Issue with Bilstein Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renkiew2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to relay an experience I am having with Bilstein. I bought a set of shocks and struts for my 02 Jeep Liberty. After about 2000 miles, both front struts failed, conveniently right after I drove to Chicago for work. I live in NJ. I did no off-roading, just normal driving. The shop that installed the parts is 100% confident they installed them correctly, as they have done 1000s of Liberty struts. I had to go to a Midas shop in Chicago to have Monroe Quick struts installed because my Liberty was barely drivable with no front struts. I contacted Bilstein and their customer service absolutely *****. They expect me to pay to ship the Bilstein struts with springs back to them, so they can determine the problem. Since it is not in my interest to find out what went wrong with their struts, I am not at all interested in spending any more money on Bilstein. I have already spent $1400 on this situation. I will never consider buying from Bilstein again. Hopefully no one else has had any issues, but just a heads up.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And was old springs used on new shocks if you put them on old bag out springs that would kill them also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1400 dollars ?? How ?
OK need more information
lifted or not
miles on the springs if lifted, bumpstops ?
if stock miles on the KJ and are they the stock springs

Lots of things could of been to blame
not saying it was not the shocks but highly unlikely two would go

renkiew2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not lifted and bought the proper struts. They were old springs, but the mechanic assured me they were fine before he installed the struts. Could that really make them fail after just 2000 miles? The OEM struts never failed after almost 140K miles, they were just tired.

renkiew2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1400 dollars ?? How ?
OK need more information
lifted or not
miles on the springs if lifted, bumpstops ?
if stock miles on the KJ and are they the stock springs

Lots of things could of been to blame
not saying it was not the shocks but highly unlikely two would go

Cost of Bilstein struts + installation + Cost of Monroe Quick struts + installation.
Not lifted.
Stock springs on stock suspension with almost 140K miles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not lifted and bought the proper struts. They were old springs, but the mechanic assured me they were fine before he installed the struts. Could that really make them fail after just 2000 miles? The OEM struts never failed after almost 140K miles, they were just tired.

Well there is one problem already
140,000 miles on the springs which meant they were weak as all get out, should of been replaced as well. Weak springs make the shocks work harder and more often. Trust me 140,000 miles yours was sitting at least an inch or more below new stock height and were junk.
If you did not replace the springs I wouldn't warranty them either IMO
Not much of a mechanic if he said those springs were good

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cost of Bilstein struts + installation + Cost of Monroe Quick struts + installation.
Not lifted.
Stock springs on stock suspension with almost 140K miles.
If you paid 1400
well never mind you should already feel it
Quick struts and the Bilstein front shocks would only be 550-600 unless they have a huge markup

renkiew2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that does make sense, I appreciate the input. Why didn't the original shocks fail if the springs were bad? What is the recommended mileage that springs be replaced?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At that mileage your front shocks had to be basically worn out anyways
OEM shocks should be replaced at 40-50,000 or so
springs it all depend on vehicle, if you tow etc but
We all know the KJ springs are weak to begin with.
I've had KJs in here that at 75000 they were sagged over an inch
so yes the springs should of already been replaced
Problem is you get used to the ride over time and don't notice how bad it is actually riding and handling

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No possible way bad springs killed a set of shocks in 2,000 miles. Sure they may have worn out quicker, but not in 2,000 miles.