JBA UCA 4.5 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
We can't ... he has the JBA adjust-a-thingy-ma-bob :D

All we can do is beat it into submission ... :happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He does? When did they start making them with black springs and yellow shocks?

No, Luke was referring to TomMudd's KJ - he has the JBA adjustable coilovers.

Wheeee32, do you have the Frankenlift? If so yours is a bit higher thanks to the Franky parts. Luke is right, beat on it offroad to break things in and it will settle just a bit.

If you don't have the Franky...Do you have a spacer on to of the shock tower? Do you have conduit nuts on the bottom of the shock (clevis lift)? If you have three in there you can take a couple of them out and that will drop it 1/2". Remember, you'll need an alignment then.

For a_ibrahem, that suggestion goes for your your KJ as well. The JBA arms are supposed to eliminate contact with the springs - but if you're too high then they will still hit. Not good.

Describe your lift setup for us. We can see the OME springs and Bilstein shocks; what spacer do you have on the top of the shocks? How many conduit nuts on the bottom of the shock? What do you measure from the center of the hub to the bottom edge of the flare?

Bob

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh okay. I thought there was some mundane detail I was missing. Yes I do have the Franky. Guess I need to go beat on the suspension a bit next weekend.:peace:

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:ban:
No, Luke was referring to TomMudd's KJ - he has the JBA adjustable coilovers.

Wheeee32, do you have the Frankenlift? If so yours is a bit higher thanks to the Franky parts. Luke is right, beat on it offroad to break things in and it will settle just a bit.

If you don't have the Franky...Do you have a spacer on to of the shock tower? Do you have conduit nuts on the bottom of the shock (clevis lift)? If you have three in there you can take a couple of them out and that will drop it 1/2". Remember, you'll need an alignment then.

For a_ibrahem, that suggestion goes for your your KJ as well. The JBA arms are supposed to eliminate contact with the springs - but if you're too high then they will still hit. Not good.

Describe your lift setup for us. We can see the OME springs and Bilstein shocks; what spacer do you have on the top of the shocks? How many conduit nuts on the bottom of the shock? What do you measure from the center of the hub to the bottom edge of the flare?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have OME HD complete setup coils and shocks with 20,000 KM on them now ,and yes I have long bump stop and its touching the UCA when traveling up.

I have no spacers on top, just 7 mm ring bottom of the shock, but I had the same issue before installing it also (didn't do allighnment after installing it)

It sets now on 21 inch four corners.

Appreciate you advise

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:ban:

Hi Bob,

I have OME HD complete setup coils and shocks with 20,000 KM on them now ,and yes I have long bump stop and its touching the UCA when traveling up.

I have no spacers on top, just 7 mm ring bottom of the shock, but I had the same issue before installing it also (didn't do allighnment after installing it)

It sets now on 21 inch four corners.

Appreciate you advise

Should always do an alignment ANYTIME you change anything on the suspension. there is one issue there. If you are only at 21 inches then something else is wrong since that kind of contact is usually only found when you lift too high

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should always do an alignment ANYTIME you change anything on the suspension. there is one issue there. If you are only at 21 inches then something else is wrong since that kind of contact is usually only found when you lift too high

Yeah I should do alignment I know ,just didn't have enough time plus not easy to find someone know what he is doing over here specially with lifted jeeps

I agree with you 21 inch is not that high ,but what could be wrong ?

I mean what are the possibilities ?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually think it being out of alignment could be part of, if not the issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree if its out far enough it could possibly sit the entire assembly in somewhat

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually think it being out of alignment could be part of, if not the issue.

Agree if its out far enough it could possibly sit the entire assembly in somewhat

Hello Experts,

thank you for your inputs,
the jeep drives fine and straight on high way that's why i thought alignment is ok.

also i wana know ,in the alignment the springs can move closer or away from UCA ?

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have done alignment already ,again camber and toe are ok caster is on max adjust and out of range ,but mechanic says it looks fine ,

still have the same issue,
i was thinking to use some rubber stopper under the UCA (where the two bushings are fixed) so it stop the UCA from traveling down that much and hit the spring.

any ideas ?

BR,
Ahmed

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
also i wana know ,in the alignment the springs can move closer or away from UCA ?

Yes moving the LCA (during alignment) will change the relative position of the spring. Whether it is enough to solve your problem... :shrug:

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes moving the LCA (during alignment) will change the relative position of the spring. Whether it is enough to solve your problem... :shrug:

Hello Luke ,

correct that what i was also thinking ,but i doesn't move it enough to be away from spring ,i explained the to alignment guy and he moved LCA to max away from spring and it still touch it .

it only happens when i go over a peed bump or offroading in desert and car kinda jump a bit so the wheels will go to max down away from fenders ,then the UCA touches the springs down side.

any way to limit this traveling ?

BR,
Ahmed

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You can't alter the LCA too much because your affecting the camber.

I think I may understand your complaint now... if it only happens in extreme situations. I don't see any way around it.
When you raise your KJ up on the hoist/jack the UCA is going to hit the spring. The same thing will happen to varying degrees when your front wheels come off the ground after cresting a sand dune. :shrug:

However, there are others on here with way more suspension expertise, hopefully they will think of something. :D

gmusso

Reaction score
When installing the jba 4.5’s, is there any trimming that needs to be done to the pockets? Don’t seem to have a lot of travel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When installing the jba 4.5’s, is there any trimming that needs to be done to the pockets? Don’t seem to have a lot of travel.
No,
The JBA UCAs will self clearance,
If you remove any out of the pocket it will let the front droop down too far and cause issues
In the beginning years ago we did and then found out there was no need to