Interesting tire wear... Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been searching around the forum with no luck, but I was looking at my renegade and noticed that my tires are wearing out very unevenly on each side. Over the summer I replaced the front tires. (New ones on rear on moved the rear one up) Today I noticed that the passenger side of the jeep are very worn down in the center, but the left ones look almost new. I recently had an alignment done and the jeep still goes straight as an arrow. I try to maintain even recommended tire pressure as much as possible. If it was the alignment wouldn't the outside or inside of the tire be worn? Not the center? the outside and inside of the tires look great. any ideas?

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming tire pressure is correct? I know that the shoulders of the tire wearing can be incorrect pressure.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too much air pressure, if you have tires that are not factory spec, then the sticker does not apply necessarily.

chalk line accross the tire tread, drive forward a few revolutions. if the center of the chalk wears away, too much pressure, if the edges, then too little.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any recommendations?

Yes! Search forums and the web and buy according to your budget and driving style.Buy either stock tire size or go bigger if it will fit your set up, or be prepared to do what it takes to make them fit. I know this sounds a little snarky but the "which tires should I get" is such a loaded question. There are so many variables and opinions out there. The above statement would be first and foremost, I will now give you my opinion, which may or may not be good for you, but here it is anyway. After I have done research, a popular budget friendly semi aggressive tire are the general grabber at2, I just purchased the good year adventure which are probably a little more street friendly but still an AT, I still have to get them mounted so no personal reviews but others have given good/great reviews so far. I run cooper STT's on my other vehicle and they have not let me down, and would buy again for that vehicle.

Bert

Next.................

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to stick with AT's I would give the General Grabber AT2's a thought, Heard lots of good things and my brother loves his that I recommended to him.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to stick with AT's I would give the General Grabber AT2's a thought, Heard lots of good things and my brother loves his that I recommended to him.

I really like mine. Works well for what I need. I don recommend deep mud or snow in them though.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's your tire pressure being too high. It's unlikely that you'd have to run different air pressure that other tires, but it's not impossible I suppose - just never heard of it.

And you are correct about a bad alignment can/will cause uneven wear. If the top of your tire is tilted inwards, the inner edge of the tire will wear, and vice versa. If your tires are toed in or out it can cause even wear on the tire, but will cause the tire to wear out much faster. Back when I was in college and didn't know a thing about cars I had this old Dodge Daytona that would chew through tires every 20k miles. I refused to pay for an alignment because the car drove straight and braked straight, so I didn't think it was needed. Finally on about my 4th set of tires up front, the guy just put it on the alignment machine and showed me that my toe was way off. Not sure why he did it, I was in there once a year getting new tires before the alignment, the after the alignment I went almost 60k on the new ones.

Members online

No members online now.