lift Q's----upgrade time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, polomaan, I'm in about the same position as you and have been trying to decide what to do to mine. If you want to see how a bunch of different KJs look and how their owners have modded them, there are alot of people that I have found on CarDomain.com. You'll have to wade through a lot of stockers and some that are rollin' on 22's, but you can get some good ideas. Also, go over and check out the local LOST clubs and see the photos of runs and stuff. Hope this gives you some inspiration on what to do, I know it's made me decide what I want mine to look and how it should perform.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camp+Coffs+2006+096.jpg

Old Man emu Coils, Rancho Struts and Shocks and a 10mm spacer in the rear
245/70R16 BFG AT's

side shot

You must be registered for see images

same lift with 245/75R16 MAXXIS Buckshot Mudders

mud+tyres+005.jpg

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ with 2" lift from 4WD.com and 245/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on stock rims. Mostly on road use with occasional off-road adventures. I have the complete set (4) of Mopar skid plates to protect the vitals and added Mopar rock rails to protect the lower body.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2" BDS lift kit with underbody skids. 265/70/16 Pathfinder All Terrains. I do mostly highway driving but find that I am pulled towards some off-road areas around town.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks so much guys for posting up the pics! I'm still undecided but am leaning toward the rusty's suspension lift. I think it's good all around and not $$$$$. I am however enticed by the OME suspension lift. Which one would you guys choose? I think I'm going to go with BFG AT's for tires... they look great and costco has them for $60 off if you buy 4 so... not a bad deal either. I want some that are 31's but I was wondering what the max I could go with in width...? I have the renegade rims that I think are 16"

THANKS ALL!

-GARRETT

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
polomaan said:
thanks so much guys for posting up the pics! I'm still undecided but am leaning toward the rusty's suspension lift. I think it's good all around and not $$$$$. I am however enticed by the OME suspension lift. Which one would you guys choose? I think I'm going to go with BFG AT's for tires... they look great and costco has them for $60 off if you buy 4 so... not a bad deal either. I want some that are 31's but I was wondering what the max I could go with in width...? I have the renegade rims that I think are 16"

THANKS ALL!

-GARRETT

GET THE 15" ROCK CRAWLER RIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to buy BFGs, dont buy them metric, its way cheeper to buy standard sizes. I bought metric :( the standard equivelant is at least $50 cheaper per tire, which is more than enough to justify buying the rims.

Which reminds me, where the heck can you buy those 15" crawlers that I am talking about?

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Desert Rat. Almost everyone has them or some variation. For five wheels, 31x10.50 tires, mount, balance, lugs, and shipping I paid $1057. You probably couldn't buy five metric tires for that.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mutt said:
I bought mine from Desert Rat. Almost everyone has them or some variation. For five wheels, 31x10.50 tires, mount, balance, lugs, and shipping I paid $1057. You probably couldn't buy five metric tires for that.
I bought my 5 BFG 265/75s for 900 and change and thats 300 under their price they tried to charge.

Thats the on the truck out the door price I paid.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metric?

what's the deal with metric tires? I don't plan on buying them... whatever they are...the tires that i saw at costco were nice and too $$. like around 150 or something

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imagine if rulers were sold in a given length in either inches or centimeters.

They would be the exact same thing but the ruler in centimeters costs 40-50% more.

Tires are the same. They come in metric or standard.
You can buy a set of bfg at 31"X10.5" tires for 100-120 each,
or a set ofbfg at 265/70 tires for 160-180 each. (265/70 is about 30.7")

The main difference is that you cant get the standard sizes on a 16" rim which is what comes stock. 90% of 15" rims wont fit, but the rock krawler style 15" rims do fit, which enables you to get the less expensive but equal quality tire; with the added bonus of better looking rims.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That really does clear things up. I understand about how the metric is more $ but did not get that you can't get BFG's for 16" rims without getting metric. I'll have to check that out. I still think I'll go with the same rims I have because I really like the dark grey renegade ones that I have on. It sounds like a good plan but still would be WAAAAY more $$$ if i bought new rims and then bought new tires.... Thanks for the input though (cool)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
polomaan said:
Thank you! That really does clear things up. I understand about how the metric is more $ but did not get that you can't get BFG's for 16" rims without getting metric. I'll have to check that out. I still think I'll go with the same rims I have because I really like the dark grey renegade ones that I have on. It sounds like a good plan but still would be WAAAAY more $$$ if i bought new rims and then bought new tires.... Thanks for the input though (cool)

Not just BFGs, as far as I know there are no tire manufacturers who make a 31" tire in standard measurement for a 16" rim.

That why I was saying that it is the same price for a set of wheels and standard tires, as it is for a set of metric tires; not just BFGs. Bottom line, BUY THE RIMS!

Is there any reason not to? Its cheaper and looks better, and functions better.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sharper said:
[/i][/b] Hi thinking of a 2" lift for my KJ any suggestions?

Whatever you choose try to stick with a lift that uses new springs. I use a 2" BDS lift kit. Includes new strut plates, coils (front/rear), and rear shocks. I have had it for about a year and put on 20K+ with no problems. I did upgrade my shocks/struts to the Rancho ones because they are far better for ride quality.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rustys springs are way softer than say OMEs I run the Heavy Dutys on mine, I just bought the springs from All-Js and the front struts then got the rear Ranchos from Summit Racing. Ride is great and cheaper than buying regular OME package lift. Also did a clevis while I was at it