Jeep Grille Inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been done before by a number of people, but I thought I'd get around to posting mine.

I had spent some time considering the grill inserts done by many others here and was torn between putting the grill inserts behind the plastic ribs or in front. In front seemed to show more boldly, but on close inspection, you could see the irregular edges of the expanded wire inserts. I chose behind.

I painted mine yellow and so far, I'm happy with them:

Attachments

• DSC00997.jpg
    DSC00997.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01055.JPG
    DSC01055.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01056.JPG
    DSC01056.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01057.jpg
    DSC01057.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 65

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great jnaut! I went with the behind method too but painted mine black.

Thanks, 501. I forgot about this little project I've been futsing around with. Check it:

Attachments

• DSC01063.JPG
    DSC01063.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 73

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liike 'em behind, looks good. I would like to do that too, painted black though. 501, do you have any pics of yours?

Edit: Nevermind, found them on your Cardomain page, looks good!

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how'd you do that?

Cold cathode tubes for a PC (computer). All of those bling PC accessories are 12v. I put in two blue CCFL's under the grille and wire-tied them to the existing electrical wires running along the top of the grille (presumably headlights). I don't have a permanent wiring set up yet.

I weather hardened them as they're not really intended to be out in the elements. So I put silicon around all seams and ends of the light tubes, and siliconed the connections to the ballast which sits on top of the plastic radiator cowling just under the hood. I've got a switch inside the cab which turns them on or off. They're not tied to any other lighting system, ie they can be turned on and off without the key or any other system being turned on first.

I don't know how they'll hold up to the elements over time, so this will be an interesting experiment. The advantage is that if they do fail, they've very cheap to replace. About $6 to $12 for a pair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks wild jnaut! Hope it holds up.

Here's mine:
You must be registered for see images
before the lightbar went on.

Mr_Ras

Reaction score
that grille insert is the most unique thing. I've been thinking about them
for a few weeks now and good thing I held off on getting them when I can just
customize it myself! the color is perfect!

Mr_Ras

Reaction score
Yup, I had to get it! it was so easy to do. The hardest thing was to wait
for the paint to dry!

Attachments

• 102_0111.jpg
    102_0111.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 35

Mr_Ras

Reaction score
thanks again 501! I'm very happy with it! thanks for this forum, I've learned
a lot in what exactly to get for the KJ now that I got one and it's FUN!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your welcome Mr_Ras!

Look in the How-to section, there's a bunch of east to do, useful tips there. I built the rear cargo shelf and it really comes in handy and gives you a place, like a trunk, to put things that you don't want others to see.

sp3ct3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold cathode tubes for a PC (computer). All of those bling PC accessories are 12v. I put in two blue CCFL's under the grille and wire-tied them to the existing electrical wires running along the top of the grille (presumably headlights). I don't have a permanent wiring set up yet.

I weather hardened them as they're not really intended to be out in the elements. So I put silicon around all seams and ends of the light tubes, and siliconed the connections to the ballast which sits on top of the plastic radiator cowling just under the hood. I've got a switch inside the cab which turns them on or off. They're not tied to any other lighting system, ie they can be turned on and off without the key or any other system being turned on first.

I don't know how they'll hold up to the elements over time, so this will be an interesting experiment. The advantage is that if they do fail, they've very cheap to replace. About $6 to $12 for a pair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

I have some of those on my PC =D
I'm quite the geek, so my PC case is thoroughly pimped =p

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are blue lights legal? Ive got a 12" blue cath sitting around and but Im not sure if I like the light behind the grill.

Ive also got my puter all lit up. That was my hobby before the Jeep was around. :)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are blue lights legal? Ive got a 12" blue cath sitting around and but Im not sure if I like the light behind the grill.

Nope. I know in AZ, they are very very strict on not having blue lighting on the vehicle or any forward-facing red lights. I think that law applies nationwide too.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ive also got my puter all lit up. That was my hobby before the Jeep was around. :)

More than likely not. DOT rules are pretty strict these days when it comes to custom lighting. Some states and locales even outlaw the undercarriage cathodes (StreetGlow being one brand). I rarely turn them on, and I've discovered that the 12" PC tubes I placed in my grille are actually difficult to see when the headlights are turned on and there's a lot of other ambient light. So ultimately, they're going to be most effective sitting in a parking lot at night with just the marker lights on-- maybe driving at dusk with only the marker lights on: driver beware of possible ticket when on the road.

I'm kind of a big fan of custom lighting and I would pretty much do whatever I want-- but just not have it running when doing normal road driving. Just turn on the accessories when parked for show.