JBA UCA 4.5 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any links or could do a step by step install of the Upper Control arms from JBA.

I was having a look yesterday, familiarizing myself for the install, and i cant see how your supposed to get the stock ones off, then install the new ones. It looks like there is absolutely no way to get a socket/ratchet in there, what am i missing?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver's side was a little more difficult but with the tool selection I had at my disposal it was just finding the right extension to get to the bolts. The passenger side is pretty easy when you have the air box out of the way. I'll see if I can find a how-to for it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not hard at all
passenger side remove air box and right there you are, 20 minutes maybe
left side remove battery/ tray etc and front is easy as heck, rear takes a good tight swivel and a couple of extensions is all. Takes a little longer to do but not much . One hour if you take your time for both

No how to needed , its all right there !
Oh and one whack of a 3 lb to knock the ball joint loose

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom nailed it. Once you have all the crap out of the way they are pretty easy to do. Oh and don't torque the hex nuts until you have weight on them.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, so it seems i was looking at the completely wrong space. Looking at the pockets from behind the wheel, that's not where you take them off, but actually through the engine compartment, correct?

I have to add, this site has got to be the most valuable place for any liberty owner to be associated with, if it wasn't for you guys I would not want to attempt any of this stuff. Any problem i have with the Jeep, i just do a quick search around here and problem solved. I have people around here (Vancouver) telling me to do this and that as far as repairs go, talking from experience with their Jeeps (None KJ's) and often find they are completely wrong and have no idea what goes on with a Libby. Really appreciate everyones input, you guys are awesome!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
oh, so it seems i was looking at the completely wrong space. Looking at the pockets from behind the wheel, that's not where you take them off, but actually through the engine compartment, correct?

lol ... no wonder you were confused ... I'm thinkin' to myself, I pm'd the poor guy the other day? :happy175:

P.S. you will get instructions with your UCA's as well ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes in the engine compartment
You can see both bolts on the right side pretty easy , that will get you started
Lots of folks will give you advice but like you said have never worked on a KJ. There are some things that are totally different when it comes to these gems.
One other thing of course wheel must be off to make it easier
Up on jack stands
jack under the LCA that you are working on
remove the ball joint nut, take it all the way off, then re install it about 4 - 5 turns , now give it a good whack to knock it loose
Upon reinstall you may have to pry down on the UCA to get the nut on.
and like mentioned above do not torque them until full weight is on the ground ( wheels on) and bounced a few times by hand

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your an 06 or 07 your going to have all the ESP stuff in the way on the driver side even after you take out the battery tray. You will need about a foot to 14 inches of extensions to get at that bolt for the rear a arm pocket.

If your unsure what to connect to start with the passenger side to get a good look. Everybody else covered the rest.

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello guys,

How offten we need to put grease in the JBA 4.5 balljoints ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hello guys,

How offten we need to put grease in the JBA 4.5 balljoints ?

A lot depends on where and how you use yours
Lots of water crossing, lots of mud/sand etcthat may work up in then more often
only driving around town every 3000 miles or so

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello experts,

Was just pumping in some grease today un the JBA 4.5 ball joints and saw one side rubber boot already cracked and leaking the grease badly

Am surprised its installed 2-3 month back, with 5 desert trips only

Any chance to get rubber boots only some where ?
Can I claim anything to JBA ?

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more issue,

Something is touching the coils some times and makes a bang ,specially on speed bumps, don't know how is this happening ,could it be the UCA ??

you can see in below photos ,and in one side you can see the torn rubber boot

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

its hitting in the 3rd and 4th coils of the springs.

if its not the UCA then what could it be and how to fix this ??

appreciate your response guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have it set up too high, lower it back down and it won't hit.
The UCA is hitting the springs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sitting too high so no downward travel to speak of , doubt if he would ever hit bumpstops at that height . needs to lower at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch

Latest posts

Members online