Installing new stereo in 2005 Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to replace the stereo (stock Jeep single cd) in my recently aquired Jeep. Last time I did anything with a car stereo it was a under dash 8-track (replacing my old 4-track). Admittedly a couple score years ago...
Looking here in the invaluable forum I find it is a simple matter to source a dash adapter, harness adapter and antenna adapter from just about anywhere Indeed it looks like Walmart has most if not all of the required items. Is it really at easy or am I missing something?
I tried to remove the dash surround plastic by taking out the screw in the cubby next to the lighter and pulling out the plastic frame bu it wasn't budging. Do I really have to just pull out harder? on't nt to break it.
Thanks
Mark

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a plastic putty knife or something like it and stick it in the crack and pop a little of the surround out as you go around.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
x3. I popped mine out to see what would be involved in a replacement stereo and was afraid I might bust something. It actually seems pretty rugged and I had no problems.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOAyzxLg6e4

btw are you tossing your factory head unit?
I'm missing a fader knob. :D

I wont till after xmas (the radio is for my daughter). I didn't think this one had a fader knob. I think fade on this one is a button that does tone, balance and fade on one button. Otherwise I would be glad to save it for you. Post a picture of your radio here and if mine is the same I will send it to you. I think there are several different models.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get a build sheet from Chrysler (free of charge) which will tell you what model radio you have. For instance, my 2007 has an RBKS. :)

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looks like this
Dorman® 586-003 - Jeep Liberty 2002-2004 Remanufactured Radio

the front rear fader knob is missing. it's the same as the left right fader.
Let me know.

Thanks!

That's what I was afraid of when you said fader knob. Mine cycles through fader, balance, treble and bass when you push one button. Completely different than yours. I would give you the whole radio if you like the stock look, but the CD player doesn't eject every time. Probably something simple inside that would be an easy fix if one fired it up without the cover and watch what is stopping it sometimes. But I decided to replace since it's the car my daughter drives and there is no AUX input. Just picked up a replacement from Best Buy for $39.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked one up on eBay with CD and cassette like the above link for under $40. Works perfectly.

The one mine came with matches the OPs description (but works properly).

Latest posts

Members online