Jeep miswired from factory!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the premium sound system in my KJ and a while back my front woofers blew. I replaced the head unit and speakers, using the same wires in the door to route sound to the dash tweeters and rear doors.

Well, I was not really happy with the sound after a while and decided to put everything back stock until I thought this out again thoroughly. Plus I got the speaker repair kit and fixed my woofers.

I put everything back in and I could not get sound to my right dash tweeter and it was kicking my but for a few days.

There are 2 tan and black striped wires in the front door connectors, one of those has a straight stripe and one has a spiral stripe. I got those mixed up and it fixed the problem.

BUT - what threw me was that the wires going to each speaker location are usually twisted together to reduce crosstalk between the wires. I assumed the tan/black wire that was twisted with the orange/red went to the dash as it should have been.

Wrong! Someone at the factory twisted the wrong wires together. After consulting my notes (when I started snipping wires to begin with) and checking the left door connector I realized what happened.

It's always good to take notes when you start something like this!

Latest posts

Members online