Is there any real benfit of a spare tire cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New '06 KJ owner... Is there a functional reason to install a spare tire cover, or is it just aesthetic?

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aesthetics espically if it's a snappy looking cover, but really I think it helps keep the tire like new and out of the harmful rays of the sun. I mean why do RV owners cover all their tires while the rig is sitting in the drive way from October-April?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GoldBug said:
... but really I think it helps keep the tire like new and out of the harmful rays of the sun. I mean why do RV owners cover all their tires while the rig is sitting in the drive way from October-April?
Yep, thats the same reason they put covers on the tires of the planes they store at various locations out her in the southwest - UV ***** the life out of rubber. Plus like you said, if you have a cool cover its always best ot put it on (if it fits the tire). Just don't be one of these guys:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Freakin' wannabes...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet the drivers of these "vehicles" own or work for the jeep dealer..

I never understand why workers of one dealer drive another make car.. I was thinking of buying ford escape before liberty (thank god I didn't) and I told the guy I am thinking of this or a jeep, he said "jeeps are nice, I drive a jeep". O:) So, It should be banned or not allowed that if you work for one dealer you cannot drive any other brand..

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire covers are very important for the spare. Two weeks without one here in Arizona and there is already visible damage to the spare. #-o

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough sun up here. I suppose with tyre rotation it shouldn't be a problem.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, it protects the rubber from sun damage as well as wheel corrosion as discussed in other posts.. ie salt etc, slows **** thieves 8 seconds from jacking the locked wheel...

It also entertains or advertizes to the tail gater behind you... and keeps the drag co-efficient to a minimal on the aerodynamics of our KJs O:)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

I never understand why workers of one dealer drive another make car.. I was thinking of buying ford escape before liberty (thank god I didn't) and I told the guy I am thinking of this or a jeep, he said "jeeps are nice, I drive a jeep". O:) So, It should be banned or not allowed that if you work for one dealer you cannot drive any other brand..

My brothers wife drives an escape, we took it offroad once and it was phenomenal. Its a perfect wife vehicle I say.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks neat but doesn't it lack low gear?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
It looks neat but doesn't it lack low gear?

Yep!

But 4lo is so rarely used anyway that its not really necessary; especially since it is not marketed as an offroad vehicle.

To date, I have yet to use my KJ's 4LO for anything throughout all of my trips and mud runs. Its great to know its there when I need it, but I dont really need it for anything. If I ever get to MOAB, I will probably engage it. But I dont have and mountains to climb in michigan.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it snow there? since i park on the street I always use 4LO when I need to park in the snow, where the plower blocked all the spaces.. i love it, people get out of the spot in about 2 hrs, I back up into the space in about 2 minutes (sometimes less) :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot go offroad without using low. Rocks, hills, mud, I use it in all of them. Heats up the ****** to much if I dont. 8-[

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure are hard to get off covered in mud or snow. Always pull mine off when I get the vehicle.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine off recently... as it had mold growing inside. Plus, if you have really nice tires like Revos, show off that spare! (biggrin)

Trip

Reaction score
I pulled mine off to see if it had a steel wheel or alloy under there, and its staying off!........I think it looks much nicer with the alloy rim than that dirty faded cover...and mine stays garaged so it doesnt really take a beating from the elements

KJgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
hyedipin said:

My brothers wife drives an escape, we took it offroad once and it was phenomenal. Its a perfect wife vehicle I say.

And why can't a wife have a Liberty? :-k

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well dirt and debris can get caught in the cover causing damage to the cover as well as to the tire and rim. I keep my cover on however i take mine off ever few washes to keep everything clean and shinny on the spare as well.

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see...your smart...thats what your supposed to do ^^^ :)

every once in a while, take it off, scrub the inside of the cover, rinse it out, let it dry, clean behind the spare tire mount on the tailgate, clean the wheel and tire, and re install the cover

just like bras on the front of a vehicle...i wouldnt wanna go past 2 car washes without taking that off and cleaning under it. i wouldnt use a bra unless i did a ton of highway driving, or if i was going on a long trip.

same as those magnets, like the support out troops, america ribbon magnets, ur supposed to take those off before you wash your car, and clean the magnet then put it back on when ur car is washed.