Jeep Tent vs Pop Up Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any opinions as to which way to go, the tent would be my first choice as to price.
Any pros and Cons to the jeep tent?

thanks

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any opinions as to which way to go, the tent would be my first choice as to price.
Any pros and Cons to the jeep tent?

thanks

What would be the point?
we are talking about the one that connects to the back of the Jeep right?
I just dont see the point
I have 2 tents
1 is a standard "big" tent that sleeps like 8 people but you can stand up in it
made by Colman I think
The other is smaller 2 man tent for back packing
cost way to much but only weighs like 2# or something like that
we bought it years ago when me and my wife had time to go back packing
now I use it when I go off in the Jeep by my self over night

oh the pop up camper will have AC

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hotel room.

Tents would leak if they weren't properly set up.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotel room.

Tents would leak if they weren't properly set up.

How about a compromise; a setup a tent in a hotel room :p

If you have the room to stuff a tent & all your camping supplies in or on top of your Libby then I'd go with that. Towing a trailer, even a pop up tent trailer increases the load on the Libby & reduces gas mileage. Though sleeping off the ground in a trailer does have it's benefits and many pop up's have small kitchens.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought briefly about one of those tailgate tents... I decided I didn't really want to share a tent with my spare tire and tailgate. I think those things would work great for something with a clamshell back end that turns the tailgate into a table, or just the hatchback type to get no intrusions where I ight want to sleep. I borrowed a neigbores pop-up trailer last weekend... that was a new experience, and it worked out pretty good. I was able to pack a cooler, and tent and sleeping bags, and all kinds of crap into the trailer, but I still had an 85lb dog and a cooler full of drinks in the back of the jeep, 3 -5 kids in the back seat depending on what moment in the day it was, and two adults in the front... not to mention the car top carrier with about 50 lbs of stuff in it... I suddenly realized... I NEED the OME heavy duty rear springs!
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as cost goes... I borrowed it for free... But the owner bought it used for $500. I have seen a few other used ones go in the range of $250-500

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as cost goes... I borrowed it for free... But the owner bought it used for $500. I have seen a few other used ones go in the range of $250-500

Yeah usually you can find some around the $500 range.
I found one for $100 once, but within a few hours someone grabbed it before I could.
Not sure if your into fabbing, but possibly fab up your own trailer?
I would love to build something like this but with a hard base so I could incorporate a small kitchen and dinette:
You must be registered for see images

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the tent that connects to the jeep and I think it is awesome. My wife and I would sleep in the jeep, and use the tent to change, sit, store gear, etc. I never had a problem with the tent leaking. It really depends on what you are looking for.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a nice tent... This was where i stayed last weekend, nice big tent, only set me back $80, big enough for two queen sized beds, has a closet that pops out in the back, and its tall enough to stand and walk in. Since it was just me i set up my queen sized airbed on one end and the other end i had my cooler, a small table and chairs, fan, lantern, you name it. Went through a heavy downpour one night, so its been weather proven, two inches of rain in less than an hour, only one minor leak at the door flap which i have since fixed with some seam sealer.

I used to own a popup as well, 16ft unit with two queen sized beds, kitchenette, the whole nine yards. Was nice but too much for one person to use. I don't always have the whole family with so it just didnt make sense to have all that.

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a nice tent... This was where i stayed last weekend, nice big tent, only set me back $80, big enough for two queen sized beds, has a closet that pops out in the back, and its tall enough to stand and walk in. Since it was just me i set up my queen sized airbed on one end and the other end i had my cooler, a small table and chairs, fan, lantern, you name it. Went through a heavy downpour one night, so its been weather proven, two inches of rain in less than an hour, only one minor leak at the door flap which i have since fixed with some seam sealer.

I used to own a popup as well, 16ft unit with two queen sized beds, kitchenette, the whole nine yards. Was nice but too much for one person to use. I don't always have the whole family with so it just didnt make sense to have all that.

that looks like the ozark trails tent that wally world sells. what tent is that?

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
What would be the point?
we are talking about the one that connects to the back of the Jeep right?
I just dont see the point
I have 2 tents
1 is a standard "big" tent that sleeps like 8 people but you can stand up in it
made by Colman I think
The other is smaller 2 man tent for back packing
cost way to much but only weighs like 2# or something like that
we bought it years ago when me and my wife had time to go back packing
now I use it when I go off in the Jeep by my self over night

oh the pop up camper will have AC

Ummmm, A/C / Heat... kind of a big deal. How about a stove, running water, toilet/shower (if your nor cheap), Cleaner, storage...No brainer to me. I have been looking for one for a little bit. We have a big tent, can't use it down here unless the weather is just perfect.

My vote is obviously for the pop up.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks like the ozark trails tent that wally world sells. what tent is that?

Yes, exactly what it is.. Good eye.. And its a nice tent. After a weekend with it, friday through sunday, i can't say i found anything i didn't like about it. Easy to setup and pull down.

Only one minor complaint about it, but this is tents in general, the damn things never fit in the bag they came in after use. So i bought this big Jeep branded duffel bag that has the waterproof lining to put the tent, airbed, and all of the accessories in. Nice having it all in one spot anyway.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm, A/C / Heat... kind of a big deal. How about a stove, running water, toilet/shower (if your nor cheap), Cleaner, storage...No brainer to me. I have been looking for one for a little bit. We have a big tent, can't use it down here unless the weather is just perfect.

My vote is obviously for the pop up.

Take it from someone that has owned a popup though, they suck in so many ways also. Canvas rotting and leaking if your not perfect on the maintenance. Winterizing the tanks and such or else you have broken crap in the spring.

A/C and Heat... Well A/C is nice if i'm home, but if i'm going camping thats kind of the point of being out in nature so.. As for heat, blankets, fire, and a woman in bed with you takes care of that... LOL

Running water, toilet, and shower... I haven't been to a campground yet where i couldn't get that there. I had a water spigot ten feet from my tent. Toilets and shower were but a short walk away.

And then there is all the maintenance issues of having any type of camper. Tent is easier in my opinion but to each his own. After having a popup and even an RV in the last five years i like tenting again. Just simple, easy. Toss the bag in the Jeep and hit the road.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After tent camping for many years as a kid we finally got a pop-up. I cant imagine going back to tent camping after camping in the pop-up. It doesnt have the toilet in it, which I wouldnt want in something that small anyway, but it does have a small DC/AC/propane fridge, small sink, a king bed and a queen bed. It also has propane heat, electric heat, and A/C. Makes camping much more enjoyable and easy. We keep everything we would normally take camping in the camper so short of getting food and hooking up the camper, were always ready to go camping. The thing weighs around 3,000lbs, my kj handles it pretty good but it cant get a little slow on the hills. Has electric brakes so stopping is no problem. Ive got OME HD springs and air bags but it still sits down a little in the back. The tongue weight is around 350lbs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
After tent camping for many years as a kid we finally got a pop-up. I cant imagine going back to tent camping after camping in the pop-up. It doesnt have the toilet in it, which I wouldnt want in something that small anyway, but it does have a small DC/AC/propane fridge, small sink, a king bed and a queen bed. It also has propane heat, electric heat, and A/C. Makes camping much more enjoyable and easy. We keep everything we would normally take camping in the camper so short of getting food and hooking up the camper, were always ready to go camping. The thing weighs around 3,000lbs, my kj handles it pretty good but it cant get a little slow on the hills. Has electric brakes so stopping is no problem. Ive got OME HD springs and air bags but it still sits down a little in the back. The tongue weight is around 350lbs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice rigs! Exactly what we are saving for, although I will have a canoe on the top of one of them, my sons loves the canoe. There are a lot for sale, $5000 is the magic number for the ones I like.... Need...more...money...

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a ad on craigslist for a cheap repairable or just old pop-up, and got one reply for an old Coleman. The owner has had it for about 15 years and hasn't moved in a few years and said its all mine for free, and hes got the title ready to sign over for me.
I know it will need tires right away, but bearings/hubs rims and tires will be replaced so I can change the bolt pattern to 5x4.5" and put some matching Icon wheels!
Just goes to show if your patience and willing to put some work into a camper then you can have a get one for cheap.
I should be getting it Wednesday and post some pics of it, once I know what I'm getting myself into.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a ad on craigslist for a cheap repairable or just old pop-up, and got one reply for an old Coleman. The owner has had it for about 15 years and hasn't moved in a few years and said its all mine for free, and hes got the title ready to sign over for me.
I know it will need tires right away, but bearings/hubs rims and tires will be replaced so I can change the bolt pattern to 5x4.5" and put some matching Icon wheels!
Just goes to show if your patience and willing to put some work into a camper then you can have a get one for cheap.
I should be getting it Wednesday and post some pics of it, once I know what I'm getting myself into.

Sounds like a deal! If you can, toss a couple new tires on and inspect the bearings before hauling it home, unless you have a VERY SHORT drive to get it home. Chances are the tires are shot after a few years, unless he had it on jackstands to keep the pressure off the tires and covered them to protect from UV damage. Get it moving and the heat starts to build in those tires and they will fail. The wheel bearings probably have water in them by now also, i've dealt with milky wheel bearing grease on utility trailers and small campers many times.

If nothing else at least buy a spare if it doesn't have a good one on it for the ride home. And if you can pull the grease caps off the wheels and tap in some bearing buddies and pump through about a half tube of grease on each hub while spinning the wheel. Sounds stupid but this is how i have gotten many a used trailer rolling until i could tear them apart and clean and repack or even replace the bearings. Since its an older Coleman, look on the back side of the hub for a grease zerk, some of them actually had one back then.

And if you need any info check out this forum...

http://www.popupportal.com/

Lots of good folks over there, been a member there for years. And post them pics so we can see your new find behind the KJ!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a deal! If you can, toss a couple new tires on and inspect the bearings before hauling it home, unless you have a VERY SHORT drive to get it home. Chances are the tires are shot after a few years, unless he had it on jackstands to keep the pressure off the tires and covered them to protect from UV damage. Get it moving and the heat starts to build in those tires and they will fail. The wheel bearings probably have water in them by now also, i've dealt with milky wheel bearing grease on utility trailers and small campers many times.

If nothing else at least buy a spare if it doesn't have a good one on it for the ride home. And if you can pull the grease caps off the wheels and tap in some bearing buddies and pump through about a half tube of grease on each hub while spinning the wheel. Sounds stupid but this is how i have gotten many a used trailer rolling until i could tear them apart and clean and repack or even replace the bearings. Since its an older Coleman, look on the back side of the hub for a grease zerk, some of them actually had one back then.

And if you need any info check out this forum...

http://www.popupportal.com/

Lots of good folks over there, been a member there for years. And post them pics so we can see your new find behind the KJ!

Thanks for the link, they got lots of good info over there. I actually am borrowing a buddies car trailer to put it on, just to be safe since its a 40 min drive home, all on a decently busy highway, and the last thing I need is a problem, so its better to be safe and not worry about tearing into it till I get home. :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, they got lots of good info over there. I actually am borrowing a buddies car trailer to put it on, just to be safe since its a 40 min drive home, all on a decently busy highway, and the last thing I need is a problem, so its better to be safe and not worry about tearing into it till I get home. :)

Excellent... That makes a worry free haul.

Some day i might submit to another popup.. But if i do its going to be something small and basic. I almost jumped at this little 8ft popup that had a queen bed in the front and just a seating area with a small push out window area in the back. Would have been perfect for me, but they wanted a bit too much for it.

Members online

No members online now.