Liberty rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Just got back from the dealer, for my front shocks and yes they are shot, but what they have in stock won't fit on my CRD, asked them to check the rear end fluid while there, had it changed in mid November at another dealer, in the midwest, they have come back and told me the rear end needs replacement. I've never abused this jeep, or any other for that matter, I only have 35,000 miles seems funny going out so soon, the paper work from the other dealer says they put 75-140 synthetic in the rear end.
I guess the good news is that warranty is going to cover everything, but why would the rear end bearings start making noise in less than 2,000 miles?:confused:

superliberty

Reaction score
WHAT!!!!!! Did they show you why it need to replaced? I will be very skeptical about changing a rear end so soon, if the vehicle was not abused and driven like a maniac.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Many dealers are barely surviving right now. Apparently Chrysler is a little freer with the pocket books than DaimlerChrysler was for warranty repairs. If you read enough on the intardnet, many believe that dealers, especially Chrysler, are trying everything to stay afloat including warranty "repairs" that are just being done for the reimbursement money. Sounds plausable.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I actually heard it the other way around....Chrysler was tight on the purse strings, so they are inspecting a higher # of so-called warranty repairs, which is forcing the dealers to be more stingy about what they fix under warranty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I actually heard it the other way around....Chrysler was tight on the purse strings, so they are inspecting a higher # of so-called warranty repairs, which is forcing the dealers to be more stingy about what they fix under warranty.
Correct,Fiat is forcing them to strictly follow the warranty guidelines.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked for a ChryPlyDodge dealer decades ago much of the warranty work was "padded". Jeep was still American Motors back then.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct,Fiat is forcing them to strictly follow the warranty guidelines.

Well, sort of makes sense....I mean, why should we all have to pay higher prices for our cars just so the dealer can fluff his warranty work?

This is just like fraudulent insurance scams, where it's the honest people that end up paying more.

I understand the need to provide a certain level of service, but if the dealer is reputable, chances are they'll step up and take care of the customer out of their own pocket. For instance, if my local dealer is to be believed...they "ate" a portion of my warranty claim because I supposedly didn't meet all the necessary criteria to have my van fixed (consuming over 1qt oil every 750 miles was OK, per Chrysler.)

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
No they didn't show me the parts, I just know that it's making a howl and it increases with speed, it just started doing it a few days ago, I have used the four wheel drive more in the last 4 weeks, than I have in the last four years.
But haven't been doing anything like spinning the rear tires, what gets me is that they don't have the shocks in stock, are the front shocks different on the crd than the gas?
This is the only Jeep dealer for many miles and it didn't seem like it was having problems, I was one of a couple of dozen in line for service, and several new car pick ups while I was there.