Kj sport, renegade or limited?? 2.4 or 3.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ,tires.. What do you recommend for better grip? What brand, dimension etc?

If I get bigger tires, do I also have to get bigger rims too? And will I lose climbing power or acceleration?

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ,tires.. What do you recommend for better grip? What brand, dimension etc?

If I get bigger tires, do I also have to get bigger rims too? And will I lose climbing power or acceleration?

Hi,

Bigger tyres will lose you a little acceleration etc. There is a limit on stock KJs as to how big you can go without some modification. I stick to stock size but many here go a size bigger or so. I would go Pirelli Scorpion AT or Cooper ATs for my use - your choice may vary depending on where you drive etc -. Tell us how and what you use your truck for and thee will be plenty of advice!!

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll use the Renny mostly on road. Guess I will only have time twice a month to go off road.
I unfortunately have the habit of driving fast, esp. when going to work using the highway around the city. I can't stop it. And I want to feel safe when taking curves and sometimes making sharp turns. (as safe as I can be for a KJ).

So better grip when taking curves is crucial for me. And I also would like to have larger tires actually, for a better stance, I must confess:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, sorry for the skid plate issue, I was sure I got it wrong lol :eek:

Today it happened once again, I turned out to the street and backside slipped from side to side. If this is caused by the LSD, it is dangerous really. I get close to losing control. Don't even want to think what would happen if it happened at a higher speed..

For tires, 245/70/16 is the biggest for stock. Not sure what tires you can get on your side of the pond, but the BFG AT, Good Year Wrangler Dura Trac, General Grabber AT's and Firestone Destination AT's are good tires for a DD that goes off road sometimes.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across this chart while searching. Minor rubbing is reported for the 245/70R16(But I guess it's not that important):

28.7" 8.7" 215/75R16* No Rubbing w/o Lift
29" 9.3" 235/65R17* No Rubbing w/o Lift
29.3" 8.9" 225/75R16* No Rubbing w/o Lift
29" 9.3" 235/70R16* No Rubbing w/o Lift
30.3" 8.8" 225/75R17 Minor Rubbing w/o Lift
29.5" 9.7" 245/70R16 Minor Rubbing w/o Lift
29.9" 9.3" 235/75R16 Minor Rubbing w/o Lift

Still not sure if it's the tires though..The tires on my kj are Michelin (for snow) 235/70/16. I checked them now and they look ok, tyre design is not worn out:confused:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the Michelins that are on your KJ? LTX M/S? Cross-Terrain?

Anyway, if you looking to switch tires, check out the Firestone Destination A/T(biggthumpup)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The X-ices are the winter tires, the Latitude Tours are all seasons.
What you got against the Destination A/Ts? #1 rated A/T...period!
Hope you ain't gonna recommend Wranglers? LOL!!yupnope.gif

Go spend some money on a set of Silent Armors or Michelin LTX AT2s if you think your Firestones are that good. Enjoy your vibration issues and belt separations later on down the road. Cooper is the only company that makes a good budget tire.
Pirelli Synchrone AT. Were great on my Discoverys and with the Jeep being a little lighter they will be better!!

My 10c

Michelin makes the Synchrone, which were OEM equipment on Discovery SIs and IIs. You're probably thinking of the Pirelli Scorpion ATs.
I work for Firestone,all there tires are crap(along with Bridgestone).

MT/R's all the wayperfect10.gif

x10

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires are 2 yrs old but even so, these are winter tires with quite deep threads and vacuum design. I've been driving for 15 years and none of my cars slipped so much with new or old winter tires on. :confused:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happened about 5-6 times until now, on both wet and dry surfaces.

BTW, do you think this may have something to do with back wheels alignment and balancing?

Latest posts

Members online