In Some Cases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeke1312

Reaction score
I'd like to have my 1993 Grand Cherokee back. I like the 2005 Liberty very much but a recent trip to AZ from NE avg mileage 18.8 and squirrelly in the snow here in NE has me concerned. The GC had a quadramatic transfer drive which made it a great drive in snow. Anyhow, I'm looking at 2007 Wranglers. any comments on how they perform? Oh, the GC would get 19+ on the same trip and had a 318 V8 in it.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
You averaged 18.8MPG? I'd say something is wrong with your Liberty. Squirrely in the snow? Is it a 4x4?
X2, I can average around 22-23 at freeway speed, and I've gotten as much as 25 driving moderately (65 instead of 75, and using cruise). Now that I've got the windcatcher up top I doubt I'll get that high, but I should still be better than 19...

As for the looseness on snow, all I can say is take it easy. I drove thru a bunch back last year and the Jeep did great!

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The looseness in the snow may be in the tires. When I had the OE Goodyears, they were loose even in light rain. Now that I switched to the BFG's, it's stable in dry, wet, snow, mud, whatever.

As far as the mileage, mines not so good either. I get 18-20 on the highway driving it easy, and much worse in the city. I know it could use a tune up, but I'm thinking the heavy A/T tires are a factor too.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, KJ should be perfectly stable with good tires. The short wheelbase Wrangler is squirrelly in the snow, the unlimited version should be fine. But a tune-up & new BFGs should be cheaper! \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never heard of a Quadramatic tcase. We also have a 94 Grand Cherokee..Its called Qudra-trac. Its basically just a fulltime 4wheel drive that has the ability to shift torque to the front wheels when the rear wheels spin.

The kj is heavier than the Grand Cherokee.. Its better in the snow with the right tires. O:)

zeke1312

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Qudra-trac. Anyhow, I had the GC fo 12 yrs and it handled snow great. I'd say a larger percentage of L owners get the same gas mileage as I do, it's just the few who post here that may get a little better mpg. I got 18+ when the L had 3 miles on it, now has 15k. Use mobil 1 5/30 chg every 3k, tires kept inflated 2 pounds above recommended. No, forget the tuneup. If you have to "tweak it", that speaks for itself. Libery, in fact all Jeeps are not known as gas sippers. Yes, I know 4x (yes, that's what I have) are not great on mpg, but I hoped I'd do better than my GC.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
zeke1312 said:
Sorry, I meant Qudra-trac. Anyhow, I had the GC fo 12 yrs and it handled snow great. I'd say a larger percentage of L owners get the same gas mileage as I do, it's just the few who post here that may get a little better mpg. I got 18+ when the L had 3 miles on it, now has 15k. Use mobil 1 5/30 chg every 3k, tires kept inflated 2 pounds above recommended. No, forget the tuneup. If you have to "tweak it", that speaks for itself. Libery, in fact all Jeeps are not known as gas sippers. Yes, I know 4x (yes, that's what I have) are not great on mpg, but I hoped I'd do better than my GC.
I know it's easy to think that forum people are a small population of an opinion, but something like gas mileage... well... I'd be willing to say that most people really are getting the mileage posted by the rest of us. The Liberty isn't a gas sipper, but it's quite fuel efficient for the whole package.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Hemi gets around 16mpg doing 75-80mph.. At least I get better than that. I was getting 19mpg at 70-75mph today. Thats with the lift and tires. \:D/

zeke1312

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies I've read. Yes I like our Jeep Liberty which I ordered from the factory and picked up 7 weeks after ordering. One day off the rail car and 3 miles on it. Fresh, no showroom/lot time. I traced the order from entry to build, rail load ship to, unload, truck to dealer via a website provided.

Even had "Built expressly for "(my name)" on the sticker. I added Sirius after driving it for a month but should have ordered from the factory. Best Buy did an excellent install. I also selected cloth over leather which standard on the Limited. Bad choice. If the seat even thinks it's going to see water, i.e., rain drops from opening a door, it stains.

Well maybe when I need to replace worn tires I will select a mfg that will perform better. Gas mileage, well I have to accept what I get.

Oh, we also own a 2000 Suzuki 2dr 4x. It likes to play in snow. In the desert (we travel to AZ), put it 4Lo, let it idle...it moves mountains, can't stop it. We don't do the L there.