Keyless Entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
How do you tell if your Liberty has keyless entry? I bought mine used, so Im not sure if it has the capability for keyless entry, but I find it strange that I only have one door handle key slot, and power locks. This leads me to belive that at one point it may have had it but Im not sure. Is there any way to tell if so can just buy a fob and get it programmed. If it doesnt have it is there just a module that you add into it for keyless entry?
Thanks for the help everyone!

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I had the same question with a Cherokee I bought used. It had electric locks, but the seller didn't provide any key fobs. It turned out the vehicle was equipped with remote entry, so I ordered key fobs on eBay, had them programmed, and I was all set :).

You can find out by getting a build sheet for your Jeep.

Send an email to [email protected], request a Build Sheet, and include your VIN, and pretty soon thereafter you'll have a complete list of what was included in your Jeep.

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for that, I had given up on this thread many weeks ago :D I will send them an email out as soon as i get my vin. Thank you very very very much!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If you only have the keyhole on the driver's side door handle then your Jeep came with Keyless entry

Depends on the year, 2002s had keyholes on both sides, with or without keyless entry.

If you have power locks, you likely have keyless entry. You just need the remotes and them programmed for it.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the year, 2002s had keyholes on both sides, with or without keyless entry.

If you have power locks, you likely have keyless entry. You just need the remotes and them programmed for it.

yes I know 2002's had keyholes on both sides (and on the liftgate) but my statement still rings true, the OP said he only had one keyhole so he has to have Keyless.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 2005 with power locks and no keyless entry, and only one key hole. I bought it used, so I found it strange that it didnt come with keyless entry. I found it to be a pain to only have one key hole. I am awaiting my response from Jeep. Thanks again guys.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean it didnt come with a FOB?

Correct, it came with one key and no fob. I saw a link on here before about getting keys cheaply and then getting programmed at a dealership. Would the dealer also cut the key?

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 2005 with power locks and no keyless entry, and only one key hole. I bought it used, so I found it strange that it didnt come with keyless entry. I found it to be a pain to only have one key hole. I am awaiting my response from Jeep. Thanks again guys.

I thought all the 2005's had the keyless remote buttons on the key itself? I know that mine does.
Bruce

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all the 2005's had the keyless remote buttons on the key itself? I know that mine does.
Bruce

Ya thats what Iam thinking and with the chip being in the key it will not run without it and if you have a remote start you need the flash logic.
So no keyless no anti theft? strange for a 05.
Kinda sounds like someone did a mod on it.
If you give the vin to your insurance company thay can tell you on the phone if it has anti theft.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is what I found out from the factory:
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
GXXP Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
I guess it was just the spare key? Mabye the idiot before me threw it out when the battery died, I dont know. I will call the place where I bought it and see if they forgot to give it to me. Does anyone have that link to buy spare keys cheaply? They can still program it if I only have the one key now right? Thanks for the help guys!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is what I found out from the factory:
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
GXXP Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
I guess it was just the spare key? Mabye the idiot before me threw it out when the battery died, I dont know. I will call the place where I bought it and see if they forgot to give it to me. Does anyone have that link to buy spare keys cheaply? They can still program it if I only have the one key now right? Thanks for the help guys!
You need 2 master keys that are already programmed to the vehicle to be able to program more keys yourself.One key and it's time for a trip to the dealership as the DRBIII is needed to get the pin code for the chipped key.Going to cost you some $$$ so be prepared and make sure you bring the title and all current papers stating your ownership or they may not touch it.

Latest posts

Members online