KJ 3.7 Litre Engine Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mad Max

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Can anyone tell me the best way to access the oil filter on a 2005 six cylinder engine? I've tried from above and from below but can't get my arm into a suitable position to apply enough leverage.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
My jeep is lifted so I can get under there easily.
Loosening the filter with a firm fitting plastic end cap filter tool, using socket and ratchet makes it easier.
K&N filters have a 1 inch nut on them.
Once loosened a bit, the oil drains down with a groove or mounted plastic drip channel .
I then use a larger plastic zip lock bag to drop the filter into, and remove from above.
I also cover the steering rack bushing with gorilla tape ensuring no oil gets onto the rack bushing.
I often borrow my friends lift, that sure makes the job easier.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go from above. My '05 is up on metal ramps, so I stand on one of my concrete blocks or plastic ramp to give myself some room and use oil filter pliers to get it loose, then spin off by hand.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the bottom as stated above. I found it far easier after trimming off the bottom of the bumper.

Mad Max

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Perhaps it's more difficult on a right hand drive model. I found a couple of items on U Tube, suggesting to remove the radiator fan and cowling. That certainly did the trick but seems an awful load of hassle just to change the oil filter so I've cut a recess in the bottom of the cowling so it can be removed with the fan still in place next time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Perhaps it's more difficult on a right hand drive model. I found a couple of items on U Tube, suggesting to remove the radiator fan and cowling. That certainly did the trick but seems an awful load of hassle just to change the oil filter so I've cut a recess in the bottom of the cowling so it can be removed with the fan still in place next time.
Should not have to remove fan or any of that, I can just reach up in on any of mine to get to filter
If not just trim the bottom of the bumper

Last edited:

gregorym

Reaction score
Ok so just done my first oil change on 2006 KJ 3.7 what a pain i now own every oil wrench known to man of course it took the last one i bought to get the job done the one i got to work is the three point type but only if i used my 1/2 air drive with it other wise it would just turn with out tightening come at it from underneath and use a long extension hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online