Kinda squirmy on snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three pager!!nana.gif

Lets go for a "four pager"!!nana.gif

I heard it explained today on a CBC radio program. The rubber that all season tires are made of isn't pliable at low temps which means less grip and also their tread pattern is designed to prevent hydroplaning and be quiet on the highways rather than a aggressive tread for digging into the snow. Winter tires are supposed to be softer at low temps. I've heard that those "ice" tires are real soft and wear quickly on pavement.

I don't have actual "winter" tires, I have Trail Busters which I assume are M&S. Sure I'm going to slide around a turn if I'm in 4WD part-time and hit the "go" pedal. Try it in 2WD sometime.

sjtilney

Reaction score
Took my 05 in snow covered trails up hill, down hill and had no problems at all. I didn't get stuck once. I think the Toyo Open Country AT helped alot.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of discussion about winter driving. Do you want to drive on top of the snow or through it?

My Libby's suspension is still stock riding on P235/70/R16's and I prefer to plow through the snow with 22lbs of air in the tires.

When I take my YJ into the woods in the deep stuff I do it with 33" 12.5 Procomp's running less than 6lbs of air. I've learned when driving in deep snow its wise to drive on top of the snow and don't spin the tires or else I'll sink quick.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no myth that skinnier tyres do help in snowy conditions ,just ask any rally car driver.
Actually wider tires are better on snow and ice,the skinny tire myth is just that a myth,just like mud it has been proven that wider tires is better also.But so is the proper traction(tread).

Skinny tires=less surface contact(contact patch) which leads to less traction,and the contact patch has a high PSI #(not the PSI in the tires either).
Wider tires=more surface contact(contact patch) which leads to more traction and a very low(even more so when aired down) contact patch PSI #.

Keeping on top of the surface equals less drag and makes it easier to keep control and forward motion.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skinny tires=less surface contact(contact patch) which leads to less traction,and the contact patch has a high PSI #(not the PSI in the tires either).
Wider tires=more surface contact(contact patch) which leads to more traction and a very low(even more so when aired down) contact patch PSI #.

not always true, depends on the surface in contact.

also, let's not forget its about 90% driver when it comes to driving in mud, snow, ice, rocks, anything other than pavement. so maybe we all just call it even and say all of our tires are wider than most cars out on the road and be happy :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not always true, depends on the surface in contact.
So what surface is less traction and a low contact psi(the wieght is spread over a larger area) better? I can't think of any,and don't say pavement,maybe for those little econo-death traps for mpg's.If you want more mpg's why did you buy a Jeep anyway?Heck even the big rigs are starting to see the benifits of wider tires,many are switching to "super singles" and dumping the duals,the super singles are way wider and have a much better load capicity the any set of duals.

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the weight isnt always spread over the surface, thats the issue. the tire track is different than the tire width. a thinner tire will also have more downward/lateral pressure which increases the contact patch. a wide tire will not have as much downward pressure which produces less contact patch.

again, we are talking about very small differences in these trucks anyhow.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the weight isnt always spread over the surface, thats the issue. the tire track is different than the tire width. a thinner tire will also have more downward/lateral pressure which increases the contact patch. a wide tire will not have as much downward pressure which produces less contact patch.

again, we are talking about very small differences in these trucks anyhow.
Okay,at the proper psi where talking about a few squire inches,no not much at all when some tires only have a few squire inches of contact patch to begin with.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a lot worse...

You must be registered for see images

ok now I am just bored haha