Jeep won't start with key after belt tensioner change??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just changed my belt tensioner and now the vehicle won't crank with my key, but command start can still start it. Any advice?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried jumping the starter relay with the key in "run" position, it cranked but would not start, remote start remains the only way to start it for now : /

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a remote start but maybe it is somehow screwing up the key in ignition start?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a remote start but maybe it is somehow screwing up the key in ignition start?

why would this happen for the first time after changing belt tensioner : /

Never had this issue before

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now I'm leaving the battery disconnected long enough for everything to fully discharge, if key start doesn't work after that I may replace the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin

:(

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What you changed would have no reason to not start, you've disconnected a wire, bumped a wire or something

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now I'm leaving the battery disconnected long enough for everything to fully discharge, if key start doesn't work after that I may replace the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin

May be a good thing to check. Does it feel different when you turn the key? Like Tom said not related to the actual tensioner swap. Either you did something else or the actuator pin or some other issue decided to give you grief. That Murphy guy is omnipresent. :gr_grin:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be a good thing to check. Does it feel different when you turn the key? Like Tom said not related to the actual tensioner swap. Either you did something else or the actuator pin or some other issue decided to give you grief. That Murphy guy is omnipresent. :gr_grin:

So far I know:

• the relay or at least a relay clicks in the engine bay when I turn key, no crank
  • If I jump the starter relay which I believe is what is clicking, the engine cranks but won't start. But that also don't make sense because if It's actually clicking when I turn the key shouldn't it be cranking the engine just like when I jump it?
  • I can still start it with viper command start : /

:signs8:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe swap that relay for another just to see what happens. Maybe relay is clicking, but not working?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If engine does not turn over with ignition key then but does turn over by jumpering pins 30 and 87 together inside the Starter Relay socket then actuator assembly is probably bad. Best to get access to it and see if it is broken...you can rotate the ignition switch with a flat screwdriver while ignition key is in its normal position to enable SKIS and release the steering lock.

Also the ignition switch itself may be faulty...presumably this gets overridden by your Remote Start feature.

Try swapping over the ASD relay or remove it and jumper the pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty relay socket.

Last edited:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I jump asd and it starts with the key it's likely the actuator or Ignition switch? I didn't realize it should be activating both the starter relay and asd relay

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If engine does not turn over with ignition key then but does turn over by jumpering pins 30 and 87 together inside the Starter Relay socket then actuator assembly is probably bad. Best to get access to it and see if it is broken...you can rotate the ignition switch with a flat screwdriver while ignition key is in its normal position to enable SKIS and release the steering lock.

Also the ignition switch itself may be faulty...presumably this gets overridden by your Remote Start feature.

Try swapping over the ASD relay or remove it and jumper the pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty relay socket.

I tried jumping ASD and using key, no luck

Then I tried jumping ASD, putting key in run and jumping starter, it cranked but no start, just like without ASD jumped

When i have the key in run and I jump the ASD i can hear something hum or buzz in engine bay so I think it's working normally

I am still able to start it with command start, engine starts 100% normal, no noticeable difference in prestart up noises

PS:
can you clarify this part and what i should expect when doing it?

"you can rotate the ignition switch with a flat screwdriver while ignition key is in its normal position to enable SKIS and release the steering lock."

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a partially broken actuator cause some relays to activate in engine bay but not all, or would that be a messed up ignition switch?

it's very weird I can start it with command start but can't run it by jumping asd and starter relay

PS: anyone know if ignition switch powers stuff besides ASD and starter relay?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solved!

It was the ignition actuator assembly, so for anyone finding this thread due to same symptoms, in my case the ignition actuator was broken in just such a way that it activated some relays when turning ignition switch but could not crank the engine.

PS, replaced with Dorman 924-704 and the metal part that was broken on the oem actuator was noticeably beefier and very snug fitting into the ignition switch