just got A 2012 lib. upgrade time. any thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justy87

Reaction score
Hey, i just got A 2012 lib. Kk with the 3.7L guttless wonder powering the thing. I love the style and those upgrades Will come later. For now i want to see what i can do to the engine. Are there any chips or anything that i can get that Will over ride the ECU and let the motor create the power it should have? Intake wise, i Will go with a K&N cold air. Exhaust needs some help, cat back but not sure what one is the best. Any other mods that don't require me to take the engine apart? Thanks for the help!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing bolt on will give you more power. You're about the 500th person to post about the exact same thing.

The ECU is what will override anything you put on it. K&N = waste of money. No benefits besides louder intake, if you consider that a benefit.

Leave it as is and enjoy a pretty much bullet proof setup. Anything you add-on will only jeopardize the integrity of a well rounded system.

It is what it is.

isomswim

Reaction score
Hey, i just got A 2012 lib. Kk with the 3.7L guttless wonder powering the thing. I love the style and those upgrades Will come later. For now i want to see what i can do to the engine. Are there any chips or anything that i can get that Will over ride the ECU and let the motor create the power it should have? Intake wise, i Will go with a K&N cold air. Exhaust needs some help, cat back but not sure what one is the best. Any other mods that don't require me to take the engine apart? Thanks for the help!

Dont expect too much these engines are and never will be power houses.
Exhaust: chopp off the muffler and resonator and put in a flowmaster or magnaflow
Theri is the hypertech orjet chip but they are not yet compatible with 2012 o they may be but your best option for true ecu upgrade is b&g retunes which writes over the existing tune. Intake I always just go with a drop in filter because I think its a waste to buy the whole setup. Just my 2 cents

justy87

Reaction score
So a cleaner flowing intake/exhaust even with the same ECU would not help the power/gas mileage? I find that hard to believe. Freeing up the airflow might not do much but 3-4 miles a gallon might be worth the try. Im not looking for a power house motor just one a little better. Thanks for the input fellas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Gain 3-4 mpgs?? think again
Good paper filter in the airbox
aftermarket exhaust if you want some sound do away with the resonator and be good as you can get

isomswim

Reaction score
Honestly I do understand trying to get the power and mpgs from an engine but the two do not go together. You get either one or the other not both. The engine in the liberty is ancient technology that Chrysler should have done away with with the second generation but too late for that now. Its an offroad SUV its not going to get good mpgs, no offense but just deal with it. lol

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two can go together. They just don't and both aren't even close with this engine plus it is a heavy slug of a vehicle. It's a lose lose situation. Get a V6 accord if you want power and mpg. Used to have an 07 (wife's) got 29 highway and 24 city. Would get me in trouble.