KJ owner gets the "Jeep wave"!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I cant wait to remove myself from the Liberty crowd, less than 48hrs and Im out of here. One jeep after that to go and Im out of the Jeep crowd all togather, cant wait until that day comes. I wont be getting any Jeep waves in my ford thats for sure

So GTFO already if you're going to be like that.

Boiler

Reaction score
Personally I think the Liberty "Crowd" (being enthusiasts, not grandmas who make up 90% of the liberty ownership) is pretty awesome. A bunch of people that love their jeeps, working on them, making them better and more unique, enjoying the outdoors in them. Yeah, I can see how horrible that seems....:rolleyes:

I understand you've had more than your share of problems, and hence can understand why you'd want to run from jeeps. But the jeep crowd? What did we do?

L

lil black liberty

Personally I think the Liberty "Crowd" (being enthusiasts, not grandmas who make up 90% of the liberty ownership) is pretty awesome. A bunch of people that love their jeeps, working on them, making them better and more unique, enjoying the outdoors in them. Yeah, I can see how horrible that seems....:rolleyes:

I understand you've had more than your share of problems, and hence can understand why you'd want to run from jeeps. But the jeep crowd? What did we do?

Can I say X2? :p:cool:

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I come form a 99 Pontiac Grand Am and its the less reliable car i seen so far.... So in my mind i wasnt changing for better except for the utility option the KJ was gonna give me ... Well, i think i changed for a lot more reliable EVEN if its still not the most reliable out there. I see what you mean man, they dont dont BUILD vehicules the way they did back in the 70's and 80's ... You cant find one as tough as back then as no maker build anything close to it anymore .... Not EVEN ANY IMPORTS ... So i dont doubt your dodge 84 is the best loll ... Having all those vehicules seems to me to be pretty pretty useless ... Why you have so many from the start man ? Get rid of those that dont fit what you do and ride only 1 or 2 at max ... Youll save all your oil changes on plates and insurance from other ones you got rid of ... Sorry if you hate your Jeeps, but Ford is coming up pretty neat on reliability nowadays, well at least, i know they have made a statement that their new cars are now more reliable and they never been that bad so ... Just do your own economy a favor and stick with American made vehicules !! :p

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You guys have done nothing, ive met a few good Lib enthusiast along the way but I am obviously not a Jeep enthusiast, and more so I am definately not a Liberty enthusiast. I will never again buy a post cherokee (2002+) jeep for anything, and itll be tough to get me to to buy any jeep post AMC, I have had absolutely no luck with chrysler built jeeps.

being a "jeeper" is almost a religion, I would be like the anti christ if I tried to hang in a jeepers world. I would do no good by staying in the crowd.

Tigerclaws: I do differant things with differant vehicles. My Ford is my 4wheeling rig, it sits in the garage unless its heading to the woods. The dodge rampage is my daily driver, it was a $400 purchase that has not needed any repairs. The cherokee my wife has had since she was 16 when it started getting worn down and having issues we bought the Liberty, I was planning to keep the cherokee to make a rough truck racer out off. I got the lib in december of 07. by april of 07 it was a known fact that it wasnt going to be as reliable as I had hoped so I left the cherokee sitting here so she could drive it when the Liberty was down. Ive never sold it becuase the Liberty is down atleast once every 2 or 3 months. Ive spent a couple hundred on the cherokee to keep it going and It cost me $60 a year to have the cherokee tagged, each vehicle I have insured knocks money off the Liberty insurance for multiline, the cherokee gives me more of a discount on the lib than I pay a month insurance on the cherokee so in reality it cost nothing for the cherokee to be insured with state minimum coverage. Lately the Liberty has been sitting in the garage beside my BII becuase the Cherokee gets 18mpg and is more reliable, the Lib gets 15. My trail rig Bronco II gets 16, and my dodge gets 30.
The liberty cost us the monthly payment, gets the worst fuel economy, and cost us the most in repairs on an average month. I got the Liberty thinking it would be cheaper than spending $500 a month on unreliable beaters, but my last unreliable beater ( the rampage) ahs been the best vehicle I have owned in forms of reliability.

I realize things are not built liek they used to be and thus that is why I will not purchase the newer stuff until the governent forces me too or the odl stuff finally rust away and cant be found.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You guys have done nothing, ive met a few good Lib enthusiast along the way but I am obviously not a Jeep enthusiast, and more so I am definately not a Liberty enthusiast. I will never again buy a post cherokee (2002+) jeep for anything, and itll be tough to get me to to buy any jeep post AMC, I have had absolutely no luck with chrysler built jeeps.

being a "jeeper" is almost a religion, I would be like the anti christ if I tried to hang in a jeepers world. I would do no good by staying in the crowd.

Tigerclaws: I do differant things with differant vehicles. My Ford is my 4wheeling rig, it sits in the garage unless its heading to the woods. The dodge rampage is my daily driver, it was a $400 purchase that has not needed any repairs. The cherokee my wife has had since she was 16 when it started getting worn down and having issues we bought the Liberty, I was planning to keep the cherokee to make a rough truck racer out off. I got the lib in december of 07. by april of 07 it was a known fact that it wasnt going to be as reliable as I had hoped so I left the cherokee sitting here so she could drive it when the Liberty was down. Ive never sold it becuase the Liberty is down atleast once every 2 or 3 months. Ive spent a couple hundred on the cherokee to keep it going and It cost me $60 a year to have the cherokee tagged, each vehicle I have insured knocks money off the Liberty insurance for multiline, the cherokee gives me more of a discount on the lib than I pay a month insurance on the cherokee so in reality it cost nothing for the cherokee to be insured with state minimum coverage. Lately the Liberty has been sitting in the garage beside my BII becuase the Cherokee gets 18mpg and is more reliable, the Lib gets 15. My trail rig Bronco II gets 16, and my dodge gets 30.
The liberty cost us the monthly payment, gets the worst fuel economy, and cost us the most in repairs on an average month. I got the Liberty thinking it would be cheaper than spending $500 a month on unreliable beaters, but my last unreliable beater ( the rampage) ahs been the best vehicle I have owned in forms of reliability.

I realize things are not built liek they used to be and thus that is why I will not purchase the newer stuff until the governent forces me too or the odl stuff finally rust away and cant be found.

Strange. ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ is a better vehicle than all the old stuff he's had.
If your KJ gets 15 mpg anywhere but the city, you're having serious issues.
Unless, as ThunderbirdJunkie expects, your odometer is off because of those 265s and you haven't had it corrected, since you're actually traveling further than your odometer tells you.
It's a moot point, though, and if you really don't want to be a part of it, then seriously just go away. You've already said you're not into the Jeep "cult", so why stay? Why bother continue posting? Why bother asking if somebody has a free part for you to deliver?

To say the KJ is not built "like they used to" is ludicrous. You're right, it's not. It's a vehicle that's 100 times better than the CJ, XJ, etc. ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't need to replace points and condensors every 15k miles, or make sure to tighten up all the fasteners on the body to avoid squeaks and rattles, he doesn't need to adjust float level or change jet sizes, or replace balljoints every 60k miles despite being greasable...old vehicles are pieces of shit, period.

A Ramcharger? Seriously? You do realize that the Ramcharger shared a platform with many of Chrysler's other rolling punchlines, right? Who cares if it gets 30 mpg. Enjoy your timing belts.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ is a better vehicle than all the old stuff he's had.
If your KJ gets 15 mpg anywhere but the city, you're having serious issues.
Unless, as ThunderbirdJunkie expects, your odometer is off because of those 265s and you haven't had it corrected, since you're actually traveling further than your odometer tells you.
It's a moot point, though, and if you really don't want to be a part of it, then seriously just go away. You've already said you're not into the Jeep "cult", so why stay? Why bother continue posting? Why bother asking if somebody has a free part for you to deliver?

To say the KJ is not built "like they used to" is ludicrous. You're right, it's not. It's a vehicle that's 100 times better than the CJ, XJ, etc. ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't need to replace points and condensors every 15k miles, or make sure to tighten up all the fasteners on the body to avoid squeaks and rattles, he doesn't need to adjust float level or change jet sizes, or replace balljoints every 60k miles despite being greasable...old vehicles are pieces of shit, period.

A Ramcharger? Seriously? You do realize that the Ramcharger shared a platform with many of Chrysler's other rolling punchlines, right? Who cares if it gets 30 mpg. Enjoy your timing belts.

It hasnt been driven enough to know what its getting on the 265's.

On the 245's the speedo was dead on by police radar and mathmatical calculations. I got 15mpg. Before the lift I was getting 18 and never any better, regardless of if I or my wife drive it. I pushed it to 350 mi per tank one time before it ran out of fuel.. fuel lights on around 320 and takes almost a full 20gallon to fill up whent he light comes on. You can do the math.

weve put just as many miles on the cherokee as we have the Liberty since we bought the Liberty, plus allt he miles before that. The cherokee was "on its last leg" when we got the Liberty but has failed us less. The cherokee has been towed home 3 times, and repaired temporaritly enough to drive it home on several occasions. The cherokee has never been towed home and has been along the rd repaired once in 6 years, and on the trail once when I broke a previously worn out axle joint. I have never replaced a ball joint in it at 167000 miles (yes they are originals), My wifes parents where the original owners so I know what has and has not been done to my jeep. We took it over at near 100,000 miles and until then it got oil changes and brake shoes/pads slapped on it, nothing else. I had to do an alt as I submerged it in water and it was still the original one at 150,000 and ive done a blower motor, and just ordered a set of frotn hub bearings for the first time. 167000 on the ORIGINAL bearings, I repalced the originals at 50K or so in the Lib, and im on the 2nd set of aftermarkets. The Liberty in no way compares to the cherokee as far as reliabilty, and the cherokee as previously said has been less reliable than the rampage.

Can you please explain to me what this third person speak is? Or is that part of the Jeep thing I dont understand?

edit: dare I meantion the no start problem it ahs ALWAYS had at running temp?

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, meant Rampage, not Ramcharger.

Just because the SPEEDO is accurate does not mean the ODOMETER is accurate. Did ThunderbirdJunkie mention speedometer? No. Because NO speedometer is accurate from the factory, unless it's a gov't car.
The 245s are a big enough jump to affect gas mileage significantly, and make for an inaccurate calculation.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, meant Rampage, not Ramcharger.

Just because the SPEEDO is accurate does not mean the ODOMETER is accurate. Did ThunderbirdJunkie mention speedometer? No. Because NO speedometer is accurate from the factory, unless it's a gov't car.
The 245s are a big enough jump to affect gas mileage significantly, and make for an inaccurate calculation.[/QUOTE

thats funny, driving 60mph for 60 seconds down the rd with the 245's and the odometer would clock a mile... sounds pretty accurate to me. regardless of what thunderbirdjunkie may think, I take care of this and do my best to ensure everything is spot on.

Unless I dint know how to work a stop watch.

The rampage does share many platforms as other Chrysler vehicles. Omni, charger, duster, turismo on and on and on.

one timing belt every 100k that cost $20 to replace and a couple hours time... I have 104,000 miles on the rampage and to my knowledge its the original belt, The glove box receipts from day one ( I'm the 4th owner and from what I can tell everyone kept track of their receipts) dont show one ever being done.

TBJ if we wish to continue this, we can do so in pm or over on your site, or mine if you wish so we dont litter up the forums here.

Last edited: