KJ - Is the Truth Out There?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reiver

Reaction score
I'm a 4x4 virgin with a desire to go greenlaning (in the UK) with maybe a little pay & play if I can find a site near me.

I did have my heart set on a 2003/2004 WJ Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD (preferably an Overland for the QuadraDrive). Sadly, there are very few for sale in the UK at the moment.

However, my £3-3.5k budget will get me a wider choice of KJ 2.8 CRD (Limited auto) & even the bottom end of WK GC's. I suspect a cheap WK will turn out to be an expensive choice so the KJ looks to be the better alternative.

I'm after a pre-2006 (for UK road tax reasons) Limited (for Select-Trac).

How does the KJ stack up to the WJ? I know the ******** Jeepers look down their noses at the KJ because it's IFS is harder to lift but since I won't be modifying much beyond a set of AT or MT tyres I don't think this will matter too much.

I assume the KJ's smaller size will make it more agile in the nadgery stuff. I've heard ground clearance can be an issue for the KJ.

Disappointingly, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a KJ & WJ fuel economy-wise.

Is the 2.8 4 pot as good as the Merc 2.7 5 cylinder?

Is the KJ still the Black Sheep of the Jeep family? I'm hoping to get a more positive view on this forum

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a 4x4 virgin with a desire to go greenlaning (in the UK) with maybe a little pay & play if I can find a site near me.

I did have my heart set on a 2003/2004 WJ Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD (preferably an Overland for the QuadraDrive). Sadly, there are very few for sale in the UK at the moment.

However, my £3-3.5k budget will get me a wider choice of KJ 2.8 CRD (Limited auto) & even the bottom end of WK GC's. I suspect a cheap WK will turn out to be an expensive choice so the KJ looks to be the better alternative.

I'm after a pre-2006 (for UK road tax reasons) Limited (for Select-Trac).

How does the KJ stack up to the WJ? I know the ******** Jeepers look down their noses at the KJ because it's IFS is harder to lift but since I won't be modifying much beyond a set of AT or MT tyres I don't think this will matter too much.

I assume the KJ's smaller size will make it more agile in the nadgery stuff. I've heard ground clearance can be an issue for the KJ.

Disappointingly, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a KJ & WJ fuel economy-wise.

Is the 2.8 4 pot as good as the Merc 2.7 5 cylinder?

Is the KJ still the Black Sheep of the Jeep family? I'm hoping to get a more positive view on this forum

KJ CRD is for sure
LOSTJEEPS has a great section just for the CRDs , there are a lot of knoledgeable folks who hang out there for sure .

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2.5 CRD KJ might treat you better than the 2.8 CRD.

Why would a 2.5 CRD be better?

Do not get me wrong...I love my 2002 Export CRD like crazy and have had it from new.

I also believe that the early KJs were manufactured with more care than the later KJS and have less complicated electronics, turbo and glowplugs that can go wrong compared to the newer models.

But the Export 2.5 CRDs were stopped in about 2003 when the 2.8 was introduced with the automatic gearbox so you are talking about a much older vehicle here. Also my 2002 Export CRD manual Sport came out with Trac Loc fitted at the rear which is a bit of a pain to maintain with the addition of the Friction Reducer Additive and only Command Trac Part Time 4X4 fitted and has drum brakes at the rear!

A newer Export CRD say the 2005 model should still have the Euro Torque convertor which is good so an auto model would be more drivable and will have more power and torque than the 2.5 with its fixed-vane turbo.

If the OP wants a manual box then I believe the Export CRDs came out with a six-speed box.

The 2005 KJ comes out with a new-look front bumper and turn signals...I actually prefer the older grill look, ABS is standard on the 2005 models as I am sure Cruise Control would be.

My advise to the OP would be to look for a 2005 CRD in good condition with a known record of all maintenance done...mainly as regards the replacement of the camshaft timing belt and all oil replacements done at the correct time and with 5 volt glowplugs fitted with the 7 volt tune installed....visit Lostjeeps for more info.

Also the Aussie group www.ausjeepoffroad.com have a lot of owners of these RHD Export CRDs...visit the KJ section and other Jeep models.

I have heard good reports on the 2.7 Merc Diesel with care having to be applied with engine oil replacements....a special procedure is needed...not simply a case of drain and re-fill!

Visit LOST JEEPS • Index page

for more info on the KJs and other Jeep models.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry.. I can't contribute to this except to say that I don't think the KJ is the black sheep of Jeep anymore. We poke a lot more fun at the Compass or Patriot than the KJ now..lol.

Also, I did not understand some of the UK slang in your post. I have to go back to 1650 in my lineage for an actual "born in England" ancestor. (I'm looking at you, David Horton 1650-1737).

Also, ground clearance on a KJ is very good, 8+ inches (20+cm) when the suspension is in good condition and not tired, old and sagging from wear. Budget about $1,000 USD for a proper 2.5" lift and you'll be even better off.

Tires and good driving skill for offroading makes just as much of a difference, however.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My 05 doesn't have ABS...

I used to have a WJ, never wheeled it, but if you don't need the extra space, I like the KJ better. It's a little tighter handling and more fun to drive - especially with the lift. But WJs are cool too. Either is better than a WK - which I also had. The WK felt really ponderous and low to the ground, like I actually think my KL Cherokee would do better off road.