I've got a pretty serious vibe!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leerdmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2006 Liberty with the 3.7 V6. It has 49,*** miles, and it is a 2wd. It just aquired a vibration whenever I turn on the a/c. I haven't had the time to look hard. Is there a second fan that kicks in with the a/c? It seems that the vibe is coming from the fan area. The heater doesn't make this happen, nor does the vent, just the a/c. And the a/c is working fine, except the vibes. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fan engages based on temp, the clutch assembly will make it spin once it gets hot enough under the hood. The electric fan goes to high speed and stays on when the A/C is turned on regardless of engine temp. I would unplug the electric fan and then start up and turn on the A/C and see if the vibe goes away. If it does you either have a loose electric fan, make sure the mounting bolts are tight, or the fan is screwed and starting to rattle at high speed.

Troubleshoot it by disconnecting the electric fan, or even just pull the relay for it in the underhood fuse/relay panel.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fan spins all the time. The clutch merely regulates the fan speed in relation to the engine speed. The electric fan will come on at predetermined temperatures or whenever the A/C is on.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 with the tow package.

I had this issue - the electric fan will kick on when the A/C is turned on. I had them replace the electric fan under warranty. I went offroading in muddy conditions once and it must have gotten enough in there to throw it off balance. I cleaned it, but it still vibrated pretty bad.

I'd try to unplug the harness on the electric fan shroud, on the passenger side. It's near the top of the shroud. Kick on the A/C and see if they vibration is gone. If it is, it's your electric fan. I left mine disconnected for a while and just ran the mechanical fan until I could get it repaired.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fan spins all the time. The clutch merely regulates the fan speed in relation to the engine speed. The electric fan will come on at predetermined temperatures or whenever the A/C is on.

mine doesnt have a mechanical fan! i only have 1 fan inside the engine bay and it is electric. am i not looking in the right spot or am i just missing mine?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense Tony, from a disclaimer standpoint. If you unplug anything on your vehicle, it's at your own risk. I'll just say that I watch my temp gauge and I, personally, had no issue running A/C with only the mechanical fan. Your results may vary ;)

kbooneKJ - I have the tow package option, therefore, I have mechanical and electric fan. In a non-tow-page KJ, I believe it's electric fan only (or is it mechanical only?) Either way, I think there's only 1 fan in a non-tow-package vehicle.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was kind of my thought Tony, but then I was second guessing myself as to if non-tow-package KJ's had an electric or mechanical fan. I was thinking they only had an electric, in which your arguement holds true.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ohh, my bad, i thought the KJ had the thermal clutch on the fan like the Dodge vehicles with the 3.7, a neighbor of mine called me over one day in the winter to ask why his fan wasn't spinning when he started it up after checking fluids, turns out it didn't start to spin until the temp came up. We looked it up in his manual, thermal clutch.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you don't have the tow package then you just have the electric fan. The mechanical fan is part of the HD Cooling package thats included with the tow package. It's in the service manual as well.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you don't have the tow package then you just have the electric fan. The mechanical fan is part of the HD Cooling package thats included with the tow package. It's in the service manual as well.

that seems more right then, i bought it without the towing package so it came with just an electric fan. Last year i had the stealership put in a towing package, should they have added the machanical fan, or will i be fine without it?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they added the full towing package i think they should have added the mechanical fan, but its more than just the fan, its a different fan shroud too. As long as they didn't charge you for it no sweat. If your not going to be towing a lot of heavy loads i wouldn't worry about it, just depends on what your going to be towing.

leerdmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!!! For now, I have my auxilary fan disconnected. I am not towing anything, but I am in Florida in the summer heat, so I need a/c. Thanks for all your help guys.

leerdmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe it

Even though I bought my Liberty used, out of warranty, at a Kia store, and didn't purchase any extended warranty, the dealership is covering the repairs(dropmouth). New fan, and all the labor. I asked them to, didn't expect them to, and they are going to. Parts are on order now. Thanks for all the help guys.(rotflmao)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kb0nly Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightLiberty

Ohh, my bad, i thought the KJ had the thermal clutch on the fan like the Dodge vehicles with the 3.7, a neighbor of mine called me over one day in the winter to ask why his fan wasn't spinning when he started it up after checking fluids, turns out it didn't start to spin until the temp came up. We looked it up in his manual, thermal clutch.
The KJ's(if so equipped) mechanical fan is a thermo activated(clutch fan) fan,it will spin all the time though just not at the same speed as the waterpump pully is turning until it get's to that pre-set temp and locks the clutch up.

A gas KJ(2.4 and 3.7) gets the electric fan only as standard.

A gas KJ(3.7 only) get's the added mechanical fan with HD cooling(tow and/or offroad package) to help the electric fan.

A CRD(2.8) gets both the electric and mechanical fan as standard equipment.The 2.5 CRD it's a crapshoot at what you get.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I bought my Liberty used, out of warranty, at a Kia store, and didn't purchase any extended warranty, the dealership is covering the repairs(dropmouth). New fan, and all the labor. I asked them to, didn't expect them to, and they are going to. Parts are on order now. Thanks for all the help guys.(rotflmao)

That's awesome, great guys at that dealership!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ's(if so equipped) mechanical fan is a thermo activated(clutch fan) fan,it will spin all the time though just not at the same speed as the waterpump pully is turning until it get's to that pre-set temp and locks the clutch up.

A gas KJ(2.4 and 3.7) gets the electric fan only as standard.

A gas KJ(3.7 only) get's the added mechanical fan with HD cooling(tow and/or offroad package) to help the electric fan.

A CRD(2.8) gets both the electric and mechanical fan as standard equipment.The 2.5 CRD it's a crapshoot at what you get.

Ok, so it does turn but it locks up at full temp. I have seen a few Dodge's now that the fan doesn't turn at startup if your sitting still, i imagine the fan starts to move when the engine speed comes up or you get moving and airflow through the grill gets it moving, etc.. Or maybe they are just worn more and the clutch is loose on them, i don't know for sure. But thanks for clearing that up!

Latest posts

Members online