Installed Hella's and light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
With it being deer season on the road ways and my foglights busted I needed some more light so I ended up with the hella 500's. I made a light bar out of 1" rigid aluminum conduit that way I don't have to worry about chipping paint or rusting. Just polish it up every now and then. I attached it with 4 screws through the bumper and into the metal. I used some 1/4" self tapping screws to attach the lights to the conduit. They feel pretty rigid. I haven't had it out yet to see how much light they give, maybe tonight. I wired the switch's +12v from the parking light(rather than the headlight per hella's instructions) that way they can only be on if I have my parking lights on. That way I'll still get the warning chime if I forget I have them on. I think it turned out really well so I thought I'd share.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Looks good!
If you (and everybody else) find that the lights vibrate, you can always use a set of lamp steady bars like the ones shown here:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=HEL741801
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produ...=lamp+steadies&classCode=MSPORT&brandCode=all

Not that I would pay this kind of money for two! I just chose this site because I know they carry them.
I made my own using the mounting hardware parts from a bicycle rack (the type that fits over the rear wheel and holds saddle bags).
All stainless and looks identical to the ones in the first link. IIRC, the total for 4 lamps set me back $5.00 for everything.
No vibes, longer bulb life as well.

Also?
You should fix the factory fog lights! :) Would make your rig look nicer!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Lights!! and I agree with socks.. get the stock fogs fixed! It's nice having 330 watts of lights when driving in heavy rain/snow/Fog and Dark Roads Thats why I got 500FF's on my bumper too :). I added some Grille covers to them and they look great. The Grille covers only cost $20 and I found them at Pep Boys. Check the out my cardomain page. The Pics are at the bottom of page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2539200

Last edited:

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you must have fabricated that yourself, I'm actually considering doing something similar myself. Just not sure if i want PIAA 540's or Hella 700FF's

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
BNJ, I was going to suggest painting it black, and then I saw 501's.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it :cool:

You must have some experience welding aluminum, most of us don't have the equipment or experience.

I have four Hella500's on my roof rack however they aren't street legal in my province. I doubt I could put all four on the bumper...but it would look great idea.gif

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
Well I've had a couple of nights worth of driving and I must say I like the lights. They really help. I'll eventually get the foglights fixed but they are so expensive. That's why I just went with the hella's.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I've got 550 Watts of Lighting. Not to brag but 550-330=Fail. Just waiting for TJKJ02 to trump me.
HID's baby:D,650,000 candle power each(x2) and a 1/4 of the amp draw of one of your Hella's(and only 35watts each).

Headlights--80w/100w 9007's(X2)
OEM fogs--100w 9005's(X2)
Renny lightbar--50w(X4)
KC HID's--35w(x2)

Sure I don't have the watts that you do but do have more candlepower and far less amp draw.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
HID's baby:D,650,000 candle power each(x2) and a 1/4 of the amp draw of one of your Hella's(and only 35watts each).

Headlights--80w/100w 9007's(X2)
OEM fogs--100w 9005's(X2)
Renny lightbar--50w(X4)
KC HID's--35w(x2)

Sure I don't have the watts that you do but do have more candlepower and far less amp draw.

Yes, High intensity discharge lights are the "State of the art" lighting solution... If you can afford them! And yes, they draw less amperage than conventional driving or fog lighting systems available. But, there is nothing wrong with non H.I.D. systems.
Out of curiosity tjkj2002, why haven't you converted the rest of your KJ's lighting to H.I.D.? It's not like it's not available for your head lights, OEM fog lights, "Renny lightbar" lamps (After all, Hella, who made the "Renny lightbar" Also invented H.I.D. lighting!)
So you have 650,000x2 H.I.D. lighting from your less than superior KC lights...
You could of have even more Lumen's from a better set of reflectors from an other company with H.I.D. bulbs!
Just what is your point?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, High intensity discharge lights are the "State of the art" lighting solution... If you can afford them! And yes, they draw less amperage than conventional driving or fog lighting systems available. But, there is nothing wrong with non H.I.D. systems.
Out of curiosity tjkj2002, why haven't you converted the rest of your KJ's lighting to H.I.D.? It's not like it's not available for your head lights, OEM fog lights, "Renny lightbar" lamps (After all, Hella, who made the "Renny lightbar" Also invented H.I.D. lighting!)
So you have 650,000x2 H.I.D. lighting from your less than superior KC lights...
You could of have even more Lumen's from a better set of reflectors from an other company with H.I.D. bulbs!
Just what is your point?
Converting your headlights to HID is illegal,same with OEM fogs.LightForce light are nice but gaudy looking,and since I put my HID's on 3 years ago the ones I had where about the best at the time.KC makes some much better HID's now but mine are more then enough for the intended purpose I wanted them for.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Converting your headlights to HID is illegal,same with OEM fogs..

Well that must suck! I thought DMV over here was bad, but fortunately we don't have that restriction. The only issue we have is how many sets of light we are permitted to have turned on while operating a vehicle on a public road way. All Renagades driving around here have to have their light covers on or disabled while on road.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few restriction details that the RCMP CAN enforce, such as colour of light, lamp height, foglight height in relation to headlights, etc.

Mostly they're interested to see if your "off-road" lamps have opaque covers.

See section 4 for details. http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58_01.htm#section4.09

As far as HID replacements for headlamps, the RCMP could likely ding you for that b/c of 4.02 (2).

My take on this is, it depends on the officer, the situation, how you respond, etc. whether you get "enforced" or not.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
There are a few restriction details that the RCMP CAN enforce, such as colour of light, lamp height, foglight height in relation to headlights, etc.

Mostly they're interested to see if your "off-road" lamps have opaque covers.

See section 4 for details. http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58_01.htm#section4.09

As far as HID replacements for headlamps, the RCMP could likely ding you for that b/c of 4.02 (2).

My take on this is, it depends on the officer, the situation, how you respond, etc. whether you get "enforced" or not.

Believe me, I know all about! I learned the hard way when I was younger!
With the amount of fines I've paid just for lights, I could of had an OME lift kit!
And to think, that I have a RCMP constable as a brother-in-law! Should of asked him first!