Just Came On Board Here With A 2006 Liberty Sport (Dingy Towing?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
BIG EDIT on 2/10/2010

Hi All,

This is our first Chrysler product since 1980. My wife and I bought a 2006 Liberty Sport last December and are very pleased with it, with only minor complaint of design quirks of which we assume is "Chrysler Logic". I started another thread on a safety concern we have, with the traction control.

We plan to tow it behind our motorhome of which I get into good detail about our setup, later in this thread.

Ron
2006 Sport 4x4

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to tow the Liberty behind a motor home, you gotta make sure you have the transfer case in N(neutral)...if it's a 4x4 that is.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to find a tow bar setup?
He must not have looked to hard Ryan

Road Master
Demco
Ready Brake
all have setups available
seen a few advertised on Ebay and Craigslist as well

OH wait hes a retired automotive engineer, the way they do things is always backwards anyways

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
hard to find a tow bar setup?
He must not have looked to hard ryan

road master
demco
ready brake
all have setups available
seen a few advertised on ebay and craigslist as well

oh wait hes a retired automotive engineer, the way they do things is always backwards anyways

lol hj!:d

I'll be honest with you, I have never looked myself, so I sort of took his word for it!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I had a buck for every KJ I've seen with a tow bar....I'd get an SFA....

Actually don't see them all the time, but on the highways you'll see some KJ's behind RV's...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i was looking on eTrailer... Those tow setups must bolt in like the tow hooks do to the heavier part of the frame.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Ron,
Your Falcon-II is rated for 6,000 lbs, so I would just keep it and get a new base plate.
These Libertys tow great, don't even know that it's back there. The owners manual on mine says to not start the engine with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park.
I tried for ever to put the transmission in neutral and then start it, before taking the transfer case back to 2 Hi, it always ground. Now I just put the transmission in neutral and put the transfercase in 2HI, then start it, no more grinding.:p

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently bought an 03 Renegade that has the Roadmaster base plates installed. I tried to move the brackets from our Honda CRV over to the Renny, but they won't fit the bar that goes across the top. Called Roadmaster and they gave me the part numbers for the new brackets that will allow the bar to fit the jeep. Ordered them for $156. This should allow me to use the Falcon towbar with the Jeep. You should be able to get the necessary base plates and brackets from a Roadmaster dealer and have them installed on you KJ.

BTY, the base plates bolt on the frame members where the tow hooks normally go. This eliminates the tow hooks. The two two receiver tubes that come out of the front of the truck are 1 1/2" square so neither a 2" or 1 1/4" tow shackles or trailer ball equipment will fit. I would love to be able to use these points for recovery if I could find something to fit. If not, I guess I will have to have something fabricated.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new EZ Roadmaster tow bar bracket #521423-1 off Ebay for $250. I will eventually get to installing it myself. I won't need it till next year in 2011. It will be a rainy-day project.

Here are the details of the bracket and it's installation.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521423-1.pdf

I had been towing a Toyota MR2 Spyder with this 6000 pound Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-2282-05.pdf
Roadmaster just told me today, the Jeep Liberty bracket I just bought, will work perfectly with it.

I also need to research a secondary braking system because I did not have one for the MR2. This Liberty is about 1600 pounds heavier, and the 2200 pound Spyder was just about as heavy as I felt comfortable towing without extra braking power.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when you tow the KJ like that behind a RV or such do you put the transfer case and the trans in neutral? But then how do you remove the key from the ignition in neutral?

Just curious after reading this...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tcase in N and ****** in P.

Ahh ok... Just wondering because i know sometime this summer i have to go haul a 4wd Wrangler for a friend using one of those car dolly type trailers from U-Haul.

He is getting deployed overseas and he asked me to haul his Jeep from his place to his folks place for safe keeping... Road Trip!

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your user's manual re:Towing. It tells you all the stuff you need to know about how to tow the Liberty with all four wheels on the ground. If you don't have a manual they are available to order online. Just Google.

We tow our 03 Renny behind our motorhome with all the wheels on the ground and it works great.