I've got a Liberty for the next 2 1/2 weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My JK told me that it feels like staying home this time when I head back up to school, so my father is letting me hijack his KJ until I come home again in a few weeks. The ride to and from Ottawa is going to be a hell of a lot better in the KJ than it was in my JK, so that's a plus. I'm going to miss my iPod input though. Not going to be doing much driving while I'm there anyway, just the to and from. Gotta love comfy and quiet rides.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are you wishing you had gotten a KJ or KK instead of the JK?

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are you wishing you had gotten a KJ or KK instead of the JK?

A wee bit sad2.gif . I'm more wishing that I hadn't sold my last car for the JK. I love the jeep community, but to be 100% honest, I'm not all that happy with the JK when it's not on the dirt and rocks.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A wee bit sad2.gif . I'm more wishing that I hadn't sold my last car for the JK. I love the jeep community, but to be 100% honest, I'm not all that happy with the JK when it's not on the dirt and rocks.

The JK is made more for offroad (sfa etc) and the KJ is made more for on road (ifs and more comphy stuff) but still pretty capable offroad. KJ should ride the pavement better.

I will get to try out a JK soon to compare. If I had one (I like the 2 door) and the top would be off all summer for sure and it would just stay in the garage at night. But I do not want to give up the KJ.

Dave

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The JK is made more for offroad (sfa etc) and the KJ is made more for on road (ifs and more comphy stuff) but still pretty capable offroad. KJ should ride the pavement better.

I will get to try out a JK soon to compare. If I had one (I like the 2 door) and the top would be off all summer for sure and it would just stay in the garage at night. But I do not want to give up the KJ.

Dave

My top would come off, but I'm in the city and I trust these people as far as I can throw them. We had the top and doors off a few weeks ago, and nobody touched anything, but the air quality here is so pi$$-poor that it was more unpleasant to have them off. So what do I do? I commute on my skates instead smashfreakB.gif .
I'm well aware that the JK is more for offroad and the KJ is vice-versa, I just don't get to spend as much time offroad as I was planning on- hence the missing my car. I've got the 2 door, it's great-if you have something else to drive on a daily basis, I'm just not happy with it as a daily driver, I'd rather have a car for that. But for hauling off and going jeep-camping, it's great- but keep your KJ to drive to work/the store/long trips/daily.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you not like it as a DD?

I like my KJ.. I smile everytime I see it.. lol

Loud cabin - mostly airflow, I had "treaded" tires on my last car and they were loud as hell...the MT/Rs are quiet by comparison. This issue is much diminished by putting the hardtop on.

Shamelessly horrible handling - I'm getting used to having to steer to drive straight...

Harsh ride - I don't know if harsh is so much the word as it is....stiff... I drove over the same speed bump today that I do everyday and barely felt it in the KJ, in my JK I'm damn near ejected from the vehicle.

Power - I miss my turbo sad2.gif .

Mileage - 'tis a jeep, 'nuff said. At least it takes regular, so I'm still paying about the same in fuel costs.

It's a great vehicle, don't get me wrong...just not as a DD. I don't mind the seating at all, it's damn comfy if you ask me - it's just the things I mentioned above kinda irk me :eek: . If I had a spare $11k, I'd buy my old car back, and keep my JK too. Hmm....I've got this extra kidney....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the ride of the wranglers. Ive ridden in both a YJ and a TJ and I didnt mind it at all, but like Ive said, my liberty felt great when I got back into it. I guess it could get old if it was a daily driver..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snowgod, have you ever driven a TJ? I'm curious how you think the TJ compared to your JK on pavement.

I guess I'm twisting your thread around. Hope you don't mind.

Dave

Last edited:

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowgod, have you ever driven a TJ? I'm curious how you think the TJ compared to your JK on pavement.

Dave

I test drove a TJ back in 2004- the JK rides a WHOLE lot better...hence why I didn't have a wrangler until the JK arrived.

The ride was fine at first, but it got old in about 4 months. I'm considering getting insurance on our other car and driving that for daily use...cadillacs are good for DD duty :p .

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I test drove a TJ back in 2004- the JK rides a WHOLE lot better...hence why I didn't have a wrangler until the JK arrived.

The ride was fine at first, but it got old in about 4 months. I'm considering getting insurance on our other car and driving that for daily use...cadillacs are good for DD duty :p .

Ok - thanks. I was curious about the TJ JK comparison.

I won't need to ask how the caddy drives....haha

Dave

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excitement!

My other half gave me the OK to trade my JK for one of the new '08 9-3's coming out later this year! To hell with my '04...

Anyone wanna buy a SWB JK Rubicon? Sirius, Side airbags, netting...rubicon.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get OT, but I cannot stand how caddies ride. I cant stand that floating feeling you get. My mothers jeep rides better than a caddie but its still to soft. I wouldnt give the ride that my liberty has with the current suspension set-up for anything.. :D

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get OT, but I cannot stand how caddies ride. I cant stand that floating feeling you get. My mothers jeep rides better than a caddie but its still to soft. I wouldnt give the ride that my liberty has with the current suspension set-up for anything.. :D

I agree, but I also have to say that I like the floating caddy better than the tipsy JK...to a point. Today I missed driving the JK (a little bit) because we passed a bunch of trails that may or may not have led to someplace interesting (I could care less about the journey when offroading- it's all about the destination), but it's tough to beat 27mpg on a roadtrip...
Can't wait to get another Saab though...I LOVE the way they ride...it's firm but not overly so. Alot like the KJ actually, but more stable (obviously)...

Back to the cadillac float...
It's eerie how little roadfeel there is, it makes for an interesting driving experience until you get used to it. I'm starting to get used to it (after driving it for a few hundred miles) but the problem is that there is no feedback whatsoever so it's hard to drive anywhere near the limits...the V8 is freaking awesome though. Not from 0-60 acceleration, but passing acceleration is impressive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online