Kj almost went up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A/C started acting funny yesterday..blowing hot and cold air and it was making a low grinding noise like it was metal rubbing. I opened the hood and it was the clutch making the noise....ok I will change out the entire A/C Fri or Sat. Drove the Jeep to work this morning no problem...get off and turn the key and it barley starts....it finally starts up and makes a whining noise and it gets louder. I pull over in the parking lot and smoke is everywhere...open the hood and the clutch had froze up and burnt the belt....small flames in the engine and on the brand new radiator...luckily I had some water in the truck and put it out. It even burnt the plastic pully on the passenger side below the A/C...

well look like I will have a weekend to change the A/C out:)

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...good thing is I will be able to start on it this weekend. I am going to detail the engine while I am at also..cant have a shiney new Compressor and dirty engine.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah...good thing is I will be able to start on it this weekend. I am going to detail the engine while I am at also..cant have a shiney new Compressor and dirty engine.

That's the spirit!!!

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that was a big probelm with the 02 and 03 kjs. so big of a probelm that chrysler did a recall on it.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean a recall on the A/C clutch? I haven't heard of that one.

yea for the 02s and for the 03s they had a recall on the max a/c switch because that caused a short which also made the jeep catch fire. those are old recalls so they probably wont fix it for free anymore

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea for the 02s and for the 03s they had a recall on the max a/c switch because that caused a short which also made the jeep catch fire. those are old recalls so they probably wont fix it for free anymore

The max a/c function only actuates the recirculation door. It has nothing to do with the compressor or clutch. Recalls are for the life of the vehicle. If the vehicle is 20 years old, and still has an open recall, it will be completed free of charge.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oy, that must have been scary! My brother used to carry a fire extinguisher in his car and he actually had to use it once because the wiring he had running to the subwoofer shorted out and caught the plastic panel along the edge of the door on fire. Maybe it would be a wise investment to get a little one to keep in the KJ =]

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to information on this recall? Both my vehicles would come under this for 2002/2003 models. I looked on the Jeep.com site using my VIN number and also on alldata and came up with nothing.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked on the Jeep.com site using my VIN number and also on alldata and came up with nothing.

I did that a while back with my '02 to check if there were any recalls for it, also came up with nothing. Perhaps they weren't manufactured at the time the recall noted?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a comprehensive list of liberty recalls. The only thing related to the AC is this:

The automaker was also recalling 149,605 Jeep Liberty SUVs from the 2006-2007 model years to fix the heating-ventilation-air conditioning blower motor. Chrysler had received a dozen reports of fires from Liberty owners.

So the 06 and 07's would get blower motor fires. This appears to have nothing to do with an in-engine fire related to the ac clutch.

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/jeep_liberty.htm

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no recalls for that.

Glad you got it put out.

Just curious, you said it melted the idler pulley below the compressor, are you sure that pully didnt go bad? The pulleys on the auto tensioner are bad to lock up causing that exact problem.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no recalls for that.

Glad you got it put out.

Just curious, you said it melted the idler pulley below the compressor, are you sure that pully didnt go bad? The pulleys on the auto tensioner are bad to lock up causing that exact problem.

A couple of people have mentioned tensioner freezing and what not. Is this a part that should be greased? Would it hurt?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure you can grease that part. Ive never looked at it real close but you may be able to pack some grease in it. Ive got some pics of a burnt up one but for some reason I cant log into photobucket at the moment....

Edit, got it. This one was in a ram 4.7 thats used around coal mines a lot. The engine is constantly covered in a few inches of mud along with everything else on the truck. Its well over 100k and it amazes me all the time. Only thing thats been replaced is the EGR valve and the tie rod ends.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of people have mentioned tensioner freezing and what not. Is this a part that should be greased? Would it hurt?
The tensioner assembly should be replaced every 60,000miles just like the serp belt is supposed to be changed.The tensioner spring and the idler pulley bearing are a wear item.

No recalls for any A/C compressor for a KJ.Compressor clutches can and will go bad at will,no way around that since the clutch is also a wear item.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow..the Jeep Jedi's are on this...thanks:D

I am thinking about just replacing the clutch so I dont have to evac-and recharge the system since the clutch is bad. I checked it and it will not turn at all.

the idle pulley melted...I will post pics later from my cell.

just got off the phone with Rockwall Dodge...they must be smoking unfilterd crack...the clutch alone is $288.00 and the compressor is $600.00:D I didnt freak out at all I just told the parts guy drugs are bad for your health.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just got off the phone with Rockwall Dodge...they must be smoking unfilterd crack...the clutch alone is $288.00 and the compressor is $600.00:D I didnt freak out at all I just told the parts guy drugs are bad for your health.

(lol)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price seems pretty fair to me for a compressor from a dealership. You can order them from other places for cheap though.

Ebay always has tons of them. Also, Ive always heard its hard(gotta have special tools or something) to replace just the clutch. If you do get it replaced let us know how you did it. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.