KJ vs Deer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming home from work tonight, I was about 3 blocks from home, and 3 or 4 deer jumped out in front of me on the highway. I was doing about 50 when I seen his eyes right in front of the windshield. Considering how hard as I hit him, the Lib came our rather well, as I was able to drive away. If anything, I learned to keep the driving lights on from now on, as that might have helped. I'm now convinced that the Liberties are a lot tougher than they get credit for.

You must be registered for see images

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its starting to seem like "Final Destination" for Jeep Liberties lately.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I hit it, I stood in the road with a flashlight to warn people, but some kid in an Accord hit the carcass again at full speed. He hit it so hard both back wheels left the ground. And the guy never stopped. He had to mess his car up pretty good.

2003KJ

Reaction score
ouch!

Glad youre ok.....KJ's seem to be a magnet for deer for some reason....

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel lucky, really. It could have been much worse (for me at least, maybe not for the deer...)

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, it was kind of strange. Some dude dressed in camo in a big 4x4 p/u drove up and asked if he could have it. I told him sure, I was done with it....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC said:
Actually, it was kind of strange. Some dude dressed in camo in a big 4x4 p/u drove up and asked if he could have it. I told him sure, I was done with it....

Haha, you were done with it.. \:D/

Looks like it did good. You shouldnt need any body work should you? Just a new signal and fender? O:)

BLS WA Chapter SDMF, what happened? How did you see two at one time? Did two get into the same wreck or something? :-s

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
BLS WA Chapter SDMF, what happened? How did you see two at one time? Did two get into the same wreck or something? :-s

I think they were from two separate accidents... :-$

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club (sad to say). My wife hit a hear before our KJ was a year old. It was dark, she was doing about 55 mph on a two-lane country road and looking at the stereo. She said that she didn't enen hit the breaks. (biggrin)

There was fur in the cracks. The KJ took it very well. About $1500 in damage (insurance picked it all up).

Good luck with the repair!

After deer:

After repair:

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a little bit worse than the picture shows. The hood has a huge dent from his head, and the fender is pushed back and creased. Everything on the left side is pushed back an inch or so, so I think the core support is bent. But all in all, I think it did better than a lot of vehicles would have. Had that been my wifes Saturn, it would have been uuuuuuuuugly.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out why the fender and bumper is the only thing getting hit? Usually they take out the hood and grill? why are they hitting so low on your alls jeeps? I guess a deer would hit my bumper even more since i have a lift.. O:)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC said:

Same thing happened to me once, but it was a large boar, and thankfully in a rental paid for by my company.
Guy came up asked if I was going to keep it. Told him if he towed me back to town he could have it.
Fair exchange in my eyes.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the way the bumper rolls down, it pushes the deer down toward the pavement, whereas most passenger cars are lower and have a more slanted hood, which sends the deer into the windshield. Mine did break my grill though, and dent the hood. And actually a bolt came through the hood where his head dented it in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC said:
I'm guessing that the way the bumper rolls down, it pushes the deer down toward the pavement, whereas most passenger cars are lower and have a more slanted hood, which sends the deer into the windshield. Mine did break my grill though, and dent the hood. And actually a bolt can through the hood where his head dented it in.

ohh bless.. Thats brutal... :-s Guess he took some trauma to the head..

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually felt bad I killed the darned thing. At least it didn't suffer though.

I also come to find out that this area is a known deer crossing and there are near misses daily. I went to our city council and proposed this solution . They agreed that it was a good idea and they are looking into funding.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Man....some of those things definitely woulda prevented my run in with one a while back.....

Latest posts

Members online