Jack Handle suggestions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some time this morning and went looking for the jack to acquaint myself with where and how it is mounted, so I did not have to learn this in the dark, by the side of the road. I am glad I did, as while I found the jack - I did NOT find the lug wrench and jack handle. The lug wrench is easily replaced by a trip to Harbor Freight. My quandary is the jack handle. In the Liberty it is a three piece affair with a hook on one end and a handle on the other. A quick check of the local salvage yards shows they want a tremendous amount for the entire assembly - upwards of $90 - and will not separate the handle (I don't blame them). So short of rummaging around in the yards, does anyone have an idea of what I can use to replace the jack handle?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck for 17.63 you can buy a scissor jack from Sears
The Black Bull One Ton Scissor Car Jack is ideal to have on hand for emergency roadside tire changes. It weighs only 6 pounds, so it is lightweight and easy to lift in and out of the trunk of the car. The cranking handle makes raising the jack easy when you position the jack under the load. With a lifting height of 3.5 to 12 inches, the Scissor Car Jack can stabilize or lift most cars, trucks, SUVs, trailers or RVs.

OR

for 29.99
Black Bull 8 Ton Hydraulic Bottle Jack per EA
With an 8 Ton lifting capacity, this Bottle Jack can lift loads weighting up to 16,000 lbs. Change the tires on cars, trucks, and trailers or make repairs to your tractor, combine or hay baler. Small, portable and reliable, this is a great jack to keep nearby for emergency repairs.

A cast iron base bears the load and a cleated non-slip lift cap keeps it stable. The hydraulic bypass prevents ram over travel and prevents damage to the Jack. The pump cartridge is replaceable, so you don't have to replace the entire jack when the hydraulic has been exhausted.

With a lift range of 8 to 13.25 inches (with the screw lift fully extended), the Black Bull Bottle Jack can get the heaviest of loads into the air and out of the way so you can make the repair and move on to other projects.

Just a couple of examples of cheaper alternatives ( looking at ones that can lift more than 4-5 inches )

OR another possibility is Craigslist is full of KJs that are being parted out

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The stock OEM Jeep scissor jack can bend like a pretzel, even slightly off level and not tall at all.
The best scissor jacks came off the ole GM pick ups. Thick steel, tall lift, & a real bearing end,
They came with a longer handle & extension and hook design as well.
I got the complete GM one from wreckers for Edit: $30 to $50 can't remember now.
54449[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

54451[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• ScissorJackGMC.jpg
    ScissorJackGMC.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ScissorJackGMC2.jpg
    ScissorJackGMC2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Good info.

Also, you didn't say what year your KJ is. The 02 came with an OEM bottle jack (possibly some early 03's too?) and then some 03's and all 04 to 07 had a OEM scissor jack. Just some general info if you are looking in salvage yards and either will work of course. (if you are lifted you might need a taller one like tommudd said and TC showed in his pic.

Dave

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jack handle in these also functioned as the lug wrench. I believe I have these bars which i would be willing to part with for just shipping. PM me and I'll take a look later.

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Good info.

Also, you didn't say what year your KJ is. The 02 came with an OEM bottle jack (possibly some early 03's too?) and then some 03's and all 04 to 07 had a OEM scissor jack. Just some general info if you are looking in salvage yards and either will work of course. (if you are lifted you might need a taller one like tommudd said and TC showed in his pic. Dave

It is a 2003 and is a scissor jack. Looks like it was never used And nope - not lifted.

The jack handle in these also functioned as the lug wrench. I believe I have these bars which i would be willing to part with for just shipping. PM me and I'll take a look later.

Yup - that is what I need. I sent a PM.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A "Pay It Forward" sticky would be nice here for this sort of thing.

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tho I am kinda leaning toward one of these;

Bob

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find your post inappropriate and not funny.
I joined this forum to learn about my Jeep, not be insulted by a someone who cohabits with swine.

Goodbye

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:shrug:First Kaintuck I've bumped into without a sense of humor. :shrug:

Bob

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 2003 and is a scissor jack. Looks like it was never used And nope - not lifted.

Yup - that is what I need. I sent a PM.

If that doesnt work out I have the complete scissor jack with carrier out of an 03 you can have for cost of shipping. I got lucky at the salvage yard and found the complete bottle jack set. I bought a good many other things and the guy gave me the jack.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that doesnt work out I have the complete scissor jack with carrier out of an 03 you can have for cost of shipping. I got lucky at the salvage yard and found the complete bottle jack set. I bought a good many other things and the guy gave me the jack.

Clint - Tried to PM you. I would go for this. The handles with my assembly aren't in the best of shape (I believe I've used one as a pry bar/extension). Plus I can only find ONE of the handles extensions thus far. I can still send pictures of the stuff when i find the assembly...

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tho I am kinda leaning toward one of these;

Bob

Could you even use a high lift jack with factory Liberty bumpers? I still use mine on Ford PUs - but the lift points on the front is the D hooks.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you even use a high lift jack with factory Liberty bumpers? I still use mine on Ford PUs - but the lift points on the front is the D hooks.
No. You need either the tire lifter or rock rails/new bumpers.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No. Rock slider/rails I'm working on during spare time would work with a HandyMan. Bumpers are somewhere in the future also.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X3^ The Handyman/Hi-Lift jacks are almost a necessity off road.
They can be used as a come along if you have no winch, and can get ya out of a bad situation.
With no bumpers or rails, you can get a strap set up like this, to lift the Jeep.
54476[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Hi%20Lift%20Tire%20Strap.jpg
    Hi%20Lift%20Tire%20Strap.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3^ The Handyman/Hi-Lift jacks are almost a necessity off road.
They can be used as a come along if you have no winch, and can get ya out of a bad situation.
With no bumpers or rails, you can get a strap set up like this, to lift the Jeep.
54478[/ATTACH]"]

Now that would work for me until bumpers/rock rails.

Attachments

• Hi%20Lift%20Tire%20Strap.jpg
    Hi%20Lift%20Tire%20Strap.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0