Intermittent Stalling/Drop in RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 KJ Sport
134k miles
Standard Engine no mods (yet)
Auto Transmission

After pulling from a parking spot and shifting from reverse to drive the RPMs dropped and came "close" to stalling. I attempted to replicate the problem with no results, works fine. Has not happened recently either, first time. Had Solonoid
Pack in trans replaced (temp sensor, Solonoid, etc.) about a year ago after the trans wasn't shifting properly and would stall out the engine when the KJ was brought to a stop. The prior problem is not occurring so that is a plus. I read online that the TPS could be the culprit. Any feedback for me? Thank you.

-J

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way of singling out which problem? I have not notices much difference in the way it drives. It may be a little slow on initial acceleration but it's hard to tell. Gas mileage has gone down but just got new tires recently. They are same size as before but more tread (obviously) and had mount, balance, and alignment with install.

-J

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Ill look at the IAC and clean it up as well. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated.

-J

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPS replaced, no real change noticeable yet. Will have to wait to see if problem replicates or if mileage improves. Throttle response seems the same. The throttle cable is extremely loose while idling... Is that normal?

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to check that on my car. idling is being adjusted by IAC, it is a electic motor with a pin inside throttle body. so no need throttle cable during idle.

Latest posts

Members online