LBJ Replaced - WOW what a difference!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waggles2004

Reaction score
I had my LBJ recall service performed today. The front end had felt "sloppy" and vibrated over the past 6 months, but I passed it off as worn out new tires and bad alignment. I had the tires replaced last month, and the front aligned, but the nose still felt loose.

Then I heard of the LBJ Recall and had a "wait and see" attitude. Well, after picking up my '02 Limited today, the front end feels as tight as the day I bought in new back in December 2001. I can't believe the difference. No vibrations, whatsoever; tight and smooth. My service advisor said the driver's side LBJ was bad/damaged, and he was surprised it had not already given way, and the passenger side LBJ showed signs of corrosion. I live in Georgia, have never driven off road (it's a 4x2), through mud puddles, etc. AND I had the first Ball Joint Recall performed, way back when.

If you haven't had the LBJs replaced yet, I highly recommend it, and even push for it if you haven't received your notice.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It made a world of difference for mine as well. Rode better and the steering was much more responsive. At first, the brakes weren't completely right, since I'm sure they were adjusted to get to the LBJs, but that seems to have settled. By the way, I saw that was your second post. Welcome!

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my LBJ's replaced and i can feel the difference

oh and i had no comment on the lift and 31's apart from a new sales guy at the dealer looking over my KJ because i parked it next to a stock one \:D/

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped in to my local dealer yesterday to try to set up an appointment to have mine replaced. They told me they didn't have the parts in stock, check back in a few weeks. ](*,)

lbrty13

Reaction score
Was the vibration during braking only? I've been trying to figure out where this vibration is coming from.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone else complained about vibration when braking.

Oh, I did not feel a major difference in handling, I guess mine weren't damaged as much, but they replaced them both.

waggles2004

Reaction score
My vibration was mainly above 45 mph, which is why I thought it was the tires. I did feel "feedback" from the brakes once my KJ was at a complete stop, almost like the suspension was still moving forward.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
waggles2004 said:
I did feel "feedback" from the brakes once my KJ was at a complete stop, almost like the suspension was still moving forward.

I still have that. And my uncle's 06 has that too. When I brake suddenly at slow speed it sort of sways forward tiny bit then backwards then into place, it is like something slips tiny little bit somewhere in suspension or in brake pads. Tiny click.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
waggles2004 said:
I did feel "feedback" from the brakes once my KJ was at a complete stop, almost like the suspension was still moving forward.

I still have that. And my uncle's 06 has that too. When I brake suddenly at slow speed it sort of sways forward tiny bit then backwards then into place, it is like something slips tiny little bit somewhere in suspension or in brake pads. Tiny click.

if you are braking suddenly like that, are you sure its not just the weight of the liberty shifting forward causing this?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might as well be, but there is a difference, how it feels is that as soon as I come to a complete stop without any slippage, wheels stop and probably weight of the liberty pushes forward, and there is a tiny little bit of gap somwehere that moves chasses and "hits" against something, then back into place. Sometimes I feel like wheels will remain there, and body will drop one inch forward...like clicker.