Improving gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my KJ a few weeks now and have just finished my first full tank, about 60% town driving. Drove it like a girl and got 13mpg for the tank. If I listen carefully I think I can hear it gargling petrol :gr_grin:

I just got rid of a BMW X3 2.0d XDrive 2012 model and it had a lifetime consumption of 28mpg and I drove it hard. My daily driver is an older Audi A3 2.0 FSI and annual average is 26mpg

Just fitted new tyres and did a service but still need to do rear diff and transfer case oils, plus I think I need to look at the other items mentioned here.
Talk about petrol pump shock:Insane:
But I've got to admit "Pumba" is growing on me:gr_grin: and none of those other cars can tow my boat on the beach

:happy175:
Think I need one of those Gas Guzzler rated trail stickers.
Filled up Friday afternoon, short drive home and then took my wife to the local shops today, short drive, currently sitting at 9.5mpg according to OBC since filling up:happy175:

Something is not correct... this is MILES per gallon? No reason any well operating 3.7 KJ should not be able to pull 15-17mpg city/mixed driving provided you aren't using the gas pedal like an electric golf cart, ON or OFF.

Made this one just for you, just take it to the local vinyl sticker shop! :gr_grin:
You must be registered for see images attach

I hope you don't mind, I also saved this image! It's perfect. I'll see if the guy who made my hood vinyl can print some of these up.

These 3.7s like higher RPMs it seems, can not lug them down
My 03 does not like it around here I know, one lane dirt roads, then onto county roads, curvy, twisty, up and down hills , run with OD off but still doesn't help that much. Now get it out on Interstate and at 75 MPH or so it just sits and hums along getting great mileage.

I think this engine certainly likes to be there in terms of power delivery, it really does sing and run smooth as hell from 3000rpm and up. BUT, I drive mine very conservatively, think a couple notches above old man driving to church on Sunday. Not pathetically slow to where it annoys other drivers, but I am rarely in a hurry and the KJ almost always shifts to the next gear by 3k rpm .. unless I really need to scoot and get up to speed like a highway entrance ramp, then I trounce on it.

I drive two-lane rural road, 55mph cruise control set, to work, 15 miles each way, M-F. Weekends I may do some around town, stop and go, 20 miles round trip tops. Occasionally I drive to Detroit for work, 250 mile round trip or so, 70-72mph cruise control set on I-75.

In winter, I avg 17-18.5mpg, both according to the EVIC and my own numbers. Summer time, 19mpg minimum, upwards of 22. On a dedicated run up north, 55mph, cruise control on, 100 miles total, for that trip I have seen as high as 26. Must have had a tail wind.

I'll have to try winding it up a bit higher on the revs and see how it changes the mileage. It isn't bad at all now, so I don't see how it could improve.

BassMunn

Reaction score
Thanks LibertyTC - That's awesome :gr_grin:

I have been converting to MPG for this thread, I normally work in L/100km.

Today I did a fair bit of highway, no traffic jams, so started at 25L/100 (9.4mpg) this morning and got it down to 19L/100 (12.38mpg) after about 60kms of tickling the throttle.

BassMunn

Reaction score
To respond to the comments, yes I expected around 15 - 17mpg based on fuelly reports I have read and what has been said here, plus better on long trips.
I do tend to let it rev low, coming from a diesel motor, will try turning OD off and try more accelerate and coast, must say it coasts pretty well. And the engine has a definite note change when it hits 3000rpm and starts to make power

Need to get stuck into the servicing more, got plugs today (copper) and look into the PCV valve thingy and throttle body.
Just trying to finish off my boat project first and then she will get her well deserved attention.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
with 31s and 4.10s my OD is always off until I hit highway speed
Issue with where I live now , I run way more dirt roads and 1.5 lane chip and seal twisty roads than anything else which kills mileage. ( 30-45 MPH max on them usually )

BassMunn

Reaction score
Got stuck into the KJ today to try figure out her thirst.
Changed plugs, the plugs I took out were the correct length but not the correct spec and then I proceeded to take the throttle body off. Right off the bat I find the two top bolts loose, hmmm that looks promising.
Cleaned it all up nicely, put it back together and then took it for the same 2 loops I did last weekend.

The results:

Old
Loop 1 = 9mpg
Loop 2 = 13mpg

New
Loop 1 = 13mpg
Loop 2 = 15mpg

And I drove it faster, much better throttle response with noticeably more torque.
Now it feels like I expected a big V6 to feel :gr_grin: