Installing a Cobra 29

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an antenna installed last night. Thinking about hanging the radio off the console on the passenger side. Anyone else have a bigger CB radio mounted in thier Liberty?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got an antenna installed last night. Thinking about hanging the radio off the console on the passenger side. Anyone else have a bigger CB radio mounted in thier Liberty?

I've had my 29 on both sides of the " hump" and under my seat, none work the way I wanted. Passenger side you have to move the seat back due to opening glove box. 29s just a big radio for the space. But if you're like me I like it, its pumping out 15 times the power it did stock ( or maybe more :icon_lol:) so hate to go down to a wimpy regular model

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 29 on both sides of the " hump" and under my seat, none work the way I wanted. Passenger side you have to move the seat back due to opening glove box. 29s just a big radio for the space. But if you're like me I like it, its pumping out 15 times the power it did stock ( or maybe more :icon_lol:) so hate to go down to a wimpy regular model

Oh nothing beats a 29. Have one in my XJ. Got a new one for my new ride, with nightwatch and Bluetooth! I will find a space...lol..who moves the passenger seat up anyway?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I started with my dinky CB wedged between the center console and passenger seat. Had a fat roommate who would smother the thing with her left buttock whenever I had to give her a ride. Moved it down to the side of the cowl on the passenger side and don't like it there either. Next plan is to get a double-din dash adapter and put a single-din radio on the top end and a single-din sized CB under it.

That Cobra 29 looks great. It's about 1/4' too high and 1/2" too wide for my plan or it would be perfect. I may even go to one of the all-in-the-mike units.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I meant profdlp...I wanna see just how large this lady was...perfect10.gif

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 29 is a cool flashback from the past.

I may even go to one of the all-in-the-mike units.

I have one (Cobra 75) in mine, sure makes it easier to find a spot to hang it. I have the main box under the seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
ktmrider: I'm looking forward to seeing your solution. That looks like a great CB. :favorites13:

I think I may have a solution for my problem.

https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/18-wx-st-ii

Exactly single-din in size, has the weather band I like (and use more than the CB itself), plus a front-firing speaker so I won't need to install the external speaker I've had sitting in a box for over a year.

As for the roommate, I will spare you pictures. What with the government stepping in to regulate the Internet I would probably be in violation of something or the other were I to post them. When I had my old Tracker (manual transmission) I had to be very careful where I parked if she was along, since I couldn't get the sucker into reverse due to her saddlebags blocking the stick. 5th gear was a problem, too, though with the extra load on board I usually didn't need it. :happy175:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C'mon, now...there's no shame in liking ***...:flowers2:

The 18WX is a good little radio...that's what I had in the CJ in a Tuffy overhead console and it survived many rough trails and water splashes...pretty good range too....

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If I had liked her I wouldn't be talking about her like this. :icon_lol:

Between you and me, I can forgive a great deal on the outside if what is on the inside is attractive. In her case... :emotions34:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a cobra 29 in my KJ, under the seat, a custom bracket that fit between the sun visors. On the pass side of the console.

The cobra 75 is ok for trail use but imho it *****.

Right now im running a tuned up cobra 25, mounted under my seat with my ham radio, 25 is fed into a 2 pill linear. It talks, i get alot of good things said about it, even batefoot.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a pic, this was in my 06. Still have the bracket if your interested in it. I used a universal mount to hold the cb to the custom bracket.

You must be registered for see images

This is dont to my "02" but it has "newer" aka KK seats. Just made a bracket that goes across and used universal mounts again. You have to get out and adjust the radio unless you can do it blindfolded and upside down. But I stay on 19 and if we are wheeling we stay on one channel. My ham radio stays on the sheriff office dispatch. Works out great for me.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a good place for my 29 since I bought my liberty. Hopefully you come up with something good.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prof the Proclip cell phone mount I have my Scanguage fastened to in the picture would make a good place to mount a small CB you could fasten the bracket to the top of it with just a few screws.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it hooked up and the antenna tuned. The bluetooth picked my phone up right away. Now I can talk on my cell using the CB mike. Waiting on my mount to come.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.