K&N: Gain or lose GAS MILEAGE...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searched a bunch of threads and read up that the FIPK will decrease gas mileage due to more air entering the engine causing more fuel to be injected.

Is this true? I was thinking of ordering one thinking it would help on gas mileage.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your just going to let more dirt into your engine is all,hence why a K&N flows better then a paper filter as it does not filter very good.Stick with the OEM setup with a good paper filter and you will have more then enough flow then your KJ can handle.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that with added/upgraded filters/air intake kits the 3.7's computer is constantly measuring air flow and adjusts accordingly to keep the same ratio. I am 97% sure of this. The stock intake system is pretty darn good to begin with... has the "snorkel" design and gets air right above the grill. I've read that guys have had same if not better results with just a drop in K&N filter as opposed to the whole FIPK or other kit. Plus saves money to waste on other things for your kj :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried several setups best so far Amsoil filter in the stock box with a 3 inch dryer vent hose to the grill

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any REAL improvement with my setup, except for highway driving. I plan on using the stock air-box as a partial heat shield. With the system I have, just going to route the cone into the box, so the snorkel/funnel on the box airbox gets the outside air in, and not the warm under-hood air.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock intake system is pretty darn good to begin with... has the "snorkel" design and gets air right above the grill.

X2. When I opened up my hood for the first time, I looked at that design and realized how ingenious it was. I left well enough alone.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wifes KJ has a FIPK w/ Amsoil cone filter and the whole thing *****. I get better mileage out of my SFA KJ w/ stock air box & drop in Amsoil Ea series filter than hers does and that was true Before the SFA too.

(only reason hers still has the fipk is due to other mods that got in the way of the stock air box, but might be fixing that in the near future)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a K&N on mine since new(40+). So far so good and it makes a nice little sucking noise. Thought about getting an Amsoil for awhile but weve also have a K&N on the zj for over 100k and so far so good(170K).

Use a Wix on the Hemi though.

L

lil black liberty

As Do I have a K/N Drop In.. No problems.. Sure she gets a little dirty but hey monthly cleanings are good for it!