Lift the Ladies Mall Crawler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep - works fine you can even go offroading - All-J's has them on sale for $155

I'd still recommend you add the extended bumpstops.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, And this'll be My first time installing a lift, I have Spring compressors, Pickle forks, and a whole crap load of other auto tools, Will I need anything lift-specific?

Also, You say this will handle off-roading well? If I were to put this on my stocker, It'd be fine, too? I was going to get this for hers, and Get a Frankenlift for mine, But I'm not really that into offroading... So if this'll work, I might just save the 600 Dollars. I don't need more than 2" with the stuff I do.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, And this'll be My first time installing a lift, I have Spring compressors, Pickle forks, and a whole crap load of other auto tools, Will I need anything lift-specific?
Unless you're planning on replacing them I would not recommend that you use pickle forks on any of the ball joints - trust me, I've been there. Plenty of info on how to get things apart without them in a couple of threads on here, I'll dig them up for you.

Also, You say this will handle off-roading well? If I were to put this on my stocker, It'd be fine, too? I was going to get this for hers, and Get a Frankenlift for mine, But I'm not really that into offroading... So if this'll work, I might just save the 600 Dollars. I don't need more than 2" with the stuff I do.
I'm running the Daystar on my Jeep right now, and it was on another KJ before I got it. It's OK offroad but if I had it to do over again I think I'd get the OME coils and go that route. Frankenlift is nice but for what I do I think the OMEs would be a better match (unless I win the powerball tonight and can afford to do something more ;) ).

EDIT: here is a write-up on installing the Frankenlift. It doesn't go into detail on installing the spacers on the front strut assemblies but other than that it covers most everything you'll be doing with your install.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
make sure you replace the shocks front and rear as well, will have to sooner or later may as well do it now, will at least need new rear
And agree with above NO pickle fork, worst tool you can have around the KJ and don't need it
Oh and look into bump stops unless you want stacking of the front springs
Oh and by this time another 150 bucks you will have a OME full spring lift with Rancho shocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2.5 Daystar and am in the process of upgrading to the OME coils front and rear. MY KJ is an 03 and has 94,000± miles on it. If I would have known that my coils were about shot at the time I would have saved up then and bought the OME to start with. Not sure what year your KJ's are, but might want to replace your coils too.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on just getting the spacers if I go this route with mine, I just redid the stock suspension about 10,000 Miles ago with factory parts... The originals didn't feel right after 150,000 miles. Since they are basically new, No need to change them, right?

With hers, though... I'll just replace them while I have it apart.

Now bumpstops... With a 2 inch lift, am I going to notice a difference without them?

I thought I heard something about Hockey pucks in one of these threads...

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hockey pucks are for the rears - they keep the springs from falling out when extended - however I'm not sure they work with the Daystar rear.
What I'm concerned about is the front - I had Daystar for 30k mile and I'm sure I caused the front springs to sag by not having long enough bumpstops -

http://www.trailquest.com/teraflex/KJ/suspension.shtml#bumpstop

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'm concerned about is the front - I had Daystar for 30k mile and I'm sure I caused the front springs to sag by not having long enough bumpstops -

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know about that - While I fully agree that it's a good protective measure to have the bumpstops, wouldn't you really have to be wheeling pretty hard to bottom out the springs? I'd think most of us are just fine with OEM bumpstops. Of course, it's good measure to have them just in case. By the time you realize you do actually need them, it's too late.

Reason I bring it up is because I'd think your springs are just fine and any sag wouldn't be caused by the lack of extended bump stops.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be wheeling hard to get the front flexed to the point where the springs are binding, even some mild obstacles could do it. Bottom line is with the extended bumpstops in you prevent that from happening regardless of the difficulty of the terrain.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to be wheeling hard to get the front flexed to the point where the springs are binding, even some mild obstacles could do it. Bottom line is with the extended bumpstops in you prevent that from happening regardless of the difficulty of the terrain.

X's two;)

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD is probably worst case - the springs are stronger - and they get that way from thicker wire in the coil - so there's a lot less space before you hit metal to metal.
It was never obvious that it was happening - but when I pulled them out to put in the OME and it gained height - and it was obvious the old coils were bad.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

X3 - I don't hav emine in yet and I don't off-road and I can see that I have bottomed out the stock bumpstops. Putting my extended stops on this weekend.

And just as an FYI, If you can find the KJ09115BK kit, it already includes the front bumpstops from Daystar and it is usually the same price. Everything else is the same.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yep - works fine you can even go offroading - All-J's has them on sale for $155

I'd still recommend you add the extended bumpstops.

$155.00 American dollars!
Wow, not here.
A 4X4 shop 30 minutes drive from here sells them for... Get ready for it!
$ 523.91 Cdn ($ 412.47 Usd)
http://www.national4wdonline.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=544

I went there today and asked if that was the correct price and the fellow on the other side of the counter simply said "Yes".
Then I told them what they retail for State side. :mad: Needless to say, he wasn't too impressed when he heard that they sell for $155.00. U.S. money! ($190.65 with currency exchange)
I often wonder what kind of glue Canadian retailers huff when they set their prices.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Daystar lift and only used on puck per side on the rear. Should i have stacked two on each side?(dunno)

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek:

(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)

You are kiddin'.....right?

Well considering i had the lift installed for me and thought i gave them all they needed. (2 PUCKS PER SIDE) They only used one? Laugh it up!!!!
The only STUPID question, is one not asked!!! So I'm asking.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well considering i had the lift installed for me and thought i gave them all they needed. (2 PUCKS PER SIDE) They only used one? Laugh it up!!!!
The only STUPID question, is one not asked!!! So I'm asking.

Don't feel bad dude! Having the piss taken out of you by at least one European is normal.
It could of been me! :D:D:D

But you are 100% right. The only STUPID question, is one not asked.