LED's in and on the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope to have the blue LED's in the cab somewhere... and the red LED's on the back of the KJ...

suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just turn any vehicle into a show car rather than an offroad machine which you seem to have built with your mods. Inside like under the seats or like they pictured under the hood could be good placement for visibility purposes however personally I don't like any "blingy" lights outside or underbody liberty. Maybe all of those cars I've seen with these lighting were cheap knockoff show-cars that looked full of cheap $9 accessories.

Adding these lights to the dash or anywhere that's directly visible makes it look awful in dark.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you hit the head on the nail when it came to price... $9.99. i really just think i like lots and lots of lights. i want to put the red leds on the back of the kj somewhere, and i only bought the blues b/c that's all they had. they were regularly $24.99 and they were on clearance, but the guy told me i could bring them back if i decided i did not want them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
how are these wired up? It's hard to tell from that package.
Can you wire them up to your brake lamps or signals?

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sir. they just have a black ground, and a red positive. i would probably hook them up either to the running lights so they stay on with the running lights, or i would splice into the brake lights.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I care but I thought I'd point out that most states it is illegal to add red or blue lights to any road going vehicle,something about it can't look like a emergancy vehicle.Might want to check with your local laws first,just a suggestion though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about sticking them on the side or mirror, make it a turn signal, that would be nice. They would have to go to the signal fuse.

tjkj2002, you can add strip of LEDs to the back and use it as brake lights, many people have been doing it in NYC, have seen a lot, but it is a big city and cops don't catch everyone if it is really illegal.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they wouldn't go on the front of the kj. the red leds would go on the back of the kj, kinda like clearance lights, and the blue on the inside. if i could have bought the amber led's, i would have, but they were already sold.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin how did you change the instrument cluster and where did you get those lights for it?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
riptricket said:
hyedipin how did you change the instrument cluster and where did you get those lights for it?

stock \:D/

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, i have wanted to change them to cool blue, but have no idea how to!!!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a long time, but for some reason
I'm having a brain fart!
So, I will begin to say that you should listen to all the cool folks here regarding turning your KJ into a boy racer with those L.E.D.'s! :)

Now, I too bought some of the L.E.D.'s for interior placement!
I am going to install them with a micro normally open dip switch
(like the type of switch you find in the door jam which turns the interior dome light on when you open your door.) and mount the micro L.E.D.'s in the lid of
the center arm rest/CD storage bin.
That way at night, when the passenger is called upon to change the current
music selection, the driver doesn't have to try and drive with the interior dome light illuminated, yet the passenger has an ample night light to see by.

(Cheers)

Ryan

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red lights on the back wouldnt be a legal issue. However, cops REALLY don't like the blue on the exterior. I'm not sure if they care about the interior though. My stereo and Sirius puts off a blue glow, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue. And if you put them on the mirror, I believe they need to be yellow unless they are on the mirror and only visible from the back.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon is my "they are not blue" rep. :D

I wanted to change them to blue but was afraid I would break the needles on dash while removing it, unless there is a way to get behind them without that.
Otherwise they look fine as they are..

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good morning,

I found the really neat reading light with 8 LED bulbs and it operates on 3 AAA batteries (included) and a 9 inch metal flexible neck...For a dollar!
Yup 1 buck.
I am going to disassemble one (I bought 5 in case I F one up!) and try and some how cleverly install it in the center arm rest/CD storage bin and install some lithium AAA batteries so I'll never have to replace those ever again.
I have been designing it for the last 3 days and figure installing a micro dip switch which when depressed will open the circuit and leave the light turned off. When you open the center console the switch will close it circuit and the light will turn on. I will also do a stealth install on a micro photo sensitive eye/switch so that the light only comes on in the dark. Cool thing is, electronics, wiring and lights are an obsesive love and hobby since three and a half years old and I have all the parts to do this.

Ry'

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan, I used to be like that too, I had that switch board physics kit, or whatever it was called. It was my favorite thing, I used to push away toys and play with that for hours.. transistor, resistors, switches, buttons...

Anyway, You mentioned the photosensitive switch, why? If that's for the storage case, it will be dark when you close it..

I like the idea of lights there, though.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already installed one in the glove box, but I used the 300C/Magnum/Charger glove box light as I knew the part number, knew what it looked like and how it worked. Part number is 04565022 and its like 6 bucks. Plus the Charger/Magnum in all trim levels, even SRT8, and regular 300 (non-HEMI) don't come with it, WTF?! even though the wiring is there and there is an indentation in the shape of it as a template to cut out the hole for it, so I had bought one and installed it already.

Next up I am going to use the old Cherokee under hood light twice over, to put a light under the hood, and to put a light in the center console. This is the same light used in older Dodge Dakotas and the Charger Police Package as well Part number 56021441 for 12 bucks. It has a mercury switch in it that completes the circuit when it is tilted, as in the hood or console cover being lifted. Already added it to the Charger, and since it comes as part of the police package, there is even an indentation in the silencer pad, and hole in the hood ribbing for it to be installed. I can easily adapt it for the Liberty as well. Just haven't gotten around to it. Did I just give away ideas for mods before I did them myself? OOPS.