KK gas tank skid plate rot: A solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
JustForJeeps lists the same part numbers for the KK and KJ for the engine skid and transmission skid. The transfer case skids are different part numbers as are the gas tank skids of course.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes like I said I was sure or pretty sure the engine was the same and transmission worked but we had to drill a hole somewhere it seems
But then it may have been a transmission skid for a 02 or ?? Different crossmember on early and later models

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow! That’s actually it!

I should be good with the regular gas tank hanger and the aluminum ASFIR skid I ordered. If I hadn’t already done that, I would definitely be on top of this. The price ($350) is comparable to ASFIR.

Hopefully someone else who needs a KK gas tank skid plate will see your post and snag it. Thanks for following up!

;)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Holy cow! That’s actually it!

I should be good with the regular gas tank hanger and the aluminum ASFIR skid I ordered. If I hadn’t already done that, I would definitely be on top of this. The price ($350) is comparable to ASFIR.

Hopefully someone else who needs a KK gas tank skid plate will see your post and snag it. Thanks for following up!

;)
Must be my lucky day. I just found a used KJ fuel tank plate for a crazy low price and it is actually in really good shape, just needs paint.
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my ASFIR skid delivered a week ago but didn’t have time to unbox it until now. I thought people would be interested in the pics. By the way, this thing is heavy duty at 1/4” thick aluminum, definitely tough. The bands that mount it under the stock gas tank hanger are 1/4” steel.

Well packaged. Arrived undamaged.

The skid itself, still in shrink wrap.

Fits the gas tank hanger nicely.

Mounting hardware (next to some other stuff, LOL).

Comes with good directions.

Now I need to get that new Mopar gas tank hanger cleaned up and painted before I can install it and the new skid. I need some decent weather for that. Counting on you guys from out west (lookin at you, LabRat) to send us some warmer temperatures!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any discount code for Asfir?
No active discount codes that I know of. The code gear7 took 7% off but expired on Jan 1. But I just checked their website and the sale prices and 50% off international shipping that I got before Christmas are still in effect.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I got my ASFIR skid delivered a week ago but didn’t have time to unbox it until now. I thought people would be interested in the pics. By the way, this thing is heavy duty at 1/4” thick aluminum, definitely tough. The bands that mount it under the stock gas tank hanger are 1/4” steel.

Well packaged. Arrived undamaged.

The skid itself, still in shrink wrap.

Fits the gas tank hanger nicely.

Mounting hardware (next to some other stuff, LOL).

Comes with good directions.

Now I need to get that new Mopar gas tank hanger cleaned up and painted before I can install it and the new skid. I need some decent weather for that. Counting on you guys from out west (lookin at you, LabRat) to send us some warmer temperatures!
I predict it will actually get colder, then I sending 50s your way early next week. I’m jealous of the new plate. Mine has been delayed by the weather.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any discount code for Asfir?
It is really really rare that you will ever find a discount code for any Liberty part
They are such a low volume seller in the world of aftermarket parts that usually have to pay full price
Best thing I have found on a few parts over the years are scratch and dent sale on skids

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I began the process of dropping the tank to swap the fuel pump and replace the 2012 vintage Mopar gas tank skid with a Mopar regular gas tank hanger. The ASFIR skid will go on on top of that.

It’s out!

Looking pretty rough.

Rust!

I can break pieces off with my bare hands.

Fuel pump installed. The old one had 210,000 miles on it. This one only has 80,000, but it’s Mopar. The gasket and lock ring are new.

Tomorrow the tank gets reinstalled and hopefully she runs and drives!

Then the ASFIR skid gets installed.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the gas tank back into position and installed the beefy ASFIR skid this morning.

Did not paint, at least not yet. Here are some more photos of the skid in place, and how it is held up.

The straps are 1/4” galvanized steel.

Side view.

The gas tank skid lines up nicely with the transfer case skid in front, so is unlikely to snag on objects.

The challenge now is that there was so little gas left in the tank the Jeep doesn’t start. I can hear the fuel pump trying to prime. Luckily also no gas leaks or smells (so far). I have to run downtown to buy some gas and bring it back! I will update you when I do.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 5 gallons of gas downtown in a red jug and brought it back to fuel up the Jeep. I primed it a few times with the key on “run” before starting it. She fired right up! The new old fuel pump is alive! :D I took it for a test run, getting the Jeep up to 55 mph and testing the acceleration power. The fuel pump is fine under those demanding conditions. I also checked for leaks from the fuel lines when I got back, and there were none. The check engine light is off so far (hope there are no evap leaks). I would say it was a successful transplant.