Jeep Liberty 2004 2.8CRD Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dewo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning people! I have a slight/major problem depending on what's wrong.

I got into my jeep last night, going from P to D there was a big "clunk" sound, same when I went to R.

Went for a drive, it gears up till 3rd and there it stops :wtf2:
I've also noticed when I press the O/D button on the gear-lever, nothing happens, I don't get the O/D-off illumination on the dash like I usually do.

I did check the transmission fluid level for correct level and it was fine, color still red and no burning smell.

Something new I've also noticed was a whining sound coming from the transmission pan while idling, which I haven't heard before.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'll take it for diagnostics tomorrow and see if they can pick something up. (I did try the key on off switch sequence, but didn't find any codes)

I have 172,000KM on my jeep and far as I know it's the 545RFE Transmission, It is due for a transmission service also.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should only be a 45RFE, as far as I know KJ's never get the extra overdrive gear. Sounds like you've lost overdrive...post any codes you get with a scanner.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The diesels did get the 545rfe. Not sure about all of them but I know some did. That whining sound is not a good thing. As you said, sounds like time for a shop to scan it and find out what went bad. Did they find anything?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on my build sheet: 2.8LTD Eng(ENR)/5Spd A/T 545RFE(DGQ)

The diesels did get the 545rfe. Not sure about all of them but I know some did. That whining sound is not a good thing. As you said, sounds like time for a shop to scan it and find out what went bad. Did they find anything?

No shit, learn something new every day lol. Luckily it's a plentiful trans if you need one. You should have p0700 (general trans fault), then some other p07XX codes for specifics. Worst case scenario you run into the same issue the Rams get (loss of 4th and 5th) and you need a rebuild or replacement.

dewo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed-EATX

Found the problem, one of my fuses poped, and guess what's it called "eatx" (electronic transmission control module (EATX) or the Aisin transmission controller)

Replaced the fuse and all was good again, went for a drive shifted smoothly through all gears, no problems at all.

I would recommend anyone having the same problems to start here, it could save you a lot of money. Transmission and diff centre wanted to replace my transmission solenoid pack

Attachments

• IMG_20160315_061405.JPG
    IMG_20160315_061405.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160315_062024.JPG
    IMG_20160315_062024.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160315_062048.JPG
    IMG_20160315_062048.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 11