Jumpin H crickets... I just cannot find the answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked just about everywhere I can think of. Short of making phone calls I have a couple of questions:

background: 02 Libby; Daystar budget lift ; 245/75/16 BFG's; just bought ARB bumper

I want to get rid of the daystar and am considering OME

What springs should I get that will: Maintain the lift that I have, maybe get a lil more. If I get the springs will that allow me to do away with the daystar components?

My struts are new Bilsteins and I love the ride, will I have to change these out when I get the new springs?

My rear shocks are old and I plan on replacing them when I get the springs, so, Will I need longer rear shocks..

If I missed all my answers in some other thread, I sincerely apologize. After all the reading I have been doing I'm still at the what the hell stage!

All I want is my height, the great ride that I have and the ability to buy my winch without sagging the front end.
Thanks in advance. and I understand some may not like Daystar or Bilstein or even ARB.. But I like it all.. Well,. not the Daystar as much. And , yes I am paying now for buying the Daystar, but at the time I had that much money and it caused me to want more. Now I have more money and I can do this now..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of different ways to go
OME 927s are advertised for KJs with aftermarket bumpers etc
I installed my ARB along with OME 927s within two weeks of each other, ran them until they had 100,000 miles on the setup. In that time they had sagged about 3/4 of an inch which I just added some more clevis
AFTER that setup, installed OME 790s these are rated at 500 lb where as the 927s are 400. I ran them for 50-55,000 before I swapped them for something better. They held firm right where I installed them at during that time. THEY ARE a bit firm for some but I liked the ride and handling. On the road they rode great.
yes you'll need new rear shocks
JeepinByAl has everything you need form the springs/shocks , top plates ( for more lift ) etc
Trust me you'll love the way it rides with either after having the Daystar, which you'll find out rode like crap

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Tommudd.. I was thinking of going with the 790's in the first place.

So I am correct in assuming that I can keep the New front Bilstein struts? and just replace the rear with a longer shock.. I can buy the OME springs for approx. 170.00.

THanks again

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have very low miles on the front Bilstein shocks then, yes, you can keep them. There is only one size for the front shocks - in other words, just because your Jeep is lifted doesn't mean you purchase different shocks for the front. Only one size offered for the front.

As for the rear...If you go with OME 948's and an upper isolator or two you will need longer shocks. Get ones that would fit a '99 to 2004 Dodge Dakota 4X4 and they'll be the proper length.

Like Tom said, you will be very pleasantly surprised at the big improvement in ride quality and stability with the OME springs and Bilstein shocks. People who ride in mine are always surprised when we hit railroad tracks, dips in the road, etc. at how well it handles. Many assume just because it's lifted it will ride like Grandpa's tractor - but it rides better than the day it came off the assembly line.

Keep questions coming!

Bob

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome and thanks guys I really needed the info.. I'm getting tired of throwing good money after bad!
So, my agenda is 790's for the front, 948's for the rear with a longer shock (99-04 Dakota)..

Sounds great! Now, I'm off to 4Wheelparts.. See the prices and make an order... Lucky to have a decent place close by.. and pick up my Hi-lift!
Thanks again, I really appreciate it..

Members online

No members online now.