Jeep Liberty Spare Tire Carrier Bracket studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are these pressed in or screwed into the bracket any ideas?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holes in the bracket are larger than the studs/bolts. There's a plastic "protector" that goes between the brackets and the body. IIRC, the holes in the plastic pieces are a little smaller than the bolts and will hold them in place.

The bolts will just slip through the brackets though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
are these pressed in or screwed into the bracket any ideas?

Remove the tire carrier, 4 nuts holding it on.
Then you'll see 4 studs sticking out, those can be removed as well leaving only 4 nutzerts in the body.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do the backs look like? If they look like a wheel stud then likely pressed in. I'd almost expect them to be welded for some reason.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd just hit a local junk yard , wouldn't be that much for one.
If you were closer I think I have 3 at least maybe 4 down in the shed

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tire carrier is what im talking about it has 3 bolts comming out of it,it holds the spare tire on, 2 are broke off do they press out.

2004 JEEP LIBERTY SPARE WHEEL TIRE CARRIER | eBay

The studs that hold the wheel to the carrier are pressed through a plate and tack welded to the plate. The plate is spot welded to the carrier itself on the backside.

Look at the pic you linked with the angle shot, inside the hole in the center, you can see the outer main carrier, then another plate on the back. The one on the back is the one that has the studs pressed then welded to it, and it is welded to the carrier.

I believe that each stud has 3 tack welds, and the plate has 4 spot welds.

Last edited:

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so either buy a different one or maybe drill them out and use a couple bolts to replace them.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
A side note: Will the spare tire carrier from a Wrangler match the mounting studs? I've changed my wheels to a wheel with a 5x5" lug pattern and the spare won't mount on the tire carrier unless I want to buy another wheel adapter (5x4.5" to 5x5"). I would rather add on a spire tire carrier already set up to hold a 5x5" and possibly the third brake light from a Wrangler.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A side note: Will the spare tire carrier from a Wrangler match the mounting studs? I've changed my wheels to a wheel with a 5x5" lug pattern and the spare won't mount on the tire carrier unless I want to buy another wheel adapter (5x4.5" to 5x5"). I would rather add on a spire tire carrier already set up to hold a 5x5" and possibly the third brake light from a Wrangler.

No won't be a direct fit.
I've seen some mention that the tramp stamps for JKs will not bolt to a KJ and they had to drill holes in the TS