) with 3.54 and 6-speed manual.

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours auto or stick?

Mine's an automatic.

OK, since I am going with larger tires it sounds like 4.10s are the way to go. If I was thinking about a locker (ARB or Detroit TrueTrac) I'm guessing that would be the time to do that.

I remember on a friends YJ he needed a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit, on the transfer case (NV231), when he lifted his Jeep. It also strengthened that part (I think his came with a new shaft) and had a stronger yoke.

I have seen the kits for the Liberty, since I also have the NV231, and was wondering if it is a good idea to add the SYE kit? My Liberty is not as short as a YJ so I think it is questionable.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper A-arm pocket is hitting below the lip where i am pointing with the arrow in the photo. I need to work on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Did you tighten the UCA bushing bolts with the weight of the Jeep on the ground? It looks like they got tightened when they were drooping.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi dude1116

No i did not tighten UCA with the weight of my jeep on the ground. That is my left side of UCA showed in the picture.

Anything installed that have bushings should have full weight beofre you do final tighening. If not you are preloading that bushings. That goes for UCAs/ rear lower , sway bar etc

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I have noticed - the common theme is people put their lift on, torque everything down and then find out you don't torque until the weight is back on the vehicle.

So as we discuss lifting a Liberty, I learn what to do and not to do.

This really helps. Thanks, everyone!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi dude1116

No i did not tighten UCA with the weight of my jeep on the ground. That is my left side of UCA showed in the picture.

Easy fix. Lift the Jeep up, open the engine bay, loosen the 4 UCA bolts a few turns, then drop the Jeep to the ground and re-tighten. You WILL notice a difference in the way that it rides. I also have a feeling that it will stop the arms from hitting the body.