Liberty differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty06

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the oil in the diffs? can I just pour some new oil in or should I pump out the old?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add to that linked topic..............

Do not let the RTV sit for 30-60mins before putting cover on.Leave it sit for 10mins max then bolt on,only tighten the bolts till the RTV starts squishing out the sides,let side another 5-10mins and then torque down.Let it sit that way for at least another 30mins before adding fluid.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
With other vehicles I had, I "usually" just kind of "wet-vac" the old stuff out with a 5/8" hose, and get all the gear oil I can extract (like a dentist suction hose, hee hee)... Then I just refill it... I (me personally) Never had any problems doing it that way.

I was just told, that doing it that way, you can't inspect or clean the parts and force out all the metal shavings. If you are going to take the diff cover off, you may as well inspect and clean it all with something like a break parts cleaner. Other than THAT, there would be no reason to remove the cover... If you are just replacing gear oil, and are not going to inspect anything, or clean it out, then why bother removing the cover? In that case, sucking it all out is fine...

I know, I do a lot of things that seem kind of archaic, but, I never have any problems. Maybe I am just lucky. who knows. I put way to much time into "Theory and Application." If I think that, Theoretically, that will work, then I do it... So far? ALL my vehicles have lasted. I have had NO drive-train failures... Again, Lucky? Maybe...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my cover off to make the drain easier and also to clean the differential housing out with brake fluid as suggested by jeepkj02 in his write-up and tjkj2002 in one of his replies.

It was pretty grimy in there. I will definitely be doing that each time it needs to be changed. It is well worth the extra time.

Last edited:

Liberty06

Reaction score
All good valid points...thank you. I am thinking I may go with the remove the whole din dam thing first time out so I can get any shavings from the break-in out ..the second time maybe just pump and fill.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All good valid points...thank you. I am thinking I may go with the remove the whole din dam thing first time out so I can get any shavings from the break-in out ..the second time maybe just pump and fill.

Sounds like a fine plan to me....:)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the oil in the diffs? can I just pour some new oil in or should I pump out the old?

Easy, just did mine for a diff inspection. Took the whole cover off. Takes almost no time. Get a gasket at NAPA before you do the job. Bolts torque down to 30lbs. Gasket is easy to seal with a little Silicone. Should take no more than an hour with taking the cover off.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change the diff fluid in my YJ all the time, but haven't done the Libby yet. It's still under warranty.

I recommend popping the diff covers too. It will give you a chance to examine for any metal particles in the bottom of the diff and the wear on the pinion gear. If the fluid is milky then you've got axle or pinion seal problems.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I changed my diffs, t-case, and trans fluid. I got the rear diff gasket at NAPA, along with the trans pan gasket (filter from dealer). I used no sealant on the rear diff or trans, just the gaskets, and cleaned all the old RTV off. So far, no leaks.

Last edited:

Liberty06

Reaction score
Easy, just did mine for a diff inspection. Took the whole cover off. Takes almost no time. Get a gasket at NAPA before you do the job. Bolts torque down to 30lbs. Gasket is easy to seal with a little Silicone. Should take no more than an hour with taking the cover off.
Awesome thanks....Do you really need to do it at every 30K on these Libs? My ****** Mechanic told me no...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance Service Schedule B calls for a front and rear drain and change every 12,000 miles if you use it for off road use, trailer towing, snow plowing or commercial use.

Maintenance Service Schedule A doesn't call for a drain and change that I can see on neither the front nor the back.

I am looking at a 2005 Owner's Manual.

I tow a trailer about three times a month or so, so I change them both every 30K with Mobil 1 75W-140. I don't think I use it enough to justify changing it every 12K.

However, after looking at the rear diff after the 30K mile change, I would definitely recommend doing it at least once every 30K miles.

Last edited:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a torque wrench or just ease it tight?
After applying it to the diff, I let it sit for however long the instructions said on the package. I then tightened the bolts by hand and then by wrench until the RTV started oozing out a little. I let it sit for however long the instructions said and then torqued them down. I tightened and torqued them down in a cross pattern.

I torqued them down with a torque wrench to 30 ft/lb.

This is the RTV I used...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a very good plan.

I just get them nice and snug by wrench but using a torque wrench is always a good idea.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance Service Schedule B calls for a front and rear drain and change every 12,000 miles if you use it for off road use, trailer towing, snow plowing or commercial use.

Maintenance Service Schedule A doesn't call for a drain and change that I can see on neither the front nor the back.

I am looking at a 2005 Owner's Manual.

I tow a trailer about three times a month or so, so I change them both every 30K with Mobil 1 75W-140. I don't think I use it enough to justify changing it every 12K.

However, after looking at the rear diff after the 30K mile change, I would definitely recommend doing it at least once every 30K miles.
Schedule B should be followed when you...............

Drive day or night in temps below 32degrees
Stop and go driving(city driving)
Extensive idling
Driving in dusty conditions

One of those above certianly applies to every vehicle here.

My schedule is alot sooner since I wheel mine and drive the piss out of it.Before I broke a CV shaft I was changing my diffs about every 10,000-12,000miles and it looked pretty bad.Heck I was changing my t-case fluid(with ATF+4) every 6000miles due to extensive use of the t-case and the fluid would be almost black at 6000miles.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schedule B should be followed when you...............

Drive day or night in temps below 32degrees
Stop and go driving(city driving)
Extensive idling
Driving in dusty conditions

One of those above certianly applies to every vehicle here.
I don't know about your's, but mine has a "asterisk" beside it and in the note it says to do it only if you "...(listed in my previous post)". That tells me that it is a break away from the normal Scheduled B Maintenance items and to only do it if those specific conditions apply.

I don't use mine nowhere near what you do, but I do use it some. I feel good about doing it every 30K miles where as you do need it every 12K.

I follow Schedule B by the book otherwise and feel that I am good on the differentials also.