LCA Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattw

Reaction score
I've seen some threads on here where people say that in order to replace the bushings in the LCA you should just buy the whole LCA. Why? Entire LCA is $180. I can get Moog bushings (all 3 for the LCA) for $40. What am I missing here?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE bushing will outlast any offered aftermarket version for the KJ by a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio.

Why just buy a new OEM LCA? Go and try to replace those bushings,you will see why.

Oh and skip any aftermarket LCA,not worth it unless you want to do it all over again in a year or 2.

mattw

Reaction score
Honestly I'm looking to get 2 years out of this Liberty. The Moog bushing should give me 2 years, shouldn't they?

If I do the bushing myself, I save $280 bucks...I'm going to be doing shocks, struts, coils, LCA ball joints, and UCAs too ...$280 bucks will help.

Can you be more specific on the troubles removing/installing the bushings? Is it really that much trouble that it is worth $280 ??

mattw

Reaction score
Bushing or bearing driver won't cut it? The service manual just shows using a threaded forcing screw assembly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushing or bearing driver won't cut it? The service manual just shows using a threaded forcing screw assembly.
I bought the actual OEM tools for those bushings,broke in 30 seconds and didn't even begin to budge the bushings.

Went out and bought brand new OEM LCA's and saved myself a lot of headache and possible LCA damage trying to replace those bushings.

Oh and the only quality LCA's are the OEM versions(dealership) and there $350 each at internet whole sale prices.

mattw

Reaction score
I need 2 years ....this is 2wd ...no offroad...just need a decent ride...will the Moog LCAs for $180 each get me that?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you guys seem to like JBA stuff ...what about the LCAs they sell?

Lower front left control arm | J.B.A.

Those are the aftermarket LCA's tjkj2002 was talking about. I appreciate that JBA offers them at a good price but I'm very wary about installing them.

FWIW, I wanted to install new clevis bushings on the LCA and was advised not to try it. But I'm stubborn and bulled ahead anyway. I got one of them done but it took me SIX HOURS and a garage filled with cuss words to finish one side. The other side still has the original clevis bushing.

I had dreams of doing the LCA bushings too - but after that experience I shelved the idea pretty quickly.

If you're only keeping the Jeep for two years don't worry about the LCA bushings. Unless an alignment shop says they're totally shot then put money into something that will gain you more resale value. LCA bushings won't do diddly when you're haggling with someone over price.

"But dude, I replaced the LCA bushings, so yea - it's worth an extra 500..." ;)

Bob

mattw

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Bob...good info.

I'm not looking to get more resale value...I'm looking to stop the noises I hear while I drive around :). It's annoying the crap out of me and I can't stand it anymore.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I did mine... Jaw puller and air gun...the hardest part was finding something to fit on the inner end that would take the force and push it out evenly... It was a pain but fun in the end when I was shooting bushings like 25 feet away lol... The contraption looked like a terminator gun :)
http://youtu.be/DRSpsCetI1k

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the clevis bushings I used a piece of threaded rod with plumbing caps and nuts I drilled a hole In the center of the cap and pushed/pulled it out... Just go on YouTube and you'll get the idea... Search for home made ball joint tool.

Avg Joe

Reaction score
Just find a machine shop. But they will charge 20 bucks per bushing. pep boys wanted 20 to push it out and 20 to push a new one in. I just had to do all the rear ca bushings-that's 6 and a ball joint lol. Bought a 12 ton shop press from harbor freight for 129, and now I'll have it for the front lowers in a week when I do those.
If you are already doing all the rest that you said, then why not just change them as well? That's how I do it, as long as time allows for it.

mattw

Reaction score
Just found a shop that will remove old and push in new for $20 a piece. Thanks for all the advice guys. Will be doing this job when I get back from vacation.

Avg Joe..yeah I will replace the rear bushings too while I am at it...

Latest posts

Members online