Jeep wagon comparisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtman

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Jeep wagon (no wrangler) 2010-2012 model-- i currently own a 94 GCL--not interested in a Cherokee--assuming the Compass is the lower end of options-- how would you rate the Patriot vs. Commander vs. Liberty based on heavy duty ranking of each--power and 4x4 options specifically thanks

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to find me a Jeep wagon. They are pretty hard to come by around here. I found one for sale that had almost no rust but they wanted an arm and a leg for it. Most are rusted badly though around here.

As far as you chose an suv from your list instead of the wagon, I would say the XK with Hemi in it. I've never driven one but I've heard many people who have had them in clubs post up how must power they seem to have. Next would the a KJ or KK.

Last edited:

mtman

Reaction score
yeah by wagon i meant anything Jeep thats not a wrangler--just trying to see how they match up --like i know a patriot is not as rugged as a commander but what about Liberty vs. Commander

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My first question is what do you intend to use the vehicle for?
One the main difference between commander & Kj is not only power but SFA compared to IFS & less articulation and smaller tires on the KJ.
If you intend to do Moab trail regularly..well SFA may be the better choice.
Patriot...ahhh..no thanks..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My first question is what do you intend to use the vehicle for?
One the main difference between commander & Kj is not only power but SFA compared to IFS & less articulation and smaller tires on the KJ.
If you intend to do Moab trail regularly..well SFA may be the better choice.
Patriot...ahhh..no thanks..

SFA on a Commander ? They are the same as the KJs etc IFS
Plus Commanders with the Hemis like their gas if that s a concern.
Depends on how many people you need to haul plus how many a very short since rear seats in the Commander are best for only young children or very short trips

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've driven quite a few Commanders over the years and now have a WK Grand which is the same as a Commander. Great Jeeps, they sit quite a bit lower than a KJ so I'd say the KJ is more capable, especially with the smaller foot print. The WK handles and rides very nice, I'd say better in some ways than my LR3. The WK is pretty comfortable for 4 people, as would the Commander. The third row in a Commander is worthless, I wouldn't even count on using it much. The Commanders have the "theatre seating" like the LR3s which is really nice for the second row passengers, as well having skylights in the back.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah by wagon i meant anything Jeep thats not a wrangler--just trying to see how they match up --like i know a patriot is not as rugged as a commander but what about Liberty vs. Commander

Oh I'm sorry, I misread what you wrote. I thought it said Jeep Wagoneer.

mtman

Reaction score
thanks -definitely won't be going serious offroading with the vehicle --a d.d. for sure--just saw a commander on the lot and was curious where it fit in the Jeep family--now it's down to a KJ or KK Liberty--pros and cons between the two? thanks again

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically WK(Grand Cherokee) and XK(Commander) are identical suspension wise. I know there's a few Wks out there on 37s, so I would assume you can do that with a XK. Hemis are where it's at. The mileage difference isn't huge between the 3.7, 4.7 and Hemi. Now 4x4 systems I'm not too sure of, but I believe Hemi equipped models have an electronic locker in the rear.

The KK and KJ are the next model down. Slightly smaller, and slightly cheaper. KJ is the older model of the Liberty, it ran from 02-07. KK ran from 08-12. Basically they're very similar, the rear suspension is different on the KK. The 3.7 isn't the most powerful, but it gets the job done. The KK also seems to get slightly worse mileage than the KJ. Both are limited to about 4" of lift. The KJ has a 6" kit, but it's just the 4" with a 2" cradle drop.

Basically if you're between a KJ and a KK it comes down to which body style you like. Some KJ years were know for bad window regulators, not sure which though. And the KK has a stronger front diff.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the look of the KJ to the KK but the KK has more space inside and does not have the "unsafe" fuel tank location of the KJ.
If you get a KJ you can get apparently get a free tow hitch fitted by the Dealers.....excluding wiring....which is supposed to fix the issue of a rear-end shunt.
I had a Mopar hitch fitted to my 2002 Export CRD KJ when I bought it so I am already covered!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom for correcting me on SFA on Commander.
I was really thinking about a Rubicon.
I guess I don't ever see Commander's here.Too many Rubicons in my brain.