Just a tid-bit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Made a quick trip to the Huron-Manistee National Forest 9/23-9/24. Lots of off the beat paths, tons of two tracks, some roads would be open on one end but closed off on the other :thumbsdown:

Was a good test for the new rubber, did great in gravel and stone retention was next to none. Loose dirt/sand was great too. She's got some small scars along the paint, but that'll just give her more character! :gr_grin: Can't wait to get the new suspension parts on order and installed once tax season rolls around now..

Hopefully one of these days I can get a group to go up and hit the fire roads and two tracks with me.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that areas on my to-do list next summer. Been dying to get up to Northern Michigan and do some exploring

It's nice because it's not WAY up north, not that I don't want to go visit the UP. Been way too long since I've been there. Lumbermans is a decent attraction also, great views of the Au Sable river. As I mentioned above, be wary that certain roads (They'll look like two tracks but are marked with four digits as a FR) will have one way in but the other side will be totally blocked off. I asked the local ranger station in Oscoda why they were like this and all the lady had to say wasn't much at all. Claims they're doing it, but why one end and not the other??? No answers. :thumbsdown:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nice because it's not WAY up north, not that I don't want to go visit the UP. Been way too long since I've been there. Lumbermans is a decent attraction also, great views of the Au Sable river. As I mentioned above, be wary that certain roads (They'll look like two tracks but are marked with four digits as a FR) will have one way in but the other side will be totally blocked off. I asked the local ranger station in Oscoda why they were like this and all the lady had to say wasn't much at all. Claims they're doing it, but why one end and not the other??? No answers. :thumbsdown:

Had that exact problem in the UP. Thankfully there was a big enough gap between the larger trees to fit the KJ, so we went around it. Had to push over a few smaller trees though. :(

Next time I'm up there, I'm going to keep an eye open for your KJ in town. I kind of want to say I may have saw you at Riverside last time I was up in early/mid September. There was a Khaki KJ, but I can't remember if it was lifted or not. So if you see an idiot in a Silver '05 flashing his lights at you, that's me. :)

that areas on my to-do list next summer. Been dying to get up to Northern Michigan and do some exploring

I've not done any trail riding in the area, but Northern Michigan and the UP are excellent for backwoods driving and exploring. Plus, for the most part, the people are super friendly (especially in the UP) and the craft beers are excellent afterwards!

Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had that exact problem in the UP. Thankfully there was a big enough gap between the larger trees to fit the KJ, so we went around it. Had to push over a few smaller trees though. :(

Next time I'm up there, I'm going to keep an eye open for your KJ in town. I kind of want to say I may have saw you at Riverside last time I was up in early/mid September. There was a Khaki KJ, but I can't remember if it was lifted or not. So if you see an idiot in a Silver '05 flashing his lights at you, that's me. :)

I've not done any trail riding in the area, but Northern Michigan and the UP are excellent for backwoods driving and exploring. Plus, for the most part, the people are super friendly (especially in the UP) and the craft beers are excellent afterwards!

The off beat trails I was hitting were ridiculously narrow and could have easily passed as ORV trails only had they not been numbered. Had to improvise and make a small clearing to turn around unfortunately :blah: but other than the two or three trails that that happened it was a good time. When I get my next week off I'm going to head back up and go deeper into the woods past the Au Sable into the Hale/Mio area, might even hit up Bull Gap.

Can't say you saw me though, unfortunately this has been the only time I've been able to make it out of town :thumbsdown: Hoping to get in with ThumbJeeps and try and make some more time to get some wheeling in. Let me know next time you plan on making it out to the area and maybe we can hit some trails together.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wait, just read your thread and said your parents live in Montrose... You mean Riverside in town here? Then yes, probably, lol. I'm always between Montrose and Clio.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of wheeling in there in the UP? I could possibly make something up there since I'm in WI.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, just read your thread and said your parents live in Montrose... You mean Riverside in town here? Then yes, probably, lol. I'm always between Montrose and Clio.

Yep, that's where I meant. :happy175:

What kind of wheeling in there in the UP? I could possibly make something up there since I'm in WI.

Little of everything, really. It really depends on where you go.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We have close friends who have a cabin just outside Manistique right on Indian Lake. He tells me the snow machine trails are incredible and that between those and the forest roads/trails I'd have a blast in the KJ.

Hoosier, let's make an effort to do that - I don't mind the 11 hour drive ;)

Bob

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have close friends who have a cabin just outside Manistique right on Indian Lake. He tells me the snow machine trails are incredible and that between those and the forest roads/trails I'd have a blast in the KJ.

Bob

I imagine, my parents used to have a place on Manistique Lake in Curtis, Mi. Now they have property and park their travel trailer on it. Portable cabin? Guess it works, and it was cheap too (it's nearly as old as me, but in great shape).

The snowmobile trails in that area are... extensive. Actually, throughout the western UP they are like that. I imagine there are some pretty gnarly trails over near Marquette/Houghton area in the Iron Range. Lots of rock outcroppings and pretty rolling hills with thick forests. Just have to be careful not to fall into a mine shaft.

In case you can't tell, I miss living in Michigan. :happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Bob

Is that on the UP? That'd be a blast.

Have you been to the Badlands in Attica yet? That'd be a fun trip too sometime.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Indiana...about 40 mins east of Danville I think. It's pretty cool, enough trails for a solid day of wheeling. Open year round.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indiana...about 40 mins east of Danville I think. It's pretty cool, enough trails for a solid day of wheeling. Open year round.

Time to head over to Google Maps and see how long of a trip it is from my place. Like I said, I've got the itch for a weekend off roading :mexsmoke:

EDIT: It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive for me. Spend the night then wheel the next day or two. Yep, I can do that...

Bob

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's about 7 hours from here...heading down friday night works and then wheel Saturday. Attica Inn is the best bet for a hotel, it's clean at least lol.

Latest posts

Members online