Key Fob Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2004 jeep liberty from my cousin but I didn't get any key fobs for it. I can get my hands on some used one pretty cheap via ebay or the local junk yard but don't know where or how to proceed from there. Some cars can program a new fob if you have an existing one to link it too but that's not an option in this case and I fear the dealership is going to be expensive to get a new fob and then get it programmed. Does anyone have any insight or know if there is a way to do this on a budget like at a auto parts store or even a possibility to buy one on ebay and do myself? thanks!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need at least one working fob in order to program a new one. If you don't have one, you will need to go to the dealership to have it programmed.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2004 jeep liberty from my cousin but I didn't get any key fobs for it. I can get my hands on some used one pretty cheap via ebay or the local junk yard but don't know where or how to proceed from there. Some cars can program a new fob if you have an existing one to link it too but that's not an option in this case and I fear the dealership is going to be expensive to get a new fob and then get it programmed. Does anyone have any insight or know if there is a way to do this on a budget like at a auto parts store or even a possibility to buy one on ebay and do myself? thanks!

I BELIEVE the key fob will have to be dealer programmed if you don't have 2 or more available (which obviously you do not).

Others might chime in with using third parties.

geeze

Reaction score
I have a similiar question. I just bought a 2007, and it didn't have any FOBs. Where some KJs delivered without FOBs? If so can I add this option using junk yard parts?

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to check the dealer, Wife decided to throw my jeans in the wash with my only fob in the pocket.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think it's something like $80 to have it done at the dealer. I guess that could be different at every dealership too though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similiar question. I just bought a 2007, and it didn't have any FOBs. Where some KJs delivered without FOBs? If so can I add this option using junk yard parts?
Yes some could have been made without keyless entry,take your VIN into the dealership and have them see if it has keyless entry or not.If not there is no easy or cheap way and you can not use junkyard parts since you will need the "premium" BCM in which the keyless entry module attaches to.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to check the dealer, Wife decided to throw my jeans in the wash with my only fob in the pocket.

Take battery out. Drop the fob in rice for a week or place it under a warm bulb for several days. I don't know of any components in a fob that would be ruined if wet. Dry it out properly and then pop in a new battery.

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this for my '05. Mine and up you need two keys with fobs to program but older just requires one. Call around to some locksmiths. I bought a key and had it cut for $2. He offered to program it if I didn't have a way to do it. Dealer wanted $60 to cut the key and I forget how much more to program.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I got two brand new keys w/fobs. Had to have some @#$%^& tear out my steering column to make that necessary, though.

I know it's a pain, but it could be worse. :emotions34:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will I need to buy new fobs specific to my jeep at the dealer or can I just get some jeep fobs on ebay or from junkyard and get the dealer to link them to my vehicle?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as they are the correct ones for your year I would think eBay or the junkyard would be fine. I think the 04 uses the one that hangs from your keychain. Not 100% certain on that. My 05 has it as part of the key itself.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 has a normal key with the remote that attaches to my keyring.. No actual fob. Not sure if they made a fob for that year.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a pic of what it looks like Snail Farmer? The way you described it I think u meant its the key with bottons built in but my 04 Cherokee and my moms 04 Cherokee both have the separate remote. I still have the orginal jeep key that came with my liberty and its just a key (no electronics) so im figuring it had the same or similar fob as my Cherokee has.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep only came with one fob, so I bought a Mopar uncut key blank/fob combo on eBay and had the dealer cut & program it while it was having the rear lower control arm recall done. They charged me $50.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up to 2004, it's a separate keyless transmitter, similar to your Cherokee's (the ones you have may or may not have a button for the hatch). For 2005-up, it's a combination key/transmitter.
Your key and fob are separate things.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so we know its a separate fob now. Its a 2004 Columbia edition....any chance it didn't have a keyless entry to start with? I doubt that's the case but still thought id ask. Also im not sure if anyone answered....should I just buy a used fob on ebay and get the dealer to link it to my jeep or do I need a specific serial numbered fob that I should just let the dealer order new. Thanks guys for all the help. just trying to get all my details lined up before I take her in to get a coolant flush. May try to talk them into this service discounted as part of the package.

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go online and use your vin number on the jeep website and pull the build sheet for your Jeep. Then you can see if it came set up with fobs from the factory before spending money on anything.

Latest posts

Members online