Installing an auto dim mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 Rocky Mountain Liberty with an EVIC and TPMS that I installed. I was able to find an auto dim mirror and pigtail from it for a couple of bucks at a junkyard around home. I need to find out how to wire it up. The connector that plugs into the mirror has 3 wires (Solid purple, green & black, and blue & white). Is this something I could just wire into off the wires that go to the evic, or is there another place (map lights, sunroof switch) that I need to connect them to?

:-k

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed an Auto Dim in mine. Its very simple. If you want to make it very easy all you have to do is give it power and a ground. (Power from something that is only on when the car is on.) I used a wire from the radio. The other wire is to disable the Auto Dim in reverse. I didnt use that wire because it really didnt matter to me. But if you want you can connect that wire to your reverse wire in your ECU.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06LibertySSE said:
I installed an Auto Dim in mine. Its very simple. If you want to make it very easy all you have to do is give it power and a ground. (Power from something that is only on when the car is on.) I used a wire from the radio. The other wire is to disable the Auto Dim in reverse. I didnt use that wire because it really didnt matter to me. But if you want you can connect that wire to your reverse wire in your ECU.

Ok, I would think that the ground is green/black? Then which of the other 2 wires is which? As for the power, you're saying to connect it to a fused ignition, right? I know that off the evic connector I have a ground (green/black) and fused ignition (blue/white) according to wjjeeps.com. Do you know where the reverse wire in the ecu is located?

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the FSM you are correct that the grn/blk is ground, unfortunately the 2 other colors do not match, the book says fused ignition is white/black and the backup wires are brown/light green

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the '04 service manual:

1 wt/bk fused ignition output
2 bk/lg ground
3 br/lg back up lamp feed
4 tn/or auto daynight mirror (+)
5 yl/bk auto daynight mirror (-)
6 not used
7 not used

the last two wires are for the side mirrors...has anybody ever seen autodim side mirrors for the KJ?

At any rate, did this in my 05, ran a wire from pin 1 to the fuse box and spliced pin 2 into the ground wire from the evic. Couldn't find a connection for pin 3, but i think all it does it put the mirror in non darkening mode when backing up, no big deal.

EDIT: don't think my wire colors matched either...if you hold the connector away from you, like you are plugging it in, the 1 pin is on the left side of the connector.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is the connector that plugs into the mirror. I assume the middle (green/black) is ground, but need identification for the other 2

You must be registered for see images

This is the plug into the evic. from left to right, they are pin 2(PCI), pin 3(fused +), pin 4(ground), and pin 5(fused ignition). I would assume I could splice the ground and fused ignition to get it to work, but need to know which plug would be which on the mirror plug in

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that's a different plug than i have...scavenged my mirror off another '05 KJ, so i could use the service manual for a guide. its probably a gentex mirror, check for a model number...i believe my mirror was labeled gtx 187. If it is a gentex, the blue/wt would be power and the purple the backup lamp feed, i believe all their mirrors are wired basically the same way. With a model number, you could confirm that.

You might be able to run it off the same wires as your evic. You could use the fused ignition wire, (fused + would probably leave the mirror on all the time). I chose to run a separate wire to a circuit in the fuse box that included the power mirror because i didn't want to take a chance at blowing a fuse. I believe a ground is a ground tho.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to be careful with running it to your EVIC. Make sure that you actually do it to the EVIC and not the map lights, otherwise the mirror will always be on. As far as the colors, I know there are a couple of different setups. All I did was guess and check to get it to turn on(mirror came from a junkyard, so no instructions) Then after further investigation I found out that the left over wire was to turn off the auto dim when you put the vehicle in reverse. I dont remember what wire in the ECU is for that but you can always just tap into the reverse light wire in your taillight. (so when you put it in reverse the wire tap sends the signal to the mirror and shuts off the auto dim) This might be your best bet. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask!

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen what the factory setup is with the auto dimming mirror? Are there any "plugs" that it goes into, or is it wired further down the line? Just curious, I guess.... (whistle)

Latest posts

Members online